Recommend sting rays at CC?

AUBURNGIRL5

Earning My Ears
We leave for our first cruise in a few weeks and was trying to get our activities planned while we are at Castaway. I have read mixed things about the Sting Ray excursion there. HAs anyone done it? WOuld you recommend it or not? Just wondering if it was worth the $. We are renting bikes and just want to enjoy the island that day...... the beach, swimming, etc. BUT don't want to miss it if it is great. Thanks so much!

We went on our first cruise this past January and did the sting rays at CC.

The weather was very spotty the day we were there and the water was freezing! I enjoyed feeding the stingrays, but had to get out after that because I was so cold.

But...my 10 year old boy had the chance to swim with dolphins (very expensive), snorkel in the ocean (slightly expensive), and snorkel with and feed stingrays at CC (least expensive of the three), I tell you all this because his favorite part of the trip was the stingrays! I have no idea why, but it was his favorite the day we got off the ship and has stayed that way since!

Hope that helps

My daughters, ages 11 and 9 at the time, did this and really enjoyed it. The 11 year old was a little frightened (she gets frightened EASILY), so she did only fed the stingray once. She very much wants to do it again now that she is 14.

We thought it was worth it considering the cost fo the Stingray excursion in Grand Cayman which it is known for it. The rays are much smaller than in GC and they only interact on platforms that they have been trained to approach for feedings. My 6 year old loved it!

I did this the same week that Mr. Irwin (Croc Hunter) died. That being said,I had a great time! You sit through about a 10 minute presentation about conservation and the different types of rays that you'll see,then they take you out in small groups to these "platforms" in the water(look like plastic trellis/fencing) and the rays are trained to swim up onto a board in the shape of Mickey's head.You're about waist deep and this is where you get to feed them. They'll have you put the fish between your fingers,palm down and the rays sit over your hand and literally suck up the fish like a vacuum!

After that you can go out and swim with them for awhile. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and would not hesitate to do it again.

We did the stingrays, snorkel/bike/float package. I really enjoyed it. If we hadn't done the package, I wouldn't have done the bikes or floats, and those were great.

I think it is worth it.

Nancy

It's worth it, we did it last April and had a blast. I was very nervous because I don't like to touch anything fish related and was a bit freaked out with the rays swimming so close to me. DH calmed me down and once I relaxed it was pretty cool to feed the rays and have them brush up against our legs. We didn't swim but I stood in the water with my camera was able to get some pictures. Snorkel equipment is provided if you want to swim out in the lagoon with the rays.

We also did the bike/float package. We had agreat time and I would say it was worth it. My kids still talk about feeding and swimming with stingrays! We never actually used the bikes though. Just not enough time to do everything we wanted. All in all, I would say it's definitely worth trying!

We did the stingrays at cc in August - my 7 yr old was a little hesitant but once he mustered the courage to feed the stingray he loved it. I thought the best part was snorkeling with the stingrays after the feeding. We had a great time and plan to do it agin on our next cruise. Just as a word of warning - if you have anyone in your group has a shellfish allergy let the cm know - they can provide food that is shellfish free.

We did it when our DDs were 7 and 9 and they enjoyed it. We learned a bit about them which was good too. We did in March and the water was a bit cold. Didn't linger too long after the feeding due to that. I would think that if it's not going well you can just pack up and go onto your next activity or whatever.

I agree with the folks saying this is a worthwhile excursion. My DD6 was scared to death of the stingrays at first but once she fed one, she couldn't get enough of it. I was feeling a little guilty because she kept asking the handler if she could feed another ray, and the CM allowed her to keep feeding until there was no food left! There were a few older kids in our group but none of them wanted to participate in the feeding, so I guess it was ok in the end. :)

My DD7 and I did this last April and loved it! Great interaction, safe as their stingers are clipped. A very cool experience IMO

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

We did it last summer with DS (9) and DD (5) and we all had a great time. We really enjoyed feeding the rays and getting to see them up close. DS had been snorkeling the year before so I had no worries about him. DD had never been before, but she did awesome and loved it! We'll be doing it again in October so I can take my dad.

we have done it on both cruises we have gone on and when discussing what to do at CC on our next one the only thing my 17 year old daughter wants to do is the stingrays again. she really likes being able to feed them and then swim with them its the only time on the last cruise she used her snorkel equipment.

DH & I both LOVED the Stingray Adventure at Castaway Cay! DH was too afraid to feed the rays, but I loved it!! And we both enjoyed snorkeling with the rays after the feeding! We had a great time and would highly recommend it!

A portion of the cost of the excursion goes to the Disney Worldwide Conservation Fund, so you get a special button for doing the Stingray Adventure:

542796c88c4111e2828a22000a9f191e_7.jpg

DW and I did this in December. If you get the chance I would HIGHLY recommend that you do this. We REALLY enjoyed the entire interaction from the feeding to free swim with them. We still watch the videos!

I recommend it once. It was unique and special and a tad exhilarating swimming with them after but worth it. Once.

Absolutely would do it again. They had this cool ramp/feeding station that they came up on to be fed. The snorkeling was cool too! We learned to do the stingray shuffle.

Maybe I am the only one but the water was freezing and I did not enjoy it. My kid was equally freezing and we lasted 5 minutes in the water. If you are going at a time when the water and weather are traditionally warm, then I think I would recommend it. To me, to just sit on the beach or ride bikes on Castaway Cay is all that I would recommend. In contrast, we have been on Dolphin excursions on previous cruises and loved them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter