Redbox no Blindside!

rstamm

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
I called Rebox to find out why blindside is not available and she told me that the movie company took Redbox to court and the the ruling was they have to wait 28 days to be able to rent it.

Why can Blockbuster rent it for $5 but Redbox can't rent it for $1.

How is it legal to not let one rental company rent a DVD but others can?????

This is outrageous I thought the government is suppose to help the consumer and not make us pay higher prices for the same item.

She also said some companys are making them wait 5 days to start renting it.

Does anyone know how this happened?

Not sure of the exact reasons rentals are being held. But, yes, you'll find that both Netflix and Redbox are being told to hold off renting for a certain number of days for many DVDs.

I use to use my Netflix list to know when a new DVD would be coming available for purchase (so I could go out and get it the first day/week) but can't rely on it anymore. (I add the films when they are in the theater, so I'll be able to remember to see them later).

i was wondering why i had to wait until april 20th to get it from netflix-that stinks!

The way I understand it is the Time Warner and Netflix, along with a few other rental places (Redbox, etc) have reached an agreement that they will wait 28 days before renting certain Time Warner releases (this might be at the studio's discretion, I don't know) and in return, they get cheaper pricing on the DVDs that they purchase.

It's a good money saving deal for Netflix and Redbox.

It's good for Time Warner, as they can use their contract with Blockbuster to get them to pay higher prices.

But, the main reason Time Warner is doing this is in hopes that consumers will just go out and buy the movie, instead of waiting or going to Blockbuster.

Again, this is just how I understood it from the various news stories I have seen.

Poppycock! I rented Blindside from Blockbusters kiosk Tuesday and returned it yesterday. It was excellent!

I have to wait for netflix too, so I just rented it off of "on demand" cable yesterday for $5. Convenient.

I noticed the same thing! However, I have no patience for waiting so I bought it at Wal-mart for $15.98!! :lmao: I figured I saved at least that much on my purchases of TS1 and TS2 from TRU!! :eek:

This deal save the consumer money in the long-run.

If every movie could come to the discount renters earlier, movie companies would lose out on DVD sales and from more profitable renter contracts (like Blockbuster). This lost profit would eventually be passed on to the consumer through higher rates via RedBox and Netflix.

Bottom line: want to rent a movie for $1? Wait a month. Sounds fair to me.

That is strange. I rented the Blindside from my redbox last Tuesday. If i am not mistaken it was the day it came out.

We have netflix and could care less about this ruling. It won't force me to run out and buy the movie. I can wait 28 days if I am saving money!

Well that explains the wait on Where The Wild Things Are thru Netflix then. I've already seen it, but I didn't like enough to buy it. DH wants to see it though, so at some point it'll make it to the top of our Netflix.

Having to wait 28 days isn't going to make me rush out and buy it. We just don't buy movies we haven't seen. With just under 400 dvds, we don't have the space to be buying any we don't know we'll watch again.

That is strange. I rented the Blindside from my redbox last Tuesday. If i am not mistaken it was the day it came out.

Redbox is blocked from buying DVD's from certain studios directly for 28 days, but that doesn't mean that they can't just buy copies from the store like everyone else and put it in the box. If you notice, sometimes the picture on the screen isn't the actual box cover, it's different. When you see that, it means that it is stocked with their own copies, and not the rental copies bought from the distributors. The Redbox reps know they'll make the money back if it's in their box, so why wait and lose that profit to the Blockbuster kiosks (which in my opinion aren't nearly as good)

We just went and got Where the Wild Things are from Redbox with a free code then wait for it to come out on Netflix. There is no way I will buy a movie without seeing it first. Sorry Time Warner, I'm not going to buy it.

If Netflix and Redbox don't have it, I'll just wait.

same here - if Redbox or Netflix don't have it, I can wait! There is NO way I am signing up for Blockbuster ever again (due to beyond terrible customer service)- I don't care what deals they cut!!!!

None of this is going to make me more likely to buy a DVD!!!!!

I usually only buy ones I have enough interest in that I have gone to see it at the theatre: Disney usually!:)

:wizard:

This is outrageous I thought the government is suppose to help the consumer and not make us pay higher prices for the same item.
I don't see where the government fits in with arrangements and deals legally made between businessess,.

:eek:,:ssst:, hope they don't find out!!!!:rotfl:

I personally love our local Family Video store. Does anyone else here have those nearby? Good prices and we never have to wait.

It's just certain new releases from Warner Bros that have to wait to be rented at the box. If people wait from the time it is at the theater to when it is in the box why would it be so they buy it instead of waiting another month? The logic is not there.

As for Family Video their new releases are almost $4 to rent went at red box you can rent 4 movies for at $1 each for the same price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter