• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Recommended place to buy Canon lenses

MichelleXL

lalala Me Shell, My Belle
I'm having an issue with Best Buy either not having the lens I need in stock, or only being available online. I ordered a lens from BB online last week and it still hasn't processed, so I'm becoming a little frustrated.

With that said, had a few questions...

Where do you usually buy lenses at?
Do you opt for an extended warranty?
Which places offer the best extended warranties?
Are there places that offer extended warranties, even if you do not purchase the lens from them?

If BB does not follow through, I may just have to purchase a Canon 60D with kit lens to sooth my frustrations :laughing:

Thanks in advance!

Where do you usually buy lenses at?
B&H
Amazon

Do you opt for an extended warranty?
No.

Which places offer the best extended warranties?
I don't know.

Are there places that offer extended warranties, even if you do not purchase the lens from them?
I don't know.

Extended warranties are a form of insurance. They have very high profit margins for the sellers (which is why they push them so aggressively). I think it is better to self-insure for most people. You'll save a lot of money in the long run. I think the only people that should buy extended warranties are:

1) People with an extraordinarily increased likelihood to file a claim.
2) People with financial reserves so low that repairing or replacing an item would be a hardship.
3) People for whom the peace of mind of the insurance is worth the extra money.

I'm too cheap to spend the extra money on extended warranties.

I order from B&H, Adorama, Newegg, or Amazon. I also buy a lot used from KEH. I don't get extended warranties so I've never really looked into who offers what.

+1 on BH Photo and Adorama.

They have great prices, no tax (since you live in FL) and free shipping.

I have bought several pro lenses of the "other" brand and have not had any problems.

I just use the Nikon 5 year warranty, haven't purchased extended warranty for any equipment.

I love the comments I see about "no tax" in a lot of posts about buying online. What people don't realize is that most states that have a sales tax also have a "use tax." What that means is that if you buy something out-of-state and use it in-state, then use tax is due on it. This applies to online purchases as well as items physically purchased in another state.

In the current economic climate, the state are always looking for new revenue and this is one way they are trying to get it. California, who has had a use tax law since 1935, is beginning to pressure online retailers like Amazon to start collecting sales taxes and pay them to the state.

This will soon be a nationwide trend and one of the advantages of online purchasing will be nullified...

Thanks for all the advice so far, definitely gave me something to think about.

Still no word on when my lens will ship, or if it will. Really wanted to shoot with it this week.

I looked more into Best Buy's accidental plan, and have read numerous complaints about it. Apparently, if the product gets damaged, they will blame it on faulty handling by the user, which is not covered. I also read several circumstances where policies were canceled because the fine print states that any replacements, refunds, etc. will be issued at their discretion.

I've never had any problems with Best Buy before, but this situation is making me rethink my purchasing decisions :sad2:

I've never had any problems with Best Buy before, but this situation is making me rethink my purchasing decisions :sad2:

I've heard the best buy 'bad' stories but I've never bought a lens from them.
Adorama and B&H and Amazon are good, I've even bought used off a Canon forum (POTN). I never buy extended warranties

I've heard the best buy 'bad' stories but I've never bought a lens from them.
Adorama and B&H and Amazon are good, I've even bought used off a Canon forum (POTN). I never buy extended warranties

Well, it seems they are true... and believe me, I won't be purchasing lenses from them again :laughing:

I spoke with their customer service today who basically told me they had no idea when I would get my lens. They outsourced my order to another fulfillment company who is supposed to take care of shipping my lens. And if that company has to get the lens from the manufacturer, I could be waiting a very long time.

They can't guarantee if I will ever actually get my lens, so they haven't charged my card yet. They won't cancel my order because it's in "limbo" and the company may ship the lens eventually. So, even if I go out and purchase the lens at a local camera shop, I could see a charge for the lens from Best Buy two months down the road.

I'm just stuck between a rock and a hard place, and not liking either option :headache:

I just started visiting POTN last month, and love it there. The lens sample forum is wonderful for comparing the capabilities of a lens :goodvibes

Call your credit card issuer and see if they can help stop the transaction. Sometimes they can, sometimes they can't. But you won't know until you call.

Best Buy lost my business a long time ago because of their bad customer service.

I order from B&H, Adorama, Newegg, or Amazon. I also buy a lot used from KEH. I don't get extended warranties so I've never really looked into who offers what.

Newegg has sold gray market lenses in the past... I don't know if they are still doing it, but if you're wanting to make sure you get a warranty, stay away from gray market product.

Best Buy lost my business a long time ago because of their bad customer service.

I will definitely avoid making any purchases with Best Buy online. This situation really opened my eyes.

After I called and posted on their help forum (and I think bugged them to death) BB cancelled my order Tuesday "due to availability issues."

I was able to purchase the same lens for $12 less, including 2 day shipping, at B&H Photo.
They processed the order, sent it over to the warehouse, and it left by UPS last night.
I'll be getting my lens tomorrow, so I am very happy with this outcome :goodvibes

I think I will be doing more business with B&H Photo in the future.
Thank you all for your recommendations!

I know that this has already been sorted out, but for others who may have the same question, I noticed that nobody mentioned Abe's of Maine.

abesofmaine.com has some great deals on lenses and they are a very reputable vendor. They offer warranties for equipment, and have competitive prices. I've been looking at them and Amazon for my research on what camera to purchase.

I know that this has already been sorted out, but for others who may have the same question, I noticed that nobody mentioned Abe's of Maine.

abesofmaine.com has some great deals on lenses and they are a very reputable vendor. They offer warranties for equipment, and have competitive prices. I've been looking at them and Amazon for my research on what camera to purchase.

Thanks, will definitely give them a look as well. It's always good to have options for future purchases :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter