Recommendations for a HHI stay?

dizplanner

DIS Veteran
I'm thinking about trying to plan a vacation to Hilton Head in 2015. I want to try the various resort available through DVC.
Our home resort is VWL so we would need to book at 7 months. It will be just my husband and I, so we would want a studio. We would be able to travel year round, but I would prefer a time that is warm, but don't really want the hot, humid weather. I know very little about HHI and the surrounding area.
What time of year would you recommend? How long of a stay? In addition to enjoying the resort and the beach, what activities and day trips would you recommend?
Would it be practical to include Vero Bench in the same vacation or should I save it for a different trip?

I just want to take full advantage of my DVC membership before I decide to move on and sell it. I've stayed at VWL twice, BCV, OKW, and SSR at WDW, at VGC in Disneyland and at Aulani.
We have a trip planned for this December at WDW and hope to stay at AKV. We haven't stayed at BLT or VGF since we haven't been back to WDW since they were open, but I don't have a strong desire to try them. We haven't stayed at BWV, but we did stay at the Boardwalk Hotel before we became members.
So I would like to try HHI and VB before we sell.

We have only tried HHI once and it was in August. It was VERY hot and those summer hot temps warm up the water a lot. The warmer the water the worse the jellyfish problem (this would be up & down the east coast - it's the same up here in Ocean City, Maryland). We had a couple of days of thunderstorms in the beginning of the trip which sort of got rid of them so the first day after the storms passed the water was great. But after that it got hot again (mid-90's) so they came back. Nobody could get in without getting stung. My DH got one wrapped around his leg and he still has a mark from the sting. If you are not tied to kids in school (meaning you need to go in the summer or over school breaks) I would suggest going in late May or in mid-late Sept. when it's not so hot. The ocean water may still be cool in May but the air temps would be more moderate. The ocean would still be warm in Sept. Crowds would be less during either of those months too because of the school calendar. HHI may also be a little easier to get in at the 7 mo. mark during May & Sept. too.

We combined Vero with a trip to WDW as it's only a couple hours or so away. We spent a week at BCV then added 3 nights at Vero to relax & unwind. While Vero is a beautiful resort there is not a whole lot to do in the area. The town pretty much rolls up the carpet at 9:00 and we found even most restaurants closing by then. 3 nights was plenty for us. We would've been bored if we'd have planned a whole week. There is a little bit more to do at HHI (more restaurants etc) and the town stays up later. You can spend a week at HHI if you like the beach and not be bored. The beach at HHI is very wide and very hard & flat - there are not really any waves. A big thing there is to rent bikes to ride up & down the beach. Vero has waves so you can use boogie boards & stuff. Actually, whenever we were there the surf was pretty rough. Two totally different types of beaches.

I'm thinking about trying to plan a vacation to Hilton Head in 2015. I want to try the various resort available through DVC.
Our home resort is VWL so we would need to book at 7 months. It will be just my husband and I, so we would want a studio.

Are you sure you want a studio? When we go to HHI, it's just DH and I. Although we usually get a 1 BR, one time for some unknown reason, I decided to get a studio. Well, spoiled me spent the whole week griping about how much I was missing. The main thing I prefer in a 1 BR is-

although, come to think of it, with the room rehab at HHI, that front area better still be there. And make sure you don't miss meeting Shadow, their resident dog. She's such a sweetie-

We love HHI and are going for this year's spring break in April. We also have been in June, July, and August. For us August was just too hot. June was probably perfect as the ocean water temp is already 80 degrees, but it is not that real humid yet outside.

If it is just you and your DH, I would consider May or September which are probably easier to get at 7 months plus the island would not be as crowded.

HHI has lots of activities available at the resort and on the island.

Mid June to mid August is hard to book at 7 months out, especially a studio as there are so few. May thru Sept gives you the best chance for nice weather. We like it hot and go in July a lot.

Just remember that HHI is a lowcountry island (think spanish moss in the trees and freshly caught seafood at roadside markets). There are some things to consider. Bring insect repellent for dusk outdoors. Be prepared for lots of beautiful nature views and wildlife. Plan to go kayaking on the wetlands. There are many other things to do but I have even stayed at the resort by the pool and pier for a whole day. You won't regret a stay there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter