Recommend a car to me

momz

DIS Veteran
Car shopping is overwhelming. We are in need of a family car and would like any input you can give.

4 door midsized sedan
Used, low miles
Excellent gas milage
Under 20k
Leather interior
Navigation if possible

We are a family of 4, kids are 9 and 12. We are trading in our '04 minivan and want better as milage.

My husband doesn't want an accord or a Malibu.

I'd say used. Most new are nearly or over 30k Very happy with my fusion I think new is 33k this is without leather but fits everything else.

Accord, Camry, Sonata will all meet your basic needs and are reliable.

The leather and NAV may require some extra research.

Poke around on various used car websites and see what is actually out there.

Good luck with your search!

I have a Ford Escape. The mileage is great and there is plenty of room. We also love our Fusion. But it's smaller.

I love my Subaru Forester.:lovestruc

I dont know where you're from but its GREAT in the snow.
Good luck, its an exhausting task looking for a new car.

Karen :)

I have it narrowed down to 2. I think. And they are not exactly comparable to each other.

The one I want is a new 2014 Mazda 6 i touring. It is manual transmission. Is priced at $24540. I "want" this one.

The other is a certified 2012 ford focus sel. Priced at $18,800. This is the one that has some of the stuff I would like and a more acceptable price point.

So, I'm thinking that if I can get an acceptable amount from my trade in, and the loan amount gets below 20K, I will get the Mazda. If not, I will get the focus.

The 2014 Mazda is a great ride. I test drove one about 2 or 4 months ago.

Regarding size, I don't think that Focus is nearly as big as the Mazda and the competitors I mentioned earlier.

Going from the room of a mini van to a Focus may not work well with a 9 and 12 year old that are not done growing yet!

Hey...............sorry I missed the "no accord part"

You can look up size of cars and fuel economy at www.fueleconomy.gov

I LOVE my Sonata. I had an Elantra before that and loved it too! I did buy them new though so I could get the awesome warranty that Hyundai offers. I just bought a Sonata last year because I had drove my Elantra for eleven years and needed something a little bigger since we have a son now. Never had any major problems with it!

Nissan rogue .
Awesome awesome in snow and ice , plenty of room in back for kids or teens, very good gas mileage , lots of storage
I found mine used, some of its features I love :

All leather seats
Seat warmers
All power seats with several adjustment options ( love the lumbar support one)
Bose sound system
Blue tooth phone system
Back up camera
Back seats flip down really easy for storage
Front passage seat can fold all the way forward for storage
In the hatch back trunk there is a pop up grocery divider that rocks
Extra pop out cup holders and adapter plug in in the back for kids drinks and phone chargers

Mine is a 2010 I got it about a year ago with 14,000 miles on it
After title tax blah blah blah I got it for right at $20,000

It looks like you've already narrowed it down to two, but I'll add in my suggestion anyway. I drive a Chevrolet Impala, as does my father and younger sister, and we all absolutely love them.
My Impala gets good gas mileage; it has to, as I'm a commuter student at a university nearly an hour away from home. Last term, when I commuted half the week and lived on campus the other half, I had to fill up every 3 weeks (every 2 weeks when I was doing my pre-student-teaching clinicals in another town); I expect to fill up every nine or ten days next fall when I'm full-time commuting, though I'm hoping to only have to fill up every two weeks. My Impala cost me $15,500 with a good deal from a dealer whom we've been working with for a long time, the actual value of the car according to them was $17,500.
My Impala has leather, though you can get them with cloth too. I have a Bose sound system and a sunroof, though I wouldn't pay extra for those features, they happened to come with the used car I bought. I mostly moved myself out of my college dorm with my Impala; all my parents had to take in our bigger car was my minifridge and a big storage unit I have. I had OnStar under a free trial when I first bought the car; I could have continued it if I wanted to. Supposedly I have Bluetooth, but I haven't figured out how to set it up yet. I have full-power seats and a fold-down backseat to expand the trunk, and seat-heaters in the front seats.
Lately, though, the most important feature of our Impalas to me has been their safety. Three weeks ago my younger sister was in a head-on (albeit low-speed) collision in her Impala with a bigger car--she didn't see the car and ran right into its side. Pretty much everything of importance under the hood of the car was damaged, and it took nearly 2 full weeks for repairs--after they got the parts in. The entire front of the car was damaged to the point that my parents thought the car was totaled. And with all that damage to the car, my sister wasn't hurt at all. The crash didn't even set off her airbags. And while part of that is due to the low speed at which the collision occurred, part of it is also due to her car taking the damage.
Just my two cents. I really like my Impala, and the other Impalas in our family, and I'm really appreciative of them right now. Your mileage may vary, but it's a good car that could meet your needs.

It looks like you've already narrowed it down to two, but I'll add in my suggestion anyway. I drive a Chevrolet Impala, as does my father and younger sister, and we all absolutely love them.

I had an Impala rental car for a week in March. Drove nice. Only issue I had was the pillar between the front and rear doors on the driver's side blocked my view when looking back to change lanes.

It is however, a full size car, not a midsized car, like the posted said they wanted.

That wouldn't even be a competition for me. I would get the Mazda and pay a bit more but be happier and most likely have a car that will last longer.

I wouldn't even have a Ford on my list though.

I have it narrowed down to 2. I think. And they are not exactly comparable to each other.

The one I want is a new 2014 Mazda 6 i touring. It is manual transmission. Is priced at $24540. I "want" this one.

The other is a certified 2012 ford focus sel. Priced at $18,800. This is the one that has some of the stuff I would like and a more acceptable price point.

So, I'm thinking that if I can get an acceptable amount from my trade in, and the loan amount gets below 20K, I will get the Mazda. If not, I will get the focus.

momz said:

My husband loves his new Mazda6. Of course he is the finance manager at the dealership so he gave himself one heck of a deal. The gas mileage is GREAT.

We were looking at the Mazda6 (and I still like it)...but I love a good stick shift, and we were happier with how the Mazda3 (hatchback) drove and handled, more so than the 6. Less space, but very convenient. Sit in it and see if it fits the kids.

My sister recently had similar shopping needs, and ended up with a Nissan Altima. It looks great! She was stepping down from a certified used Audi6.

You don't want the focus. I like Ford cars, stepping down to the Focus is going to feel really, really small.

That wouldn't even be a competition for me. I would get the Mazda and pay a bit more but be happier and most likely have a car that will last longer.

I wouldn't even have a Ford on my list though.

You are aware that Ford owns a piece of Mazda, and that the two companies share some engines and transmissions?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter