Recently Returned from the World

rsbuxt

Mouseketeer
Hi Guys

Got back from an excellent 19 day stay in Florida a couple of weeks ago, so thought I'd let you know some positives and negatives from our trip.....

Positive : Cape May Cafe
Although we have visited this restaurant before it has never been one of our “must-do's”....until now! Since our last visit crab legs have been added to the buffet and they were worth the cost of the meal alone. Everything else was fantastic also and this proved to be easily the best meal of the vacation.
Negative : Sci-Fi Dine-In
I know, I know, the ratings for this restaurant have never been good, but it was requested by my 15-year old daughter. We ordered 1 appetizer and 3 entres (plus a side of fries) and it was all sent back to the kitchen – after a 40 minute wait it arrived at our table stone cold! Quite an argument then ensued between myself and the manager, but the result was we only paid for the drinks. Never again!

Positive : Magical Express
Maybe we were just lucky, but from collecting our cases to leaving on the bus was 25 minutes – no hold ups at all. I did see other people in lines for other hotels so I guess our timing was just right.
Negative : Magical Express Bus
Every window on the bus (except the driver's) was blacked out with Disney adverts. I like to see my surroundings as we journey to the World, but this was both impossible and ridiculous.

Positive : Not having a car for the first part of our trip
I am always the designated driver on our vacations so it was nice to be able to have a beer or glass of wine with my meals without the though of driving later.
Negative : Not having a car for the first part of our trip
Disney transportation is excellent, but get from hotel to hotel for meals is somewhat of a ball ache, particularly on the return journey when the parks are closing. Poly back to POP took an hour.

Positive : Dreams Unlimited Travel
Dorothy is amazing!
Negative : UK Travel Companies
Way more expensive than using Dreams. Everyone booking flights, hotel etc.. independent of each other should compare UK prices for hotel, tickets etc., with Dreams!

Positive : Food & Wine Festival – with snack credits
The first part of our trip was with free dining so we saved our snack credits (20 of them) for F&W. Between the 4 of us we actually used 17 at F&W. The Lobster Roll at $7.50 was a real deal using the snack credit. We had a great night!
Negative - Positive : Food & Wine Festival – without snack credits
OK, we returned to F&W later in our trip without free dining and the food options suddenly seemed quite expensive for the size of the portions – the tiny Lobster Roll was no longer a real deal!

Positive : Wolfgang Puck Express
This is a real bargain with free dining. 3 large pizzas, a pasta dish, 4 wonderful deserts and drinks and although you order at the counter you are served the food at the table. Excellent.
Negative : Wishes Desert Party
It's a bit unfair for me to give this a negative, but let me explain. The weather was terrible on the night we were there and Wishes was less than perfect (lots of smoke from fireworks drifting our way), and it was very cold. The deserts themselves were good (except the mango shot that tasted very strange), and there was loads I wanted to try, but there is only so much sugary goodness you can take!

Positive : Osbourne Lights
This is my favorite thing at Disney World and we extended our vacation must so that we could attend the opening night (strangely only the week before we were at MNSSHP.....Halloween and Christmas on the same trip!!). The lights dancing to Trans-Siberian Orchestra is always the highlight.
Negative : Phineas & Ferbs intrusion into Osbourne Lights (!)
Erm, what was this all about? Suddenly the lights dimmed and these 2 Disney TV characters begin to speak, fix the lights, and then the lights dance to part of their upcoming album soundtrack. Really!!!

Positive : The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
OK, as well as being a Disney Obsessive, I also like the Harry Potter novels (read them on a previous vacation). I was worried that Universal would not do the “land” justice, and not as well as Disney would have. I was wrong – what Universal has put together theming wise is amazingly good. It's not without it's problems – the shops, particularly HoneyDukes are way too small and were rammed; there was a 90 minute wait to get inside the wand shop – we didn't bother; at 6'4 and 17.5 stone I did have to test the “fat chair” but was OK to ride. But, that all being said, the positives way outweighed the negatives. The ride is amazing!
Negative : The Simpsons Ride
The other attraction I was really looking forward to at Universal and I was really disappointed. The waiting area is fun, but I thought the screen on the ride itself was dim and not as good as say Spiderman.

Positive : Week 1 Temperatures
Record highs for that time of year
Negative : Week 3 Temperatures
Record lows on some days for time of year – it was cold!

Positive : Roger Hodgson from Supertramp at Eat to the Beat
Wonderful, particularly as we didn't realize he was performing and it was a nice suprise.
Negative : Billy Ocean at Eat to the Beat
I'm not a fan and he looks kinda weird these days – would not have been out of place in Cirque du Soleil!

Positive : Spending time with Family
During the last 10 days of the trip we were joined by my wife's family from Miami. It was great to see my nephews and niece again after so long (nine years in one case)
Negative : Spending time with Family (!)
When everyone wants to do different things it is quite stressful – and even more stressful when we did theme parks together. I feel a solo trip coming on to do all the things I missed due to hold-ups!

Finally I have to put the negatives first or you won't understand...

Negative : House Flood
With 2 days remaining on our vacation we found out we had had a flood at our home in the UK. The leak was in the loft and our bedroom was ruined!
Positive : My sister's quick actions
The flood could have been much worse, but my sister was checking our house and got a plumber to fix the problem straight away. It will still be at least a month before we can use bedroom again.

Negative : Wife's illness on journey home – Big Negative
Our flights home were Orlando – Washington, Washington – London. My wife began to feel ill on return journey from Orlando to Washington. On arrival at Washington she was very ill. Paramedics attended and it was thought at on point that she may have had bleeding on the brain. Here blood pressure was also through the roof. She was rushed to hospital were she was treated for 7 hours before being released. It wasn't a brain issue, although we are still not sure what it was – she is having various tests back here in the UK.
Positive : The Paramedics, Emergency Room staff and United Airlines
All were fantastic and I am massively grateful to them.

Well that was longer than I expected! Would love to hear your thoughts.

Richie

Welcome home Richie, sounds like you had a great time.

Never been to Sci Fi, Cape May we didn't enjoy, DW doesn't like anything out of the ocean (I do) but the lines were crazy, people argueing about pushing in and a poor server.

Never done ME but a lot of the buses look to be covered with ads, must be annoying onboard.

I couldn't be without car although in August we did use the buses a little more.

Totaly agree, DU service is excellent, especially Sue Ellen:thumbsup2

We have only done F&W without credits, only bought 1 snack, a dish of gumbo, nice but so overpriced.

WPE is our fave CS on DDP, would never pay those prices OOP.

Not done Dessert party, too much money for me for a few desserts.

Phineas & Ferbs intrusion sounds strange, we preferred OL's years ago when the backlot houses were there but still worth a look.

I am not a HP fan, only seen 1st film and not read a book but I think Uni have done a fantastic job, loved the place, just a little too large for the ride unfortunately.
I don't really know Simpsons but enjoy the ride(preferred as BTTF)

Good luck with the flood & let us know how your wife goes on, glad you were looked after.
Thanks for posting your experiences.:goodvibes

Great review. Sounds like you were there partly same time as us as billy ocean was on one night were there, although we didn't watch him.

Hope your wife is ok - must have been an awful experience for you all.

Good to read your experiences and thoughts.

We are trying Sci-Fi for the first time this trip - so perhaps not a good choice??

I'm glad your wife got back home safely and that you had good treatment from the airline and emergency services - fingers crossed that it was only a blip:)

Hope you are sorting out your flood damage without too much hassle :thumbsup2

Welcome home Richie! :)

Negative : Magical Express Bus
Every window on the bus (except the driver's) was blacked out with Disney adverts. I like to see my surroundings as we journey to the World, but this was both impossible and ridiculous.

I totally agree with this. I was really disappointed!

Positive : Food & Wine Festival – with snack credits
The first part of our trip was with free dining so we saved our snack credits (20 of them) for F&W. Between the 4 of us we actually used 17 at F&W. The Lobster Roll at $7.50 was a real deal using the snack credit. We had a great night!

Sounds fab. I can't wait for my first F&WF next year!

Negative : House Flood
With 2 days remaining on our vacation we found out we had had a flood at our home in the UK. The leak was in the loft and our bedroom was ruined!
Positive : My sister's quick actions
The flood could have been much worse, but my sister was checking our house and got a plumber to fix the problem straight away. It will still be at least a month before we can use bedroom again.

Negative : Wife's illness on journey home – Big Negative
Our flights home were Orlando – Washington, Washington – London. My wife began to feel ill on return journey from Orlando to Washington. On arrival at Washington she was very ill. Paramedics attended and it was thought at on point that she may have had bleeding on the brain. Here blood pressure was also through the roof. She was rushed to hospital were she was treated for 7 hours before being released. It wasn't a brain issue, although we are still not sure what it was – she is having various tests back here in the UK.
Positive : The Paramedics, Emergency Room staff and United Airlines
All were fantastic and I am massively grateful to them.

I'm really sorry about the flood and your wife's illness. :hug:

Will use your tip next year and save my snack credits for the Beer and Wine Festival :)

Hope your wife has recovered!

Love Billy Ocean! Saw him earlier this year in Blackpool he was so cool :cool2:

Mind you, 'Suddenly' is our song and this being our Silver anniversary it meant a lot to us to see him.

Saw Richard Marx last year at the Eat to the Beat, now that was amazing, (all six concerts!) even planned our trip around it!

Hope you wife is on the road to recovery.

Great positive/negative reort :thumbsup2

We too are not big HP fans,but we still enjoyed the themed area,though i think it was a little lost on us as i saw some very over excited American visitors buying anything and everything Harry Potter.Kids loved the ride too.I sat that one out.

I have come across lots of negative SiFi reports,but i have to say we have always loved it.We find it a relaxing break from the hecticness of the park.Food will never win any awards,but it is one of our must dos.I think you were just unlucky,which is very annoying.

We had to call paramedics for DD once and they were 1st class too, really looked after us.Very reasuring for anyone traveling who is not 100% fit and healthy.

great trip report and I love your positive/negatives. Interesting to read :goodvibes
I hope your wife is ok and an answer is found for you both to find out what was wrong :wizard:

might sound random, but what row did you sit on on the Simpsons ride? Ive ridden it three times....the first time I loved it on the front row, the second time thought it was rubbish on the 2nd row...and then rode it again on the front row and loved it again! Deffinatley a front row ride!

might sound random, but what row did you sit on on the Simpsons ride? Ive ridden it three times....the first time I loved it on the front row, the second time thought it was rubbish on the 2nd row...and then rode it again on the front row and loved it again! Deffinatley a front row ride!

Interesting...........2nd row!

Richie

Rodger Hodgson! :woohoo: I would have thought that I died and went to heaven to stumble upon a RH concert on my WDW trip. How was it?

Ditto on hoping your issues have cleared.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter