Recommendations for adult only European trip.

ToyStory3

DIS Veteran
Hi - this would be our first ABD trip. My DH and I are celebrating our 15 year anniversary next year.
We're interested in an adult-only (since we're not taking our kids) European trip. We've never been to Europe. Well....I went to Portugal for work once. But, it was only for a few days and I saw nothing....so it doesn't really count.

We really don't have anything specific in mind but would love to hear recommendations from others. They all sound wonderful - Paris, London, Italy, Ireland...can't decide. Ireland is definitely one that feels high on the list for me. But, I don't know where to start. Any recommendations welcome!

Thanks!

My mom and I have never been to Europe either. What we did was we each took a look at what trips were offered and narrowed it down to our top 2 each then compared. She wanted Scotland, I wanted France as number 1 and we both chose Central Europe (Prague, Bavarian Alps and Vienna) as our second choice so that's the one we opted for. We are booked on the last Adult Only trip next September.

Ireland certainly was wonderful, but really any of them would be great. Is there any bucket list items you've always wanted to see? Eiffel Tower, Colosseum, Parthenon? We've done the Ireland ABD and France ABD's and they're both great. Just for discussion though, I'll recommend my favorite country - Italy. And just for something else to think about - Greece! I haven't been on the ABD, but Greece is beautiful. We loved Ireland - I'm sure you've seen my trip report here and would highly recommend it. But, for a first ever trip to Europe without kids - you're looking for a beautiful, romantic, very European experience. I might look towards Italy or Greece. You can't beat walking around the piazzas in the evening and drinking Italian wine, or seeing an Aegean sunset and then going out for fish and white wine. :D If you do have any questions about Ireland, let me know. It too was amazing.

I would second Cousin Orville's recommendation of Greece. It's a really amazing country, and a really fabulous ABD. Greece is fascinating, and you see a wonderful range of things and places. Santorini is gorgeous, and the Resort on Crete is the nicest hotel I've ever stayed at! Just wonderful. You can't go wrong with any of the trips mentioned, but Greece just really stands out as my favorite. And the food on that ABD is delicious!

Sayhello

We did Viva Italia with some pre-days to visit the Almalfi Coast/Pompeii.
It was a great itinerary with our teens, but would be even better as a couple.

We're planning to do the Sept, 2016 Adults-Only Germany trip with some pre- & post- days next fall.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone! I've seen several posts about Greece being an outstanding ABD. What, in particular, stands out about it? Is it the itinerary? The scenery? Just curious.

I would say that the scenery of Greece and Italy appeal to me a lot. Ireland is definitely on my bucket list. And, the idea of staying on a large, old, estate or castle very much appeals to me. So....still trying to narrow them down. Thanks again for the great feedback!

Last edited:
We've been on London/Paris, Germany, and Central Europe ABD. We had our daughter with us, who was 19, 20, and 22 at the time. We loved each trip, but I would say London/Paris was the least "romantic" of the tours. Germany & Central Europe was more romantic in my mind. I'm looking forward to Italy for hopefully adult inclusive next summer, but I also think Greece looks beautiful!

Last edited:
I find Greece a wonderful welcoming country where the people offer great wine, food and warm spirits. So much natural beauty on the islands and sunsets are found there it is a little overwhelming. But then again there is something to be said about "la dolce vita" on the Amalfi coast. Both are remarkable.

I'm voting for Italy. We did the Adults Only Italian (Rome/Florence/Venice) trip a couple of years ago, and while they don't offer the exact same trip that we took any longer, it was a once in a lifetime experience to be in Italy. And the food - my life has been forever changed for the better since that trip.

I just sat and really priced the potential trips out. I'm in total sticker shock!!! Gulp.....

I knew it would be a lot. But not like - price of a small car. Lol. Without giving away any spoilers - I've heard a lot of people refer to extra magical surprised and unexpected pixie dust. What types of things do they do? You don't have to give specific examples. Don't want to ruin it for anybody else. Just trying to get a feel for what to expect.

I knew it would be a lot. But not like - price of a small car. Lol. Without giving away any spoilers - I've heard a lot of people refer to extra magical surprised and unexpected pixie dust. What types of things do they do? You don't have to give specific examples. Don't want to ruin it for anybody else. Just trying to get a feel for what to expect.

I just did the Backstage Magic tour and because of the trip dates, which coincided with a holiday in California (President's Day), we weren't able to do the Jim Hensen Studios on the Monday, like stated in the itinerary. We had to do it Tuesday along with the other studio tours. Well, to fill up an afternoon that we now had suddenly free, they took us to Walt's Train Barn located in Griffith Park. Follow that with an ice cream social at Ghiradelli's and a free movie (Disney of course) at the El Capitan. And let's not forget the Disneyland Dream Suite!

It is a bit of sticker shock when you look at the prices but you also have to take into consideration the special perks (like mentioned above) but also, look at the hotels you're staying in. For Backstage Magic we stayed at the Grand Californian and for Central Europe, we'll be staying at the Ritz Carlton in Vienna.

If you are concerned about sticker shock, then get some books and plan a do-it-yourself trip to Europe. This is much easier with an adult-only trip.

Your choice is either to do the trip planning yourself and save money, or pay a tour company to do the trip planning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter