• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Recommend a resort for us...

hiwaygal

Only someone as wonderful as Donna can get my PM's
DH and I are considering a trip this year. We have been very fortunate to stay at BWI and the Poly (club level for both) so we've kinda been spoiled.

We know we don't want to stay at a value only because it might be too much of a shock for us right now, lol! But a deluxe is probably not going to happen unless we win the lottery or something.

We have considered Swan or Dolphin but there is limited availability for our preferred dates (which could be flexible). We also looked at both POR resorts.

We don't really have much of a preference regarding "style" since we know that Disney does that so well...it's more about comfort and convenience.

There are a lot of things that might change about this trip...we may be able to bring my niece (14) and nephew (4). If we do, my dates become less flexible. If we don't, DH and I would prefer a king bed.

View isn't too important, but I would prefer not looking out onto a parking lot. A patio (i.e. first floor) is nice....but not a high priority.

Your suggestions?

What's your opinion on Port Orleans? We've stayed at the Regal Sun on Hotel Plaza Blvd near Downtown Disney and it was actually quite nice. If you get a room high enough on the right side, you get a terrific view of Downtown Disney.

POR seems like a nice resort. There were a couple of rooms/buildings that seem a little far from some of the conveniences. Now, of course, that may not be an issue at all depending on where our room would be.

I am curious how the busses run through there (where is the "first stop" and where is the "last stop").

It's definitely under consideration. Just want lots of opinions.

In our previous trips we have used EMH and DME so those things are of value to us. I think that is what keeps us onsite...even knowing we could probably visit cheaper if we went offsite.

I like CSR. It has a Club level that can be booked in 2013. It has one of the best pools on property, and is centrally located to everything. I did not like POR. I checked out 1 hour after checking in. I'm not a good person to comment on that resort.

I have stayed at a couple different hotels. I have stayed at Carribean Beach and at POP. We stayed at POP when it first opened. There are a few kids, but for the price it is a great deal and the bus service there is excellent. I can't remember too much about Carribean Beach, although the fact is that all of the rooms are very spread out and you have to walk a ways to get to the food court depending on where you are staying.

People have made comments about POR. While I have not stayed there, I have heard from many different sources that bus service can be spotty and longer than other hotels. They share buses with other resorts.

Hope that helps some.

We've stayed at all of the mods multiple times, so I'll add a few comments.

There are NO mods that have balconeys or patios. There is a common use sidewalk or verandah walkway in front of all the doors.

POR and POFQ sometimes share buses but not all the time. Depends on resort occupancy and can vary from day to day and even time of day. CBR and CSR have their own buses. All of the resorts with the exception of POFQ have multiple bus stops within the resort. The sequence of bus stops can vary at POR and CBR depending on where the bus is coming from and going to.

If being close to the main dining building is important to you, then all of the mods except POFQ have preferred buildings that can be booked as a specific room category.

If you bring children, then take a look at each resort's pools and play areas. Some are better/more appealing than others. If you are just a pair, King beds are available as a specific booking category at the mods.

HTH

I like CSR. It has a Club level that can be booked in 2013. It has one of the best pools on property, and is centrally located to everything. I did not like POR. I checked out 1 hour after checking in. I'm not a good person to comment on that resort.

LOL...understood. I hadn't really considered CSR. We'll need to take a closer look.

I have stayed at a couple different hotels. I have stayed at Carribean Beach and at POP. We stayed at POP when it first opened. There are a few kids, but for the price it is a great deal and the bus service there is excellent. I can't remember too much about Carribean Beach, although the fact is that all of the rooms are very spread out and you have to walk a ways to get to the food court depending on where you are staying.

People have made comments about POR. While I have not stayed there, I have heard from many different sources that bus service can be spotty and longer than other hotels. They share buses with other resorts.

Hope that helps some.

It does help.

The bus service is important because it will be our only means of transportation, obviously. And I had heard the same thing about CBR, which puts it low on the list of possibilities.

Is POP the one that more or less has it's own bus?

As far as moderates, I would have to echo pps regarding POR, POFQ or CSR. You have the convenience factor of the boat to DTD at the Port Orleans resorts. All 3 of these have queen beds if a king is not available.

Would AKL or WL be in the budget? Those are the cheapest deluxes. If you can get a good discount, those aren't too much more than a non-discounted moderate.

I know a lot of people disagree, but I love CBR. I have stayed there many, many times and it's a favorite. It's really easily to get around the distance from the food court. You can get a standard room across the lake so it's a quick walk to Old Port Royale without having to pay for a preferred room.

I have never stayed at Cornado Springs but have heard great things. Only thing I can see as bothersome is if a convention is held there.

I've found watching video tours of the resorts helps a lot in making decisions. Here is the one for Coronado Springs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ztHnHCpcZg

And the one for Caribbean Beach: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWmdugB8oOE

POR seems like a nice resort. There were a couple of rooms/buildings that seem a little far from some of the conveniences. Now, of course, that may not be an issue at all depending on where our room would be.

I am curious how the busses run through there (where is the "first stop" and where is the "last stop").

It's definitely under consideration. Just want lots of opinions.

In our previous trips we have used EMH and DME so those things are of value to us. I think that is what keeps us onsite...even knowing we could probably visit cheaper if we went offsite.

We love POR and happily go back and forth between our deluxe stays and POR. We prefer the mansion section either Magnolia Terrace or Acadian House near old man island bridge. Very central location.

Bus service is fine. I haven't noticed a difference between busses at the deluxe or moderate resorts. Most of the time they run well, occas. Long wait no matter what resort.
The first and last bus stop depends on what park you are going to. Sometimes the stop behind Magnolia Terrace is the last stop, sometimes not.

LOL...understood. I hadn't really considered CSR. We'll need to take a closer look.

It does help.

The bus service is important because it will be our only means of transportation, obviously. And I had heard the same thing about CBR, which puts it low on the list of possibilities.

Is POP the one that more or less has it's own bus?

POP has dedicated busing. There is also only one stop. These are the main reasons as to why the busing tends to be better there than other resorts who have multiple stops i.e CBR and POR and POP which has only the the one.

Happy hunting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter