• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

recommend your battery operated cell phone charger

Not sure exactly what you're looking for. This is a portable charger - you charge it in the electrical outlet, then take it with you. I believe it can fully charge an iPhone 3 times before you would have to charge it in the electrical outlet again. A friend has used it successfully with the iPhone 5. It should work with older iPhones as well.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Mophie+...&skuId=5011829&st=mophie juice pack&cp=2&lp=1

If you don't mind mail order, I have had good luck with the ZAGGsparq. I have an older model that has capacity for recharging my phone 4 times (a bit less now that I have a phone with a bigger batter) or 6000 Mah. The newer models have support for up to 2.1A output (enough for a tablet). The highest capacity model has 2 USB outputs. http://www.zagg.com/accessories/zaggsparq.php

I can't say anything about a portable charger, though I did look into them last year. My hubby and I found it was much cheaper for us to purchase extra batteries on Ebay, charge them in the evenings since they don't take that long, and bring them into the parks with us. It was very handy dandy. We are doing it again in April!

There was a time when I could have switched batteries. Unfortunately even on my new Android phone switching batteries is not an option. Certainly not on any iOS device. When I had a feature phone this was not an issue.

Would these devices work on an Android phone? I have the Droid 4 and it the battery life was a NIGHTMARE on my most recent trip, and I was barely even using it. I'd take it off the charger around 7:30am to leave the room, and only use it to check the time for ADR's/FP's and to look at my ride-times app, yet it'd be dying by late afternoon argh. The battery on the Droid is non-removable so an external charger would be great

I have a Droid 4. The big battery drain is going inside and/or keeping the WiFi turned on. That said, any of the USB based battery packs (like the Zagg.com models) work with any phone that uses a USB cable for charging, like the Droid 4.

Thanks so much! I didn't even know things like this existed, where have I been? This is now a complete must-have for my next trip in May

I found a solar charger at target last week maybe $10 I really don't remember. It was in the kitchen gadget section on an end cap with other as seen on tv stuff. I haven't used it yet, I did come with multiple charger input things so it works on many devices not at once but apple stuff, droid, ereaders.

I assume you guys know to check the settings on your phone and turn off stuff that you don't need. The phone wants to notify you about all kinds of things, and tell businesses where you are all the time. I went into settings on my iPhone and turned off all kinds of stuff.

Blue tooth - off
Notification center - emptied
Location services - off
Siri - off (sacrilege, I know, but I never used her, and I kept getting her by mistake)

I can't remember how to do this on the Droid, but I'm sure there are similar options.

Also with the iphone, change the e-mail setting to manual for getting e-mails.

For iphone 4:
I bought the morphie battery pack that also provides protection against the phone if it drops -- it is a bit heavier but it serves two purposes -- I bought at the AT&T store. It's a good bit heavier than my otter box and the base area where you plug the iphone directly to the computer is blocked.

Mine is a qmadix boost pac case. I do like that it serves as a case which is less bulky than a regular external battery- easier to use while charging but as a case it is bulkier than a regular case, and heavier. But is it bulkier than an otter box? I don't think so? I'm also sure that if my booster wasn't actually acting as part of my phone that I'd quickly lose it. The only place I use more battery power than Disney is NYC with my daughter- all my maps, restaurant locators/ reviews, parking finder, favorite fabric shops, Central Park trivia, etc are on there. I want to take (and post) photos! And, at the end of the day, it better be working so I can text the garage and let them know I'm coming. One day, DD put a water balloon in the stroller pocket with the phone and killed it (booster was actually OK... I'm 90% sure it was on). I learned how much I use it in the city!

I would highly recommend getting one of the multiple plug chargers, that way you can charge everyone's phone in your party at the same time. For your money, I would say spend $40 for a 12,000mah charger, which should power anything and everything while in the parks (or on a plane, during a regular day, etc.).

If you've got a less powerful phone, or don't see yourself using this all that much, I'd just get a little one that has 2600mah, for $5. I have both, and use both very frequently. Everbuying is coming from overseas, so it takes a while to arrive, but I've had good experiences with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter