Recharging camera batteries in parks?

poohs_hunny

DIS Veteran
I bought a new digital camera that has a rechargable battery. It will be nice to not have to worry about bringing extra batteries with me. I plan on charging the camera at the resort every night. But if there is a day when I use the camera a lot and I need to recharge the battery while at the parks, do the camera centers have a place to do this? I thought I remembered reading that somewhere. How exactly does it work, since I obviously don't want to spend 2 hours in the store waiting for the camera to charge? Thanks for any info you can give me!

Not sure about the camera centers, but I wouldn't be suprised if this was something some CMs do "outside of normal services."

But honestly, I've snapped 150+ pics a day and haven't run out of juice with my new camera. I did run out on my 6yo digitial camera once or twice, but that was due to excessive video use, or just a really really long day and flash use.

I'd be suprised if it was really an issue. If you're really worried - how about a backup battery(s)?

well, look at it this way.. how long does it take for your battery to charge?

ive made the mistake. i keep a backup battery on me and a full charge can last me more than a day, yet somehow i ended up with 2 batteries low on juice. i was able to charge it in this particular case at the seas in Epcot. so there are options available, but you need to be able to give up the time waiting for it.

We use rechargeable Energizer AA batteries. Our charger charges 2 or 4 batteries at a time. The first pair was used for half the day and put on the charger when we returned to our room midday and then we popped in the second pair. We used the zoom a lot, also video mode and the display. We tried to limit reviewing the pictures until we got back to the room to delete the unwanted photos. Both pair were on the charger overnight, fresh and ready for the next morning.

Alright, this is something that is near and dear to me because I'm married to a serial re-charger.

You should buy two batteries and have them both fully charged when you arrive. Now, you should use the first battery UNTIL IT IS FULLY DEAD!!!. Then switch to the second one. You will then know how many pictures you can take on one battery. That night, charge the dead battery, but not the one that is in the camera. Use that one until it is fully dead and repeat the process.

You should never recharge a battery until it is as close to fully depleted as possible. Rechargable batteries are inherently lazy and will develop a memory(lithium ion batteries aren't as bad as the old nickle/cadmium ones, but they still do this), once they get an estimate on how much power usage will be required on average, they will only charge to that level.

You should do this with all re-chargable batteries. Use them until they are dead, then recharge them.

NiCd does have 'memory issues,' which is really a lowering of overall capacity because of overcharging (memory is a bit of a misnomer as the battery itself has no real such understanding). it can actually usually be rectified by conducting a deep discharge. But NiCd is rarely used nowadays anyway. most rechargeables are NiMH and don't suffer from that problem.

Lithium Ion also doesn't suffer from the same problem, but due to oxidation, capacity does get lowered after years of use. Also, repeated charging without completely discharging can disturb the gauge if the battery has one so it may not accurately be read, but a complete discharge and recharge fixes that though.

Do you have to view the picture via the LCD monitor? If not, practice before you leave home using the viewfinder and shut the monitor off. You will be surprised how long your battery lasts and your pictures will be just fine.

that might also depend on the camera. a lot of p&s's now are using electronic viewfinders EVFs anyway (although they are smaller, so it probably does stand to help)

the problem with non-SLR traditional viewfinders is that they don't see the same image that the lens does. you're higher and off to the side (at landscape orientation anyway). that's what makes SLRs SLRs - that you see the exact same image that the lens does thanks to a series of mirrors.

so the EVF allows the same image displayed on the back panel to be played on a smaller LCD screen inside the traditional viewfinder spot.

actually, according to wikipedia, the power requirements for the EVF are the same as a larger screen. so unless it's only one on vs both on, you shouldn't see a huge difference in battery consumption.

I am an avid SLR user, but when digital came out, (digital)SLR was cost prohibitive. So I got me a very nice (at the time) digital camera that did have a viewfinder in addition to the LCD monitor. It took me about 10 minutes to figure out how the camera took the picture thru the viewfinder. Not rocket science!

I bought a new digital camera that has a rechargable battery. It will be nice to not have to worry about bringing extra batteries with me. I plan on charging the camera at the resort every night. But if there is a day when I use the camera a lot and I need to recharge the battery while at the parks, do the camera centers have a place to do this? I thought I remembered reading that somewhere. How exactly does it work, since I obviously don't want to spend 2 hours in the store waiting for the camera to charge? Thanks for any info you can give me!

I don't get it. Wouldn't it be a whole lot easier to just carry 2 extra batteries?

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

I don't get it. Wouldn't it be a whole lot easier to just carry 2 extra batteries?

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Well, perhaps it would be easier, but I really am trying to avoid that. I don't want to have to buy an extra battery and carry it around. I doubt that I'll have a problem with the battery getting depleted in one day's time, but you never know. With my luck, it would happen right before a character meal. :headache: My camera only has an LCD screen - no viewfinder, so saving battery power that way isn't an option.

When I bought my point and shoot digital camera in 2004, the battery was very expensive at the store. So when we were planning our 2006 trip to WDW, I was ready to spend $$ for an extra battery. I found it on ebay for $1.99!!!! It is so small that it takes up hardly any space in my tiny camera case and I feel better always having an extra battery.

Well, perhaps it would be easier, but I really am trying to avoid that. I don't want to have to buy an extra battery and carry it around. I doubt that I'll have a problem with the battery getting depleted in one day's time, but you never know. With my luck, it would happen right before a character meal. :headache: My camera only has an LCD screen - no viewfinder, so saving battery power that way isn't an option.

Poohs_hunny... I understand not wanting to spend money that you don't have to, but I wouldn't go to WDW with only 1 battery or 1 memory card for my camera. Backups are always a good thing to have. Plus buying the spare at home you have the luxery of looking for a good deal. If you get down to WDW and something happens to your battery there you will spend a lot more for it's replacement. Plus time is money, especially at Disney. Waiting around to recharge your battery cost more than the extra battery charge. I would definitely go with an extra battery.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter