• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Recipes for summer months

grumpy28

DIS Veteran
Hey all. After cooking up some chicken tonight, in the oven, and heating the house waaay too hot, I figured I need some good "summer recipes"....ones that need no oven required, and are quick and easy. Any ideas? TIA :)

Subscribing to this thread since I haven't turned my oven on since last Friday! Besides grilling, we've had Italian chicken using boneless breasts - cut into chunks, throw in a skillet, dump Italian dressing & cook til done. Microwave some broccoli & rice on the stove. Crock pot stuff is always good. Sub night, grilled chicken on green salad, meatball subs - again crockpot. Cold tuna or chic salad. I'm not much of a cook so our meals are pretty simple. Main dish w/some fresh fruit or veggies.

I'm running out of ideas so will be interested to see some new options!

I make lots of stuff on the grill. Stuffed peppers. I just double wrap them in reynolds wrap and turn them every 15 min or so. Cook about an hour and 1/2
I made a meatloaf in reynolds wrap on the grill too. Use the non stick or spray the foil though. I put everything in foil packets - veggies etc on the grill.

I use my toaster oven a lot too. that does heat the house up. I bake bread in it and brownies etc.

Kabobs are always good. Skewer some pineapple, beef or chicken and onion and grill. Also squash tossed in salt and pepper and italian dressing and grilled is also good. Grill corn on the cob instead of boiling. Throw some beef brisket, liquid smoke and BBQ sauce in the crock pot and cook for 4 to 6 hours. I think I will be checking on here too to see what everyone else comes up with.

We do a LOT of grilling too. Everything from the meat/chicken/seafood, to veggie kabobs, "camping potatoes" (cubed potatoes - nuked in the microwave for a few minutes first - mixed with a little olive oil, chopped onion & chopped fresh garlic, cooked on the grill in a disposable foil pan) or a whole baked potato cooked right on the grill (wrapped in foil), etc. We can do a whole meal without turning on the stove or oven. Love it!

Our absolute favorite summer meal though is pasta (we prefer angel hair) served with a fresh tomato-basil mixture.....chopped tomatoes, minced or chopped garlic (I use the stuff in the jar), fresh minced basil, and plenty of salt to season. Mix together and let it sit so the flavors mix - you can even prep it in the AM and let it sit on the counter covered with plastic wrap all day. Cook the pasta, top with tomato-basil mix, and top with shredded mozzerella cheese. It's amazing! Even my 3.5 and 2 year olds love it!! :thumbsup2

We do cold stuff - salads (filling ones with chicken, turkey, etc.), lots of sandwiches, omlets (at least they cook quick). Some days we have eaten fruit for lunch....Not only did we not feel like cooking, we did not feel like eating it was so hot.

Fruit plates.

Place lettuce leaves on plate. Add cottage cheese and assortment of fruit you like. Top with grated cheddar cheese and eat with Club crackers. Everything's cold and still yummy.

Crockpots! I'd love to find more freezer to crockpot recipes.

I swear by this website (recipezaar.com) and here are a few of my "online cookbook collections" from there.

"Summertime Suppers" (cold salads, grilling recipes, limited time stove top recipes, sandwiches, NO OVEN) http://www.recipezaar.com/cookbook.php?bookid=76077

Here's my crockpot cookbook from there, too "Crazy For The Crockpot"http://www.recipezaar.com/cookbook.php?bookid=67900

They also have a whole discussion forum on "OAMC" (Once A Month Cooking) that I'm contemplating trying out. I could totally handle one whole day in the kitchen, followed by a freezer of "heat and eat" meals for a month.

Marinade
1 c. water
1/3 c. teriyaki sauce
2 Tbl. lime juice (approx. 1 medium lime)
2 tsp. minced garlic (approx. 2 cloves)
1 tsp. liquid smoke flavoring (may substitute Worcestershire sauce)
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. ground ginger
¼ c. tequilla​
Mexi-Ranch Dressing
¼ c. mayonnaise
¼ c. sour cream
1 Tbl. milk
2 tsp. chopped tomato
1½ tsp. chopped green chile peppers (drained)
1 tsp. minced onion (I use the white part of a scallion)
¼ tsp dried parsley
¼ tsp. hot pepper sauce
pinch each of salt, dill, paprika, cayenne pepper, ground cumin and black pepper​
additional ingredients:

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (pound thin)
½ shredded Monterey Jack cheese
½ shredded Cheddar Cheese

Combine the marinade ingredients and add the chicken. Marinate in a covered bowl or a Ziploc bag for 2-3 hours. Longer if you wish to have astronger flavor.

Combine the Mexi-Ranch Dressing ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until needed. Prepare a day ahead for the flavors to "marry" but it will still taste great if you only wait a few hours. You can substitute a mixture of salsa and ranch dressing mixed 1:1 if you don't have all the spices.

Combine the cheeses in a separate bowl.

Remove chicken from marinade and discard the marinade. Grill for 3-5 minutes per side. Arrange chicken on a 9x13 pan. Top each with ¼ of the Mexi-Ranch dressing and then ¼ cup of the cheese mixture. Broil in toaster oven for 2-3 minutes until cheese melts.

I made this last night and my family LOVED it. I think that the chicken would be good alone and served cold over a bed of greens with maybe some mandarin oranges and feta cheese crumbles. I think that's what I'll have for lunch today.

We have a convection toaster oven that we use. An 8x8 pan fits with room to spare. Plus there is a second rack that can also be used. Doesn't heat up the kitchen on bit.

My new favorite this year is Strawberry Spinach Salad. The recipe has been around forever, but like everything else...I'm about 5 years late in getting it.

Anyway....the recipe is on allrecipes.com under Spring Strawberry Spinach Salad.

Just take a bag of spinach, cup of strawberries and throw together. The dressing is made with white wine vinegar, sugar, poppy seeds and a little oil.

I also throw some chicken over it for protein.

If you don't like strawberries, you can use grapes or oranges or whatever. It is so yummy and very healthy.

HeatherC

Try the cooking board here at the DIS- they have tons of recipes.

I have been around these boards for almost 2 1/2 years and I honestly didnt know they had a cook board!!!! :upsidedow :scared: Yes I should try getting out of my little comfort zone, huh!?!?! :rotfl2:

My new favorite this year is Strawberry Spinach Salad. The recipe has been around forever, but like everything else...I'm about 5 years late in getting it.

Anyway....the recipe is on allrecipes.com under Spring Strawberry Spinach Salad.

Just take a bag of spinach, cup of strawberries and throw together. The dressing is made with white wine vinegar, sugar, poppy seeds and a little oil.

I also throw some chicken over it for protein.

If you don't like strawberries, you can use grapes or oranges or whatever. It is so yummy and very healthy.

HeatherC

The wife made something very similar a few weeks back for a strawberry salad. She used mixed greens instead of spinach and she added crumbled blue cheese & pecans. Topped it off with a store bought strawberry vineagrette.....YUM YUM.

We made a huge bowl and the both of us acted like wild animals tearing at that salad.

We have also added grilled chicken for a nice summer salad.

To the original poster.....I rarely roast my own chickens anymore. I just grab a rotisserie chicken from the store. Grab 2 or 3 of these and shred the meat. Defrost in the microwave for a quick meal.

We love making south west chicken wraps (chicken salad made with cilantro, jalapenos, red onion & avocados....combined with some lemon juice & viniagrette). Serve with black beans and/or chips & salsa for a nice summer meal.

Thanks for the yummy replies! popcorn:: I cannot wait to try out some of these tasty recipes ( and my hot house thanks you too!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter