• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

recommendations on insurance companies from insuremytrip

tarheel618

DIS Veteran
What do you look for when buying insurance? The prices range greatly on insure my trip and I am not sure what I should have included in the policy.

Also, when should I buy it? I am doing a June 2012 trip.

Thanks

I would also like to know the answer to the first question, but I wouldn't buy insurance until you get to the 75 day out mark when Disney won't refund 100%. Until that time you want lose any money if you cancel.

We bought ours only a few weeks ahead--it mostly makes a difference if you have pre-existing medical conditions or once you have non-refundable payments in place (for trip cancellation).

We used TripInsuranceStore.com because after you get a quote online, you could actually call them on the phone and get good explanations of what you would and wouldn't get with each plan.

Advertising is not allowed on here. There was one above my post, it was reported, and now it's gone.

The main thing I looked for when shopping for trip insurance was a 'Cancel for Any Reason' benefit which would allow me to cancel last minute if needed. I actually found insuremytrip.com to be confusing on what each policy covered. I ended up booking with squaremouth.com after seeing a recommendation for that site on this board. There website made it alot easier to compare and price policies. I feel like a got a pretty good deal. Most policies require that you book it so many days after you put your deposit down for the cruise. I booked mine about two weeks after I paid my initial deposit. I am also traveling June 2012!

The actual insurance company I booked with is Travel Guard.

The main thing I looked for when shopping for trip insurance was a 'Cancel for Any Reason' benefit which would allow me to cancel last minute if needed. I actually found insuremytrip.com to be confusing on what each policy covered. I ended up booking with squaremouth.com after seeing a recommendation for that site on this board. There website made it alot easier to compare and price policies. I feel like a got a pretty good deal. Most policies require that you book it so many days after you put your deposit down for the cruise. I booked mine about two weeks after I paid my initial deposit. I am also traveling June 2012!

I, too, looked for "cancel for any reason". Used insuremytrip.com and purchased policy from M.H. Ross for 4 night Bahamian in September 2010. No issues...cost seemed reasonable...I'd use them again.

I've used www.squaremouth.com because if they receive complaints about a company, they will no longer use them. I have used Travelguard through their site and was very pleased.

I am in interested in the cancel for any reason options that are available but can't seem to find any that will refund 100% of the cost of the trip. The policies that I've seen will only pay 75% of the trip costs. Have you, by chance, seen any that pay more than 75%? I just worry about getitng past the final payment date and having to cancel within those 75 days.

Thanks!

I am in interested in the cancel for any reason options that are available but can't seem to find any that will refund 100% of the cost of the trip. The policies that I've seen will only pay 75% of the trip costs. Have you, by chance, seen any that pay more than 75%? I just worry about getitng past the final payment date and having to cancel within those 75 days.

Thanks!

The policy that we got from M.H. Ross through insuremytrip.com paid 80-100% of non-refundable monies paid. It was a cancel for any reason policy. I purchased it the same day I paid my cruise deposit.

The policy that we got from M.H. Ross through insuremytrip.com paid 80-100% of non-refundable monies paid. It was a cancel for any reason policy.

Thank you! I just looked on the square mouth site mentioned about and did see that M.H. Ross offers the higher protection.

Thanks again!

I would also like to know the answer to the first question, but I wouldn't buy insurance until you get to the 75 day out mark when Disney won't refund 100%. Until that time you want lose any money if you cancel.

This depends on WHY you are buying insurance and the terms of the policy you buy. I've had TAs recommend Travel Guard Protect Assist and Worldwide Trip Protector by Travel Insured international. There are difference between these policies, but both provide one free child policy with each adult policy purchased. In addition, they cover pre-existing conditions if purchased within 14 days of booking the trip, and allow you to move the travel date at least once and maintain the insurance coverage.

So the above "you lose any money if you cancel" is true, but you won't necessarily lose the money if you change the dates.

With some policies, "pre existing" coverage applies not only to those people cruising, but also to those staying at home. For instance, if your policy allows you to be reimbursed for cancellation for illness in a close relative, the concept of "pre-existing" also applies to that relative.

To above poster concerned about covering 100% of the cost of the trip....you will not lose 100% of the cost of the trip after your 75 day mark. In fact, I think that figure applies to the last 7 days only (sorry would need to verify this). At 74 days, you would lose your deposit amount only, so that is MUCH less than 100%!

Places to purchase insurance--Insuremytrip.com, squaremouth.com, or your travel agent.

So I didn't buy my trip insurance in time to get the coverage for the "cancel for any reason" or the "pre-existing condition". Is it still worth purchasing it at this point? And what type of coverage should I be looking for?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter