recommendation for mattress please

I, too, would like information on new mattresses. Has anyone bought a foam mattress, specifically a Tempurpedic one?

I agonized over the mattress decision. Seriously, no one can drag out a decision like I can. Finally I did decide and bought the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme breeze. I have had it 2 months and LOVE it.

I expected that there would be an adjustment period and that was not the case. From the first night, it just felt right. I read reviews from people warning that the brand made sleepers hot at night. For that reason I bought the Breeze model. I have had NO problems with it being too warm

The other warnings spoke about trouble turning over. Not an issue. With an initial off gassing odor. Not an issue. Being difficult to adjust to after a traditional mattress. Not an issue.

But the question is...did you lose weight while sleeping on it? :rotfl2: Sorry, couldn't resist.

:scratchin Oddly enough, I did! :lmao:

I doubt highly it had anything to do with the mattress, but what the heck!! :rotfl2:

I did lose about 30 pounds since we purchased it, but I would like to think it had more to do with my change of diet and exercise. :dancer: If not, I just wasted a bunch of time and calories!!! :mickeybar

I have a sleep number bed and love it. I keep it firm, but put padding on it so it's comfortable yet provides the support my back needs and it'll never break down.

I've no experience with either but I did search for old DIS threads when we were shopping and people recommended The Original Mattress Factory and Ikea.

....so many mattresses are like buying from a used car dealer----& they confuse you because you can't compare apples to apples between stores...but Mattress factory is honest, fair price, no price haggling like everywhere else & great quality

Bed inbox.com

We got our memory foam mattress there it is just like the temperpedic but was only 750 for a queen. We went with the basic model with the cool gel foam upgrade. We love it and it helped with some back problems. You can use your old box spring or in our case it is on a queen size captains bed that is topped with plywood.

Last year we bought a Sealy after initially buying a Stearns and Foster. The Sealy was a third of the cost. Within 6 months we had each sunk into dips on each side of the bed. The company replaced the mattress and we bought the Stearns and Foster this time around. It has been 6 months and we are still very happy with it.

The specific layers of foam, coil counts, edge support, etc. are available at the store level. Sales associates should have easy access to a "spec guide" with all this information.

So why keep this a secret that you have to ask for? The layering, type and density of the various foam tells you the quality of the overall product. Having this information available to the consumer would allow them to compare between mattresses.

As others have pointed out many mattress stores are very much like buying a used car. The store we ended up purchasing from has their own factories and sells directly to the public through their own stores. They had this information printed next to each of their mattresses.

and this is the bed I'm leaning towards:
bedinabox.com

pacbed original
upgraded to 11" mattress
and upgraded to gel foam layer
for Qeen total is $850

We got a queen size Simmons Comforpedic about 4 years ago and nothing made my shoulders feel better. It's holding up great. I would recommend looking into the return policy b/c we freaked out a little at first after we got it, but the local store gave us grief about returning it. Probably worked out in the end, but the online shops give no hassle return guarantees - but you will have to pay return shipping. FoamCountry has a list of Simmons. They're much less expensive than Tempurpedic, and on par with bedinabox and Amerisleep.

On the topic of rolling into the middle - I've come to the firm belief that it's more of an issue for queen mattresses. We've gone through at least 10 or more traditional coil mattresses for that issue, but when we finally got a king - no problem. We're not especially large humans either.

Remember when you are purchasing a mattress you are not just buying a bed, you are buying sleep. How much is sleep worth to you? I tried pillow tops and others to no avail. This last time I went with the Serta iComfort Savant. It's a cooling gel mattress. It is the first mattress that has ever resulted in sleep for me. It's about a $2,000 mattress set.

Serta iComfort Savant

We just went through this at the end of the summer. Basically, we started with Sleep Number on the advice of my chiropractor, then traditional coil mattresses, then the hybrids of springs and memory foam, and after ALL that went with a Tempur Pedic, which hadn't been in the running at all when we started looking! I have never been as thrilled with a mattress as I am with the Tempur Pedic.

I say this not to sell you on this brand or style, because it's such a personal thing, but to illustrate that no amount of recommendations can take the place of trying them all out multiple times. Almost everything we tried would have been an improvement over our old mattress, but it wasn't until we tried the Tempur Pedic that we both had the "aaaaaaaahhh!" reaction.

I truly wanted to love the Sleep Number since my trusted chiropractor swears by his. Now he is really curious about Tempur Pedic after seeing what a difference it's made in my sleep quality and reduction in chronic back pain.

Good luck!

We just purchased a Night Comfort Memory Foam mattress from Sams online. I have never slept better!!! Can't beat the price, we paid a little over $800 for a king size and the bed frame. There is no need for a box springs with this mattress. We were very hesitant because we had been looking at a lot more expensive ones for a few months, but the reviews were incredible. I am so pleased with this bed, much more then our previous pillow top name brand one. Also I have had back surgery several years ago and my back was constantly hurting in the mornings before we purchased this bed.

We love our sleep number m7 (memory foam with firmness adjustable).

Hubby is a big guy at 6' 280lbs I'm 5' 2" 130. What is comfortable for me is a hammock for him. And what is firm enough for him becomes a floor to me...

Sleep number we each get our perfect firmness.

That cooling gel does it for me. I also use Comfort Revolution pillows. Something about the pillow not getting hot during the night.

I like super soft, my DH needs super firm. We have never agreed upon a mattress and have has many over our 20 years together. The most exciting was the mattress with such a deep hole my DH and I were literally hanging onto the edge to not end up in a pile in the middle with the cat :rotfl2: The best was the sleep number. The only issue was that the inside got moldy :scared1:. Come to find out that was not uncommon. ALso the wireless air system was tempermental. Not sure if that issue is fixed. There was the king coil my DH loved but I was more comfortable on the wood floor. We bought a temperpedic and I LOVE it. DH hates it because it is too soft. Most cosy mattress ever. DH has been begging to go back to a sleep number. I want to find a way to cut the temperpedic in half and let me keep my side of it. My friend has a bobopedic and loves it. I know four other couples with a temperpedic who also love theirs. We tried a stearns and foster once but both of us were waking up in pain. Later talking to my inlaws they had the same experience with the same brand.

My dad needed an adjustable bed so my parents bought 2 separate beds with a single headboard. They were able to use a king sheet set and spread over it so it just worked like a king bed. Those of you who can't agree on a mattress could try that route.

I am glad people have been able to return a mattress that didn't work out, but concerned about what they do with the returned ones. Do they resell them??

We have not purchased a new mattress in over 10 years, but it is time. We are looking for a good, king size mattress. By good, I mean a reasonably priced mattresss that does not propel its occupants to the middle if 2 people lay on it. We also prefer softer vs firmer mattresses. Any brand suggestions? Thanks for your input.

We upgraded 4 months ago to king size. Loved our queen but of course they discontinued that model, that would have been too easy!
The whole process was stressful, they make it hard to compare between brands.
We ended up going with a Stearns and Foster extra plush pillow top with the higher coil count. (Had major shoulder surgery and had a hard time laying on the firmer beds even just in the store).
It is very comfy but after 4 months, we each have our own trough, rather than rolling into the middle!
We paid about $2,000 so kind of bummed but if the troughs get bad enough, we'll call the store and see if we can change models.

I like super soft, my DH needs super firm. We have never agreed upon a mattress and have has many over our 20 years together. The most exciting was the mattress with such a deep hole my DH and I were literally hanging onto the edge to not end up in a pile in the middle with the cat :rotfl2: The best was the sleep number. The only issue was that the inside got moldy :scared1:. Come to find out that was not uncommon. ALso the wireless air system was tempermental. Not sure if that issue is fixed. There was the king coil my DH loved but I was more comfortable on the wood floor. We bought a temperpedic and I LOVE it. DH hates it because it is too soft. Most cosy mattress ever. DH has been begging to go back to a sleep number. I want to find a way to cut the temperpedic in half and let me keep my side of it. My friend has a bobopedic and loves it. I know four other couples with a temperpedic who also love theirs. We tried a stearns and foster once but both of us were waking up in pain. Later talking to my inlaws they had the same experience with the same brand.

I just saw a commercial for the new tempurpedic with adjustable sides ... I'm wondering if it's a crossover? It looks cool!

My husband and I love our BedInABox bed. Can't say enough about how much we love it--it's the first bed we've ever agreed on. I like beds cushy and he likes firm.

and my back is begging for a new bed...our latex bed is about 8 years old and been uncomfortable for about 2-3 years and now it's awful...

which bedinabox did you get tesslemez?

Hubby wants to get softsided waterbed....

it's difficult to decide.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter