Reduced for sale meat

We have only done it with beef but never had any problems. I usually put it in the freezer as soon as we get home from the store. I've kept it in the freezer for weeks and still no problems. I do use it either right from the freezer or with just a couple hours thaw.

I often buy reduced beef but I don't buy reduced pork or chicken. I worry too much about it being slightly off...just me. However, that being said I have had beef that is slightly off in smell too so, I think it can be the store or just something that happened with that particular package. For the most part I feel comfortable buying reduced beef anytime and either cooking that night or freezing immediately. I just can't bring myself to do that with chicken or pork. A little OCD I am sure but I don't want to take the chance.

Kelly

Me too! Not sure why, I will do it with beef but not chicken (we are a pork free house).

Never had a problem with it. I always check things over and give it the sniff test anyway.

I agree with Winnapooh. I buy reduced meat and chicken all the time but got some chicken one time at a certain store and will not buy meat there again. Like everyone else I either cook it that night or freeze it. I have also found if I find a roast I like at 1/2 off I will sometimes ask the butcher to grind it up. Really good hamburger.:thumbsup2

I absolutely do not buy it. It's reduced because it's either close to or at it's expiration date. Most of the time expiring that day. The store just wants to get rid of it. They're not trying to help you. They are however trying not to throw it out and just make something on it. My dad was a research chemist before he retired and he said it's just not worth the risk. Chicken in particular goes bad very easily and can make you very sick. Cooking does not kill it all. People get sick from tainted food a lot more often than they think. A lot of "stomach bugs" aren't something you caught. They're food related illnesses.

I buy reduced meats at a store I trust. the meats are 2 days usually from there due dates. at 50% off it's a steal! The grocery chains are tring hard to cut costs and one way is to cut waste so the have been marking anything with in 2 days of expirey( I've had many 4 days too) 50% off which for them is alot cheaper then selling it to pig farmers.

OP here--thanks for all the replies!
I think I will shy away from chicken after this experience. Maybe I will try some beef, if it still looks really good from one of our better local stores. (I have seen some nasty looking stuff at Kroger:eek: . Couldn't believe they would even be allowed to sell it.)

I am also one to stock up on meat when it is on sale (advertised price). I need to check if there is much of a price difference.

Thanks again to everyone for their comments. :goodvibes

(I have seen some nasty looking stuff at Kroger . Couldn't believe they would even be allowed to sell it.)

I refuse to shop at Kroger unless it is litterally just running in to pick up a can of kidney beans for Cinci chili or some curry paste, ect. When we first moved here we tried shopping there, but the amount of expired product on their shelves was insane. Lunch meats and cheeses were the worst. They were not marked in anyway, but just there mixed in with the newer stuff. Plus, we are not talking like 1 day, I mean more like a week expired. It was nasty.

We don't eat chicken... but we buy quick sale fish all the time and haven't ever had a bad experience.

In your case I think the biggest problem was that you, yourself didn't taste the chicken. For all you know the kids wanted pizza and were trying to manipulate you or the grease you used to cook it in was sour.... I don't think I would ever just toss something like that without tasting it myself... In fact my wife and I always taste the fish we buy prior to letting the kids have any just in case it is bad.

Since I buy almost all my meat on sale or at Costco, I never even look at the reduced meat! And the thought of it really doesn't thrill me, I'd rather pay full price than take the chance of a food related illness, because they are not fun.

We don't eat chicken... but we buy quick sale fish all the time and haven't ever had a bad experience.

In your case I think the biggest problem was that you, yourself didn't taste the chicken. For all you know the kids wanted pizza and were trying to manipulate you or the grease you used to cook it in was sour.... I don't think I would ever just toss something like that without tasting it myself... In fact my wife and I always taste the fish we buy prior to letting the kids have any just in case it is bad.

No way I could have tasted it after getting it in my head that something was wrong. KWIM? Couldn't bring myself to do it. Honestly, even now I doubt I could eat a drumstick because of the bad chicken thought. Just how I am.

I cooked the fresh chicken breasts in the same oil, so I know it wasn't that. My kids were so excited to have fried chicken. They have never turned their noses up at it. They were excited for dinner. The oldest son who told me it tasted "weird" is 13 and he is straight with that stuff.
Now, my youngest if he decides he wants something else he will make up a story (his favorite is "I'm allergic"), so if it was his comment I'd think maybe.

Although, I should have tasted it BEFORE giving it to the boys as you suggested.

I buy reduced meat at our local Giant Eagle, and reduced bakery products too. I don't usually buy chicken, I'm wary of that, but others meats I'll buy and I've never had a problem with any of it. I either cook it that same day or freeze it immediately. I don't shop there every week though because their prices are high. I've found the best times to get reduced items is in the evenings, right before closing.

I liked the tip from a PP about shopping in the days following Thanksgiving. I'm going to give that a try this year! :goodvibes

Now, our local Shop N Saves are another story, I will not buy anything reduced from them. I've seen reduced meat that looks bad, and reduced bakery products with mold! Blech. I also saw a sign once behind the deli counter instructing employees to change the lettuce on the hoagie sandwiches daily. Eek. To me that implies that they hoagies sit there for days on end, no? :confused3

Needless to say, I buy little to no meat at that store. :rotfl:

I buy reduced meat all the time with great results.:) I won't buy the meat if it is discolored in any way or if it looks "off".

Chicken is a "delicate" material, it turns bad quickly (even "long" before the date on it) for example because of how warm it is where you live). Yes, it is refrigerated in the store, and you put it in the fridge at home, but it has been in your cart, car, ...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter