Recreation!

Pancakes

Mouseketeer
HI. So does anyone know any good blogs/vlogs for the recreation role? I know, generally, what responsibilities of rec is. But I haven't heard any feedback about the role whether people liked it or hated it. Any stories or blogs?

Hey Pancakes!

I got this role too for WDW SP 2013. The only thing that I have found so far is a vlog about Slide Ops and the costume. (Which I think is pretty legit). I had friends that did the program before but they didn't know anyone in recreation. I'm also curious to see how many people got offered this role.

I'm also in Spring 2013 and I got the role of Recreation. I wish more people would blog about it because I've heard of a few people who had friends of friends with the role. So far all I've heard in that during off season if you get sent to a water park you're put into another role elsewhere in the park. So for example I think it's Blizzard Beach is going through rennovations, you'll be sent to work at Typhoon Lagoon or as a Main Street operator or something until the renovations finish.

I've taken it upon myself to document my entire process so that future CP's aren't so confused when they get assigned the role! :)

Thank you ohemgrace! That would be a great recourse for any of the other CPs. When are yall's move in? I'm coming in on Jan 29th! really curious if we'll be working together!

Thank you ohemgrace! That would be a great recourse for any of the other CPs. When are yall's move in? I'm coming in on Jan 29th! really curious if we'll be working together!

Haha I hope it'll at least guide the future CP's so they aren't near as lost as we are! I move in on January 15th! I'm so excited to find out where I'm working and who I'll be working with! Hopefully other CP's!

I'm a Fall 2013 hopeful and I'm really interested in the recreation role. I've googled and searched youtube and there just doesn't seem to be much info about it compared to something like custodial or quick-service food and beverage. I would love to hear about your experiences! :)

If you're interested in following my experiences, my blog is gracedoesdisney.tumblr.com

Of course, I haven't been able to talk too much about my role since I haven't started it. It's been mostly just advice during your interviews and what not for now. Soon though, soon. :)

If you're interested in following my experiences, my blog is gracedoesdisney.tumblr.com

Of course, I haven't been able to talk too much about my role since I haven't started it. It's been mostly just advice during your interviews and what not for now. Soon though, soon. :)

I'll definitely be following along on your blog! :) I can't wait to hear about your experiences and more of what this role entails.

Howdy y'all!! I think I can be of some assistance on this thread... I am currently a Recreation CP at Fort Wilderness and the Wilderness Lodge, and I love it!! There are 3 different Recreation roles... slide ops, marina, and kid's activities. If you work slide ops you will be at Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon being a button pusher for water slides. If you work kid's activities you will be at a resort running kids arts and crafts, pool games, dance parties, that sort of thing. And if you are marina you will also work at a resort, but depending where you are located your role might vary. You will work at a dock and cashier renting out boats, but a lot of resorts offer different rec activities. For example, between my 2 resorts I work 2 docks, 2 cashiers, Bike Barn (renting out bikes, canoes, kayaks, fishing gear), and golf cart rentals. However, most of those are at Fort Wilderness which is a campground, and has a lot of different Rec activities than other resorts. Some resorts have arcade as a Rec role as well, so it all depends. Anyway, I love my job and working at the marina, so if you have a preference that is what I would recommend! My hours are great, basically 9-5. I have a lot of variety in what I do too, which is an added bonus. If you work slide ops you will also have good hours, but kid's activities will work late nights. Anyway, if you have any questions at all please let me know and I would be happy to answer!

Howdy y'all!! I think I can be of some assistance on this thread... I am currently a Recreation CP at Fort Wilderness and the Wilderness Lodge, and I love it!! There are 3 different Recreation roles... slide ops, marina, and kid's activities. If you work slide ops you will be at Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon being a button pusher for water slides. If you work kid's activities you will be at a resort running kids arts and crafts, pool games, dance parties, that sort of thing. And if you are marina you will also work at a resort, but depending where you are located your role might vary. You will work at a dock and cashier renting out boats, but a lot of resorts offer different rec activities. For example, between my 2 resorts I work 2 docks, 2 cashiers, Bike Barn (renting out bikes, canoes, kayaks, fishing gear), and golf cart rentals. However, most of those are at Fort Wilderness which is a campground, and has a lot of different Rec activities than other resorts. Some resorts have arcade as a Rec role as well, so it all depends. Anyway, I love my job and working at the marina, so if you have a preference that is what I would recommend! My hours are great, basically 9-5. I have a lot of variety in what I do too, which is an added bonus. If you work slide ops you will also have good hours, but kid's activities will work late nights. Anyway, if you have any questions at all please let me know and I would be happy to answer!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I have a quick question, that maybe you can answer. I'm hoping for Childrens Activites because I love working with kids and I hope to be a teacher one day. I was wondering if maybe you knew someone up there who was doing Childrens Activites in their program or maybe a regular CM that does it. How are those hours? I know you said late nights but I'm assuming we aren't talking Magic Kingdom late nights (like 3-4 in the morning)... What does your costume look like since you work in the rec areas but not exactly next to water (what are you required to wear)? Can you cross train in recreation?

I'll probably come up with a few more, but for now this is it. :)

I found out that I'm Recreation (H/H) so I'm assuming I'm the marina, bike rentals, etc, or the arcade. You can find out what you are on your dashboard!

I'm a little bummed that I'm not childrens activities, but I'm hoping I'm at a marina!

Omg, I'm so excited because I got Children's Activities! It's perfect because I want to be a teacher in the future, so I need to get used to being around kids and controlling groups! :)

Omg, I'm so excited because I got Children's Activities! It's perfect because I want to be a teacher in the future, so I need to get used to being around kids and controlling groups! :)

Ahhhhh I'm super excited for you!!!! :) I love working with children. I've been a camp counselor for three years and I work in a day care so Children's Activities is definitely my dream role!

During your interview, did they ask you any specific recreation questions? If they did, were these questions more about recreation in general or more geared towards children's activities?

Sorry for all these questions. Applications come out soon-ish for Fall 2013. I'm struggling with whether to apply for recreation as I know I'd be really incredibly super happy in children's activities, but I'm not sure how I feel about other possible recreation roles besides children's activities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter