Recipie for Horseshoes

WenNRay

<font color=red>Queen of the Castle<br><font color
Okay for those of you who did not grow up in Springfield, Illinois, a horseshoe is an open-faced sandwich that originated there. I don't remember the history of it, but it is incredibly good, and many Springfield restaurants make them.

We just had them last night and I thought I'd share...

CHEESE SAUCE
1/2 lb. cheddar cheese
3/4 lb. velveeta
1/2 bottle of flat beer (Mom always used Bud, but I don't know if that matters)
3/4 pint of Half & Half
1/3 C. Instant White Sauce (I just make up a cup using Argo cornstarch using the recipie on the box)
3/4 t. dry mustard
1 1/2 tsp. worchestshire sauce
1/2 to 1 t. cayenne pepper
dash garlic powder
salt & pepper to taste

white bread
meat of your choice--can use ground beef, hamburger patties, sliced ham, turkey or beef
french fries

First make up your cheese sauce:
Mix white sauce, half & half in a large pan,
Add cheese and beer (I cube my cheese first so it melts quicker)
Stir until melted over medium heat
add spices
Allow 2 hours to mellow/thicken on LOW heat, stirring occasionally

Then cook your french fries (fry, bake, whatever). I use shoestring fries, but some use steak fries...
Prepare your meat
Prepare 2 slices of toast per serving

To assemble to Horseshoe, place the toast on the plate first, side by side
Then the meat comes next; cover the toast
Pile the fries on top,
Then drench it all in the cheese sauce...

It is incredible---hope you guys try it and enjoy! PM me if you have any questions or problems...

Hey Mom2Em, you're from Springfield, you know Horseshoes I bet?!

Wendy

Well when I was younger I preferred hamburger (patties). Now I usually have shaved ham. I just pick up some ham from the supermarket deli or lunchmeat section, and pile it on. LOVE IT! My stepdad used to have 'em with bacon & tomato, too.

It IS sinful...not for the faint of heart!

Wendy

Wendy introduced me to Horseshoes when we met and I have to say....if you have never had one....make em. I long for the nights we have Horseshoes for dinner. yummy!

Cool! I guarantee John (hubby) will love them! I'm sure I will too :) just don' tell my hips :)

Nice to see you Ray! :)

I just had to chuckle.

I clicked on this thread because our neighborhood is big on backyard horseshoes and thought it was about recipes to serve while playing horseshoes.

This sandwich sound absolutely delicious. It might be a good one to make when the kids come for dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter