• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Red Eye

This is my problem...My DD had her first dance...I have a lot of red eye in the pictures...

OK, I used canon red eye, it only took out one red eye.
Microsoft something...use it, took out all red eye but when I print out the picture there is still red eye!:headache:

I even used Adobe 3, same problem, :mad:

Any suggestions?

I have a Canan S3

The best way to avoid the dreaded "Red Eye" is not use on board flash. It's caused by the reflection of the flash off the back of the retina and happens when the subject is looking right at the flash and the flash is in-line with the lens. I know that is tough when that's all you've got.

Beyond that, if you can get the subject to turn slightly when taking the picture. I know that both PhotoShop and PaintShop Pro has some very effective red-eye removal tools.

I am probably the worst person to comment on photo editing since I am terrible at it. However, I can do red eye. I use Picasa2 and you actually define the red eye area that you want corrected. And the program is free! Just google Picasa2.

Be sure to save your image after correcting red eye - if you don't save, the original (with the red eye) is what will be printed.

Hi Everyone,

This is the first time that I am posting on this board. I hope someone can help. I love taking pictures, but am not a photographer by any means. I am pretty clueless when it comes to settings and things like that (I don't even know the proper terms, sorry.) I received the Olympus Stylus 850sw as a birthday gift. I thought that it would be good to have for everyday use and not have to worry about it getting wet or dropping it. Every picture that I have taken, especially of DS has redeye and it is driving me crazy. The red eye reduction flash thing doesn't eliminate it either. Is it just a crappy camera or is there something that I am doing wrong? I also have a Canon powershot A590 that does the same thing, but I am able to correct it on the camera before I download the pictures into my computer.

If anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Most point and shoot cameras are really bad for red-eye, as the distance (angle) from the flash to the lens is too short (narrow).
There is not alot that you can do, but using photoshop or another program is not usually that bad for making the edits. Even windows photo gallery can fix red eye.

Does your DS have blue eyes? Lighter eye colors are prone to red-eye no matter what you do. I have brown eyes and my sister has blue eyes, she looks demonic in most pics of us together!

I wonder what would happen if you took two photos back-to-back. I know that a red-eye reduction pre-flash should help constricts the pupils, but I wonder if the second shot after a full flash would look better?

Using red-eye fixes on most editing software should do the trick.

D4D

Red eye is tough. Because of the location of the flash in relation to the lens there becomes a reflection off the back of the retina. Because the back of the retina is mostly blood vessels it gives the "red eye". You get it almost always with indoor pictures taken with a flash because while we are indoors our eyes dilate to allow more light so we can see. When a flash goes off the iris is WIDE open letting in ALL kinds of extra light.

Ways around it with a PnS: Change the angle of the camera. Don't take the picture straight on, try a slightly lower or slightly higher angle. What the red eye redution is supposed to do is send off a pre-flash to close the iris. Sometimes it works other times it doesn't.

Best way to fix it with digital.... the computer. Just about every basic photo editing software has a red eye reduction tool. Many of them will do it automatically with the touch of a button. You probably have something that came with your camera that will work fine.

Thanks for the responses and the suggestions. DS does have light eyes and it makes sense that I only really notice the red eye when we are indoors. I will definitely try to change angles and try taking two pictures in a row. If all else fails I guess I can use the photo editing software (was just trying to be lazy.) Thanks again.:)

Most point and shoot cameras are really bad for red-eye, ...

Most dSLR cameras have the same problem with the built-in popup flash.

The only solution is to get a large external flash which can bounce the light off the ceiling. It's a bit awkward to carry around, but totally eliminates red-eye.

-Paul

The only solution is to get a large external flash which can bounce the light off the ceiling. It's a bit awkward to carry around, but totally eliminates red-eye.
-Paul
I beg to differ. I have an external flash, bounced and still manage to get red eye. It helps but it doesn't totally eliminate it.

Red eye is tough. Because of the location of the flash in relation to the lens there becomes a reflection off the back of the retina. Because the back of the retina is mostly blood vessels it gives the "red eye".

I totally agree this is true but, how come a dog gets green-eye? I'm thinking dogs have green blood and are, therefore, aliens!

I totally agree this is true but, how come a dog gets green-eye? I'm thinking dogs have green blood and are, therefore, aliens!

I think that of many dogs...especially those hairless ones (Chinese Crested?)

And I thought that many times about my old dogs. They were far smarter than they were supposed to be... perhaps they were Vulcan dachshunds???? :confused3

Animals have a reflective layer in the back of their eyes behind the retina called the tapetum. This layer enhances their night vision. The color of the tapetum gives you blue, green, yellow, or white eye effect.

Most dSLR cameras have the same problem with the built-in popup flash.

-Paul
I disagree. DSLRs are far less prone to red-eye than PnSs. It's all about how close the flash is to the lens.

You can get red-eye with the onboard flash with a DSLR, but it's much rarer, and usually only in shots where you're a bit farther away from the subject (and hence a narrower angle of reflection.)

An external flash certainly helps, though... since it's further away. That's another reason for a wedding photographers to use a rig to hold the flash even further away from the camera.

I disagree. DSLRs are far less prone to red-eye than PnSs. It's all about how close the flash is to the lens.

You can get red-eye with the onboard flash with a DSLR, but it's much rarer, and usually only in shots where you're a bit farther away from the subject (and hence a narrower angle of reflection.)

An external flash certainly helps, though... since it's further away. That's another reason for a wedding photographers to use a rig to hold the flash even further away from the camera.

Actually, red-eye happens all the time with the pop-up flashes on SLRs. It's just not quite as pronounced as with P&S cameras, because SLRs tend to have the pop-up flash a bit higher in relation to the lens, but it's not rare, and it happens with up-close subjects, too.

It's all about the angles.

I'd say its somewhere in between rare and all the time with a dSLR's popup flash. I have gotten red-eye with my popup flash, but far from all the time, but it does happen a little more often than I would like. Thankfully I don't use the popup flash very often. With my PnS I would get it all the time.

Like Kyle said...

Out of, oh, the 24,000 or so DSLR pics I've taken, I can only recall getting noticeable red-eye with probably less than 5.

It can happen, but it's much more rare. That's all I'm saying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter