Recommended Sites for 1/2 Marathons and Marathons?

Rupert B Puppenstein

DIS Veteran
I am trying to plan out my schedule for 2012 and need some non-Disney races to fill in some of the gaps between my Disney races. :) Any recommendations for races in the Southeast or Eastern United States or for any sites that give ratings? What is good about a race, etc.? Nice medals are always a plus! :teeth:

The marathon aggregation sites I check are:

Marathon Guide

Competitor (for Rock N Roll events)

Ahotu

Half2Run

Many have comments and reviews.

Most major cities have at least one marathon per year so if there is a city you want to visit just Google that city + marathon (Charlotte marathon) and you'll find a race there.

Some races I'd recommend based on my experiences or experiences of my friends:

Richmond marathon - beautiful course, nice medals, good crowd support, not crowded on the course

Charlotte half marathon - there's a full here too, but the half gets the best part of the course

RnR Virginia Beach half - bands, concerts, and soaking your feet in the ocean while drinking a beer after the race

Marine Corps marathon - great crowds, great scenery and stuff in DC to look at, great support from the Marines

Thanks guys!! I will definitely check those links out and those races. I have heard so many great things about the Marine Corps Marathon that I definitely need to try to get into that one next year!!

Thanks guys!! I will definitely check those links out and those races. I have heard so many great things about the Marine Corps Marathon that I definitely need to try to get into that one next year!!

Yes, I've also heard great thing about MCM. I am 90% committed to it - just need to confirm some logistics, and get a bib transferred to me, b/c it sold out within just a few hours, so I heard! Something to think about if you decide to do it next year.

My backup is Charlotte Thunder Road (since I live in Charlotte) - it's a great race apparently, it's challenging though, with rolling hills.

Also, Myrtle Beach has a half in October, and a full/half in February. Supposedly a very fun and nice course, and very FLAT.

My backup is Charlotte Thunder Road (since I live in Charlotte) - it's a great race apparently, it's challenging though, with rolling hills.

Thunder Road is a great race. I ran it the first year, when it was still in December, and loved it. The first half of the course is gorgeous, taking you through lots of pretty neighborhoods with huge trees, nice homes, etc. Definitely worth doing.

Try RunningintheUSA.com

You can search by region, time of year, distance. I have found many a race this way. Going to Washington DC in October and wanted to see if there was anything I could participate in while I am there. It took no time to find a 10K that fit right into my schedule.

Hope this helps.

It's a fantastic race if you can manage it. I highly recommend it!

I'll second the Myrtle Beach Mini Marathon in October (there is a Marathon/Half Marathon weekend in February as well, but the October one has by far the best bling :lmao: ).

Ton of stuff in FL during the winter:

RnR St. Pete
Gasparilla
Sarasota Half
Ft. Desoto
Iron Girl
Run with Donna
ING Miami
Women's Half
Space Coast

I know it's far but a bucket list race may be the Mt. Washington Road Race in Gorham, NH. It's a tough one but worth every bit of effort.

Question: what is the difference between a mini marathon and a half marathon. A friend lives in Myrtle Beach and is trying to talk me into doing the Mini Marathon. I checked out their site and still could not figure it out. Thanks!

Question: what is the difference between a mini marathon and a half marathon. A friend lives in Myrtle Beach and is trying to talk me into doing the Mini Marathon. I checked out their site and still could not figure it out. Thanks!

Mini Marathon usually refers to a half-marathon, and that is the case with the Myrtle Beach one.

Try RunningintheUSA.com

You can search by region, time of year, distance. I have found many a race this way. Going to Washington DC in October and wanted to see if there was anything I could participate in while I am there. It took no time to find a 10K that fit right into my schedule.

Hope this helps.

I agree....RunningintheUSA is my favorite site! :)

I just ran the Air Force Half Marathon last Saturday. My third 1/2 marathon. I don't have a lot of races to compare it too, but I thought it was very well organized. It is run on the Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, OH.

The goodie bag, tech shirt, etc. were very good. There is a full, half, or 10K option. Plenty of hydration stations. Jet fly-overs. A free beer at the finish among other post race food and activities.

Each year they are supposed to have a different jet on the medals. Spectators were allowed to tour the Air Force Museum while waiting for their runners.

Plenty of hotels and restaurants were nearby and it was very easy to get to the race. (Shelby, I stayed at a Holiday Inn. :) )

There was not a lot of music or spectators along the course. I think that is because it is actually run on the base so they have to limit certain areas to runners only. But it was a very enjoyable run! I would consider running it again next year, but also want to try some other races too. It is nice that we have a lot of options to choose from!

I just ran the Air Force Half Marathon last Saturday. My third 1/2 marathon. I don't have a lot of races to compare it too, but I thought it was very well organized. It is run on the Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, OH.

The goodie bag, tech shirt, etc. were very good. There is a full, half, or 10K option. Plenty of hydration stations. Jet fly-overs. A free beer at the finish among other post race food and activities.

Each year they are supposed to have a different jet on the medals. Spectators were allowed to tour the Air Force Museum while waiting for their runners.

Plenty of hotels and restaurants were nearby and it was very easy to get to the race. (Shelby, I stayed at a Holiday Inn. :) )

There was not a lot of music or spectators along the course. I think that is because it is actually run on the base so they have to limit certain areas to runners only. But it was a very enjoyable run! I would consider running it again next year, but also want to try some other races too. It is nice that we have a lot of options to choose from!

Thanks for reporting about that race. I will have to check it out. We have one like that in South Georgia in January - my only free weekend between the Goofy and Tinkerbell. Not sure if doing another half that month would be good, or just asking for a wheelchair reservation. :rotfl:

Glad there was a Holiday Inn nearby! It is an added bonus for figuring out if I will attend a race or not. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter