Recommended places for DDP Counter Service Meals

mumwiththree

Earning My Ears
Hi all

Would you be kind enough to recommended the best places in the parks/resorts/DTD for counter service meals.

Many thanks

In Epcot Future World - Sunshine Seasons gets my vote. Nice selection of different things.

DTD - can't go wrong with Earl of Sandwich or Wolfgang Pucks
MK - We like Caseys for hot dogs, and Peco Bills for he excellent burgers

Will leave others to recommend the other parks as haven't eaten counter service in them for a while - generally finish by lunchtime and head to DTD to eat!!

Hi all

Would you be kind enough to recommended the best places in the parks/resorts/DTD for counter service meals.

Many thanks

I think it's to do with personal preference - we like:

1. MK - Columbia Harbour House when it's busy - really quiet upstairs and the food's pretty good for park food (and different) but as you are a mum of 3, you might like Cosmic Rays - good variety with 3 separate food lines (different foods including burgers) and it's good to watch Sonny Eclipse (look him up on YouTube!)

2 AK - Flame Tree BBQ

3. Epcot - Norway (forget the official name of the quick service place) for it's open sandwiches also Lotus Blossom (China) and English chippy

4. DHS - we always liked Starrin Rolls but not a great use of CS credit - Backlot is OK but not the best in CS here.

5. DTD - Wolfgang Puck Express is pretty good - also liked the CS next to Raglan Road (forgot the name again - not doing too well thinking tonite!) Earl of Sandwich is excellent but cheap and not the best use of a CS credit.

6. Resorts - we liked Pepper Market at CSR - usually there's a service charge but you don't pay this if your on DDP. Great choice here including steak - best bang for your buck on DDP.

Don't know which resort you are staying at but we've been to most and IMO not many are worth visiting just for CS offerings - I think the values are probably best for CS choices.

Having done our 2009 trip on the QSDP - we researched the best counter service locations a lot.

One of the best has to be Wolfgang Puck Express in DTD - by Rainforest. Fab menu, massive plates of food and..... they bring it to your table and you get to eat with metal cutlery!!

Other favourites we had were in Epcot, depending on the families tastes (my hubby is a chef and our kids east a wide variety of food) we liked eating at the Counter Service in Morrocco,the mexican counter service is also good.

I liked Yak & Yeti in AK too and Flame Tree BBQ - again nice to have something different.

Never eaten there -but many rave about Sunshine Seasons in epcot - again massive variety.

What hotel are you staying at as their foodcourt may be good too -I know OKW is rather poor but as we are so close to DTD we are not bothered.

The menu searchon wdwinfo is great as you can search by Dining plan, counter service etc and see what suits you.

Thank you for such prompt responses!

We shall be staying at OKW from 16th October. I have already printed out the disney counter service leaflet so know roughly were most of the places are - but recommendations are key for me and it would be nice to head somewhere the food is good and plentiful.

The children want to experience different menus too so we are keen for them (and us) to try whats on offer! BTW I have read in one of the guide books that the children's options are rather limited, how true is this?

Another vote for WPE and Pepper market here.

One night my wife fancied a pizza from pepper Market and we were shocked when told both the 8" and the 14" with a drink and dessert count as just 1 Qs meal, great value as it could feed two or three!

Places we like
DTD Wolfgang Puck Express (fave by a country mile)

Resorts POFQ, POR & Mara (AKL)

MK Columbia Harbour House or Pecos Bills

Epcot Electric Umberella

Studios Back lot Express

AK Restaurantosaurus

Only 2 places I can think of we woundn't go back to Old Port Royale Food Court @ CBR & Earl of Sandwich

another vote for the columbia harbour house at MK. we find it the best CS in MK.

also the chippy next to raglan road at downtown disney is pretty good and has a good variety.

for resorts, I love the mara at AKL if only for the chicken pitta - you can also get a really nice half chicken dinner, an african stew and the basics (burgers, nuggets etc)

Yak & Yeti at AK was nice this year for something that doesn't come with fries!

I stayed at CBR once and their food court seemed pretty good. lots of different counters for different foods.
:goodvibes

If I am correct in this assumption - it sounds like you are on the QSDP - Food & Wine is on in Epcot during your stay, so a great way to use some of your snack credits on savoury goodies - I think it was Disneymad who has posted some pictures of the menus on their live trip updates.

We will be at OKW from the 22nd - can't wait - despite impressions of counter services being Burger & Chips - there is masses of variety out there - I found this out through the advice on here last year.

I am not sure if they still do Picnic in th Park at Animal kingdom - that can be a different kind out counter service too.

We're at OKW from the 15th

DTD - WPE is great. Go to the one at the marketplace - they have a kids menu or will make a portion of anything on the menu. We also like e of sandwich and are planning on trying cookes of dublin fish and chips this time at DTD.

If there is no kids menu, they can order anything eg at caseys hot dogs at MK or main st bakery at MK. There is a sticky about kids meals in the dining plan section on the restaurant board on here.

A good deal if you go to POFQ (or most resorts with a food court) is a large 16 inch pizza with toppings and 2 desserts for 2 cs credits.

Don't think you have to use all your credits at once eg at lunchtime if you factor in desserts there is loads and you can share meals then use extra credits for breakfast etc.

If you go into the restaurant reviews bit on the main board there are a couple of recent good QSDP reviews which show the cs options.

Thank you for such prompt responses!

We shall be staying at OKW from 16th October. I have already printed out the disney counter service leaflet so know roughly were most of the places are - but recommendations are key for me and it would be nice to head somewhere the food is good and plentiful.

The children want to experience different menus too so we are keen for them (and us) to try whats on offer! BTW I have read in one of the guide books that the children's options are rather limited, how true is this?

I am not sure of the ages of your children but the meals for the under 9's are not good. Lack of choices is the main problem normally nuggets (which are processed ****), Mac'n'cheese, burger, PB&J uncrustable (pre-packaged) and the occasional chicken salad.

We get an adult meal for DD or she shares from us however we do not do the DDP and just pay OOP so are not restricted to the kids menus.

I agree on the comments about the kids options -they are poor in a lot of places.

We were classed as 3 adults 1 child last trip DD was 11 and DS was 9. We often would order 3 adult counter service and the children would share theirs - especially at Wolfgang Puck- ordered a massive spaghetti & meatballs and they shared it.

I must confess this year I am glad both are adults - they will get a much better choice - even more so as we have the Table service meal in place of a counter this year.

It is worth noting that when we last went we did find that there was no differentiation between adult and kids credits so we actually ordered very few kids counter service meals unless they had a reasonable choice - I am not sure if this has changed though.

We also had 44 snack credits and 28 CS meals left - QSDP is masses of food! Must also add-watch it on the deserts - we were told we could have chocolate or carrot cake- we said no thanks and the CM was forcing us to take it saying it was included - I got quite cross and said we will take it outside and throw it in the bin that is a waste we just don't fancy desert - we were not even asking for analternative!

The Good:
  • Puck Express and Earl of Sandwich are 2 of the best IMO. We even got Earl for the ride home.
  • The food court at Pop was really good for the most part.
  • I also really liked the Italian sandwich at Pizzafari in AK, but the pizza tasted like nuked frozen pies.

The Bad:
  • Electric Umbrella in Epcot left a lot to be desired, other than the salad I got.
  • And between all of the CS and TS we never did find a Cheeseburger that I thought was decent, so next time I will avoid burgers at all places. They all tasted like a low grade frozen patty you would get from a supermarket freezer section. I guess my expectations were too high...

I really like Columbia Harbour House in MK - its near Haunted Mansion. The seating area upstairs is spacious and I've never seen it too busy.

Also, I'm not sure what it's called, but there's a CS place in the American pavillion at Epcot - again it had plenty of tables and wasn't very busy! They did a nice chicken wrap thing which made a change to my usual diet of chicken strips and fries :goodvibes

We are on the CS, Snack and TS DDP. The children are 5,7 and 9. It sounds as though if you are savvy and eat at the right places you can really make the credits work in your favour. Especially if the children prefer something from the adult selection we can portion share.

I have to admit even though we are on holiday I don't want them eating nuggets etc every day (which is usually an easy Friday dinner at home!)

Thank you all for your input!

The Good:
  • Puck Express and Earl of Sandwich are 2 of the best IMO. We even got Earl for the ride home.
  • The food court at Pop was really good for the most part.
  • I also really liked the Italian sandwich at Pizzafari in AK, but the pizza tasted like nuked frozen pies.

The Bad:
  • Electric Umbrella in Epcot left a lot to be desired, other than the salad I got.
  • And between all of the CS and TS we never did find a Cheeseburger that I thought was decent, so next time I will avoid burgers at all places. They all tasted like a low grade frozen patty you would get from a supermarket freezer section. I guess my expectations were too high...

Electric Umbrella used to be good until the changed they menu. They did a great roast beef and provolone sandwich and had a toppings bar.

I agree with your dtd choices we love EOS especially the Original 1664? sandwich.

Our fave's are:

Magic Kingdom: Columbia Harbour House and Cosmic Rays however going to try Casey's this time as heard great reviews.

Epcot: The English chippy but bf loves the one in Japan.

Animal Kingdom - For me Restaurantosaurus (but Im fussy)

Hollywood Studios: Backlot Express also love the little stalls down near TOT and RNRC they are great and you can all go and pick from different choices and then go get a table.

Not done DTD or Hotels for counter service before but will be doing this year.

DTD- Wolf Gang Puck would get our vote every time

MK - We ate at Cosmic Ray's had a great selection of different things

Epcot - We love oriental food so China is our favourite

Hollywood Studios - We didn't really have a favourite but ate at Backlot tour and there was nothing to complain about there Dave liked it because was only place he found BBQ sauce

Animal Kingdom - Yak and Yeti I love it there my favourite counter service of all the parks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter