Recent Nursery Experiences

hamm1207

Alaskan DIS Veteran
We set sail in 24 days, and it's our daughter's first cruise (she'll be 12 months old). I was reading a recent post about some unfortunate events for a family regarding the nursery, and I was wondering how frequent these types of events occur. For example, an infant has "loose" stools (what if that's a normal for them--especially if they're young) and the parent had to come get them and have them checked out by medical, or running a temperature (what triggers the staff to take a temperature) and the child was fine?

I'm not too concerned about it, we're only planning on taking our daughter to the nursery twice (palo brunch and an excursion--she's there for 4 hours while we're visiting Nassau). How do they get a hold of us if we're not on the ship, do they just wait until we get back on board? She does wonderful in the church nursery for 3 hours, and she's an easy going kid. She does have a dairy allergy, so I'll include almond milk for her and some individually wrapped snacks. Although I'm assuming they'll feed her fruit if it's available--what about lunch during lunch time?

I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that she'll be good in the nursery, well taken care of and have fun...

What have your experiences been. Thanks!

We had a good experience with the nursery on the Magic this month for our 10 month old. He seemed to have a good time; the staff was very nice. One night (they weren't busy) someone held him sleeping for 2 hours because he woke up whenever they put him down. They called us the first time we dropped him off because he had a "rash" which I explained was a birthmark. No other medical issues although I was worried about this too.

Our daughter spent time in the nursery when she was only three months old (DCL old policy). We spent time at Palo and off the ship without her. She had way more fun than being stuck in a carrier or stroller out in the hot sun! She also spent time in the nursery when she was fifteen months old which she was not quite so happy about, but was fine soon after we left. We also utilized the nursery when she was 23 months old while we went on snorkeling excursions and to Palo. We always had great experiences with her time in the nursery. No complaints here!

We have had all positive experiences with the nursery. My older DS was in the nursery on the Fantasy when he was 6 months and later when he was 18 months old. Very different needs on each trip and we were very pleased both times. My younger DS was in the nursery on the Magic just a few weeks ago at 9 months old and we were equally pleased. I think the people there are fantastic and have never had any complaints! Very friendly, very responsive. They will feed your child whatever you drop off with instructions. I think they will also feed meals if it is during their set lunch/dinner times when the meals are delivered, but we never did that. We never left the ship when they were in the nursery, so I cant speak to that question.

How do they get a hold of us if we're not on the ship, do they just wait until we get back on board?

If you are off the ship, it may depend on the excursion and the port how/whether they can reach you. I've read reports of people leaving a cell phone number when leaving the ship. Of course, you'd need to have cell service in port -- both service through your phone plan (international plan or whatever) as well as a signal in the excursion location. If booked on a DCL excursion and there is a real emergency, they may try to reach you through the excursion host. But if they know you are leaving the ship they will try not to interrupt you.

She does have a dairy allergy, so I'll include almond milk for her and some individually wrapped snacks. Although I'm assuming they'll feed her fruit if it's available--what about lunch during lunch time?

They will feed her what you bring. If she is there during the scheduled lunch or dinner time, and you approve the meal for her, they will also offer her the kids' meal. I suggest you discuss what you'd like before dropping her off. You are welcome to bring food from Cabanas or elsewhere onboard as well. Since she has a food allergy, they may be particularly careful (erring on the side of caution) with regards to what they'll give her.

Enjoy your cruise!

If you are off the ship, it may depend on the excursion and the port how/whether they can reach you. I've read reports of people leaving a cell phone number when leaving the ship. Of course, you'd need to have cell service in port -- both service through your phone plan (international plan or whatever) as well as a signal in the excursion location. If booked on a DCL excursion and there is a real emergency, they may try to reach you through the excursion host. But if they know you are leaving the ship they will try not to interrupt you.

They will feed her what you bring. If she is there during the scheduled lunch or dinner time, and you approve the meal for her, they will also offer her the kids' meal. I suggest you discuss what you'd like before dropping her off. You are welcome to bring food from Cabanas or elsewhere onboard as well. Since she has a food allergy, they may be particularly careful (erring on the side of caution) with regards to what they'll give her.

Enjoy your cruise!
Thank you! I may just bring her some fruit and food from Cabanas or set it up so that I can get her a meal--she's there over lunch during our excursion. We'll also have plenty of individual snacks/applesauces with us as well. Thanks again.

we had great experiences with our 5 month old in 2013 on the fantasy. He had horrible reflux and spit up constantly. The caregivers didn't bat an eye and even joked about who he got each day and who escaped. When we called from the adult pool one day and asked if he could stay a little longer they seemed genuinely excited that they got to keep him a little longer. Perhaps it was just doing their job, but I never worried when he was in their care.

Our son was 15 months old when he stayed in the nursery and he just wasn't feeling it, lol. I'm sure they were treating him fine, and we only went to dinner at Palo, but they constantly texted us on the wave phone that he was crying and not happy. It made it very hard to enjoy our dinner and we actually skipped dessert and left to go get him. He was literally just being a crank. We will try it again on our next cruise, but he will be 3 then, so hopefully better with staying there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter