Recommendations needed: High quality, durable book bag brand (Other than L.L.Bean and Land's End)

laurajetter

Mouseketeer<br><Font color="red">The Tag Fairy thi
My son is entering college this year and we need to replace his book bag. Most of my life I've been a fan of L.L.Bean book bags and their lifetime guarantee. Well, it seems back in 2018 they changed their policy to only guarantee it for one year, and I happened to purchase his backpack just two months AFTER the policy change. He'd only used it two months before half the stitching came out of the top of one of the straps. I was very disappointed that it started degrading that fast, but I procrastinated on replacing it since it was still usable (thinking it still had the lifetime guarantee and I could replace it anytime). Well, here I am well past the first year and just found out I can't return it. I wasn't quite happy how fast it was breaking down anyway (the second strap started ripping and a zipper broke), so now I'm ready to try another brand that is known to be of a high quality, I just don't know any. I thought about Land's End, but there were only a few men's backpacks to choose from (unless I was searching incorrectly), and for one of them that had 4 reviews, 2 of them were saying how the thread started unraveling and rips started occurring, both in a little over 3 months, pictures were included.

I'm willing to spend a little more to get a rugged, durable book bag, but I need recommendations on where to look. I feel like I can't trust Amazon since there are so many knock-offs, and now the only two brands I thought were pretty solid choices don't seem to be as high quality as they used to be.

I'm looking for a relatively spacious adult-size bag, that has a spot for a laptop and multiple books and binders (will be getting one for my 8th grade son as well, and I know he will have a ton of binders and such). Thanks for any help you can give!

Kipling. I have one from 15 years ago that would look new if we hadn't stained it xD

3 Ppl have used it on and off for years.

We've had luck with Pottery Barn Teen, but the prints are geared more for tweens. I would suggest getting a laptop bookbag from a computer store/office supply store. DH has been using the same one for over a decade. I can check the brand when he gets home from work. (He does also have the linus tech tips backpack on his wishlist, but it's $250.)

edited to add laptop bag is a Targus.

Last edited:

I went through a bunch of cheap backpacks when I first started college. Bought a Jansport and never looked back.

https://herschel.com/

I've had the Hershel Little America bag for almost a decade and it looks brand new. I had it during my college years and was able to fit a laptop along with notebooks and textbooks (unsure about binders). It's also a great travel bag as it has endured tons of flights and international trips.

Both my daughter have Hershel backpacks and they are great. . Being a local company, they are very popular here. We have an outlet too so I got them both there.

Both my daughter have Hershel backpacks and they are great. . Being a local company, they are very popular here. We have an outlet too so I got them both there.
Yeah, Herschel seems to be widely sold now. Saw a bunch of them in Nordstrom Rack. There was also "one" in TJ Maxx. It had a better price than the Nordstrom Rack ones but there was only one in stock.

Yeah, Herschel seems to be widely sold now. Saw a bunch of them in Nordstrom Rack. There was also "one" in TJ Maxx. It had a better price than the Nordstrom Rack ones but there was only one in stock.
I see them at Nordstrom too and I bought mine from Lord and Taylor. They're also on Amazon but I would just get one from their site just to be safe. Amazon isn't super reliable these days.

I use a Swiss Gear backpack as a commuting bag. Been using it 5 years, and, aside from the strap our puppy got hold of in 2020, it still looks brand new.

Our youngest son bought a Swiss Gear when he started college 7 years ago. He used that backpack all through school and now uses it for work and traveling. It still looks new. Our youngest DD is heading to college next week and she just got an STM Myth backpack. It looks like it's great quality, has lots of nice features, and is very comfortable to wear. She said she wished she had gotten one in high school because it's way more comfortable than her LL Bean backpack that she used (which she *thought* was comfortable through those years -- until she loaded up this bag and put it on.).

We bought our daughter an Oakley backpack. It’s great and does come with a warranty.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter