• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Recent & Rumored Changes Turning Me Off

Sorry some of my response got cut off.

A lot of people who take a once in a lifetime trip has to save to be able to stay at a value and moderate resort. A splurge for them could mean staying on property, not spending thousands on VIP extras.

Disney shouldn’t alienate people who spend the majority of their holiday money at Disney. Once these people start to dip their toes into other holidays then they might not want to take a yearly holiday to Disney.

Disney is branded as a family holiday but they are making it too expensive for families and too complicated. (Bye Magical Express and shorter waits with Fastpass) Parents and kids aren’t having fun in long lines and hot sun. Why is that we see people posting here that kids don’t want to leave the resort Pools? Once parents realize that it is cheaper and everyone is less cranky at a beach/resort then Disney might not win for the yearly holiday.

They want both. They cannot fill hotel rooms and restaurants with only first-time visitors. They cannot sell DVC to people who do not return over and over. If the hotels and restaurants were filled with repeat visitors, preventing those valued first-timers from visiting, then the argument might hold water. And if a repeat visitor doesn't purchase a $25 FOTL pass for ToT, that's not stopping a newbie from spending their money on it.
Yep. They want it all.

If they didn't want return visitors they wouldn't start selling APs again. Which they will.

This is a multi front battle. They want victory on all fronts.

Yep. They want it all.

If they didn't want return visitors they wouldn't start selling APs again. Which they will.

This is a multi front battle. They want victory on all fronts.
It's an astonishing situation. I started working on a plan B vacation yesterday if we decide it's best for us to cancel. I'm not really sad either.
I feel like they are draining a good deal of vacation fun away. It's good for me to remember I have other options.

Lastly, I am not reserving judgment on the monstrosity that is in the middle of world showcase, it is ugly and makes me sad.

Okay, vent over. 😁

Everyone has their breaking point...I totally get it.

What we did was just start giving our money different places...we're still spending the same amount and still going to Disney but they are just getting as big of the pie as they used to.

Prior to 2020 I had never stayed at a Universal resort and only stayed offsite for a Disney trip for like a total of ten days in my like. Since then, we became UO annual pass-holders. Spent a week at Cabana Bay last September, two nights at Portofino in November, two nights at the Hard Rock last week and have two nights booked there in January. We also did a week off-site last November.

We just got off a cruise ship last week and normally, would have booked a day or two at WDW, maybe a trip to Disney Springs...instead, two days at UO with a wonderful dinner, movie and shopping at City Walk.

Their goal is to increase their profit margin and reduce spending (labor, etc) so I get it but the only way things will start to skew back into the favor of the guest is for people to stop spending their money there.

What we did was just start giving our money different places...we're still spending the same amount and still going to Disney but they are just getting as big of the pie as they used to.

Prior to 2020 I had never stayed at a Universal resort and only stayed offsite for a Disney trip for like a total of ten days in my like. Since then, we became UO annual pass-holders. Spent a week at Cabana Bay last September, two nights at Portofino in November, two nights at the Hard Rock last week and have two nights booked there in January. We also did a week off-site last November.

We just got off a cruise ship last week and normally, would have booked a day or two at WDW, maybe a trip to Disney Springs...instead, two days at UO with a wonderful dinner, movie and shopping at City Walk.

Their goal is to increase their profit margin and reduce spending (labor, etc) so I get it but the only way things will start to skew back into the favor of the guest is for people to stop spending their money there.

How did you enjoy your stays at Universal Hotels? How did they compare to Disney?

I think my biggest issue with Universal is that they have a lot of simulator rides and I hate them. At least that was the case in LA.

Same. We returned to USO this summer for the first time in 17 years. We did one day in the MK for our Disney fix.

How did you enjoy your stays at Universal Hotels? How did they compare to Disney?

I think my biggest issue with Universal is that they have a lot of simulator rides and I hate them. At least that was the case in LA.
I purposely set out to develop an interest in Harry Potter so I could find something to love about USO. It was also a great bonding experience with my young adult daughter to watch all the movies. My adult son was in town for a few days and he has started watching them with us as well. It's been a very positive thing.

Yes, there are a lot of simulator rides. And I don't love them as much as I love a good Disney dark ride. But I also don't like feeling like a "mark" when I'm in the parks. And the Harry Potter stuff is spectacular. And with Express Pass, the experience overall is far superior. Especially in terms of current day experiences.

I always thought people shouldn't rush back to give money to Disney right during/after a pandemic. Let Disney get back up to speed. Don't let Disney get away with less staff, services, shows, rides. The consumer should DEMAND this from Disney. By going back in droves, all people have done is let Disney know they will pay for the bare minimum experience. So going forward I believe the big-wigs are sitting in the conference room laughing away, saying "heck we don't have to take down the walls at Epcot! they'll pay anyway!!"

I went to Universal for the first time in June, stayed at Cabana Bay, which is one of their value resorts. It blows any Disney Value out of the water in every way. I'm also not a huge fan of simulators, but I do love Harry Potter, which is, imo, unsurpassed in theming and immersiveness. I would have gladly spent the entire trip in Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade just wizarding about.

I found I could handle some of the simulator type rides better than others, especially since so many still move through a track like a regular dark ride. For some reason that improved the experience for me.

Also just returned from wdw a week ago, and it was still magical, and in so many ways still better than Universal. Maybe it was because we already have solid touring plans, maybe because, with a 2 y.o. we didn't feel the need to rush, or maybe because we splurged on dining, snacks and souvenirs, and also paid up to add a couple character meals and a CYM (amazing experience, impatiently awaiting prints in the mail), or also because we got to go to F&W. I don't know. But we had a great time and I'm ready to go back.

We never did parties or after hours events anyway, so I really don't care how much they are charging for them, though I admit the price is high. I'm in wait and see mode with Genie. Quite honestly I would be happy if FP never returned in any form. It was like the Disney of my childhood.

I’m so happy that I found this thread. I was thinking it was just me.. I grew up a Disney kid, met my husband who has never been, turned him and now we are raising a Disney son and to be honest this whole situation makes me so sad!
We have enjoyed the parks 1-2 times a year for the last 15 years. Deluxe hotels, park hoppers.. each vacation better then the next with new experiences and relaxing by SAB. What more could I ask for.. We went for the 1st time after the pandemic last April. I cried walking into Epcot, our favorite park despite the construction, we were so happy to be back! My son now 7 is obsessed with Star Wars (my husband’s dream) we were all amazed at the new land. Rode everything and had the best time! We booked a trip for feb 2022, I was shocked at the rates! 720 a night for BI? How could that be? We switched to April break knowing the weather would be perfect for swimming and we want to try Blizzard beach for the first time.. but the price is killing me. We could deal without ME, we can deal without magic bands.. but still no fp, character meets? For double the cost? It just makes me angry and sad. I’ve priced tons of other options in the Caribbean and through out the county, they’re not Disney but a lot less money.
Unfortunately I feel like I need to celebrate the 50th, like I need closure I guess ;) My son wants to go back but it’s a difficult choice. We are not rich by any means, we just love Disney and kinda feel betrayed :(

A lot of people who take a once in a lifetime trip has to save to be able to stay at a value and moderate resort. A splurge for them could mean staying on property, not spending thousands on VIP extra
Agreed. "Splurging" is just being at Disney instead of a regional theme park, and decisions have to be made with budget in mind. A "splurge" could be an in-park soda or popcorn, a set of Mickey ears, or a $20 stuffed animal.

From 1981 to 2006, my family took 1 trip to Disney, and we stayed off-site at a Red Roof Inn. We stayed at a better off-site hotel in 2007, and in 2010, I "splurged" and took my siblings to All-Star Movies (but we still packed Pop-tarts, PB sandwiches, etc. to cut down on the amount of quick-service we needed to buy).

Also wondering if they do make FP a paid option and price it as we anticipate, won’t that just make stand-by lines longer? When people are standing in lines they are not spending money, they are not eating or shopping. Part of the evil genius of the FP of the past was that you had to fill time in between reservations which often included shops and snacks.

I have been on these boards for over 20 years and have read and authored countless threads with the same sentiment. Everytime I think there is no way guests are going to tolerate this price change/loss of parades/fireworks/parking fees/etc the Disney Company comes back stronger. Whcih proves I have no business acumen,lol.

Our family doesn't vacation to WDW like we use to. I just can not justify the money for the experience but apparently we are in the minority since they still are printing money.

20 years ago we had huge debates on these boards about the quality and value of a Disney vacation. Little did I realize that was a golden time.

They still want you and your family. They just want you to spend more money for the experiences offered. This post is a variation on a common recent theme. I think Disney made clear they recognize the problem. They can't keep cramming more people in there. So they want fewer customers that are willing to pay more for the experiences. We can all have opinions about that strategy, but I don't think its going away
I often wonder what Walt would have felt about all of these experiences that cost families so much $$$. The after hours parties for the holidays alone could cost a family of 4 $1000 Christmas week on top of their park admission! Wasn't he all about NOT "nickel and diming" his guests? How did they go this far off the rails?

Unfortunately, some are giving Disney high marks in customer satisfaction despite threads like these. Chapek feels customer satisfaction is higher than pre-pandemic levels. I do think the only way they would learn differently is to see demand wain. But, as we can see from the parties selling out and packed parks those who don't want to spend the money are just going to be replaced. As a DVC owner with many years ahead planned and two little girls who love Disney, it is distressing to think we may have to move on to something else sooner than rather than later.

Literally Grew up at disney multiple visits, once married and again with kids repeated my own childhood. Moved to Fla and became AP’s and continued my obsession, different type visits, more, longer, slower paced and adult only fun. .. until Covid hit. Waited and anticipated our return but have yet to return. They ve basically told the fla residents that we re no longer important .. we don’t Spend enough ( not as many meals/souvies/hotel stays) but they re Wrong! I CHOSE to stay onsite always for the Perks and Immersion feel, I CHOSE to eat at the Better restaurants and CHOSE to buy all the holiday bday gifts and Special Memory makers for myself.
But… the Perks are basically Gone, the deluxe ( and all) Room Prices are Ridiculously high. ( and anyone that truly travels outside the disney bubble Knows that Disney Deluxe and True Deluxe resorts are Vastly Different!). The loss of AP’s was the last straw for visits/multi visits. Who wants to go where they feel unwanted, Under-valued. I say it’s their loss …of my cash lol and I’m okay with it. Others will make up for our money and our space so CHOSE what works for you! Stay Safe All 😎

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter