• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Recent experiences-How is dowtown disney? Worth a trip for dinner and shops?

disprincess2213

DIS Veteran
We are staying at BLT and are thinking on going to DTD one night around 6 for dinner and shops. How is the construction now? Is the enormous Disney store still open and the lego shop? I wish I knew what was open and what was closed or blocked off. Any pics of the construction so I can get an idea? Is it still enjoyable with the construction? Also, how long is the ride from BLT and how late does the bus return? Thanks guys!!

Just got back from WDW last night. We went to Downtown Disney on Friday night. Took a Disney bus rather than driving so we wouldn't have to mess with finding parking. We were only interested in going to the Marketplace area and found it was just fine. All was open there as usual and not really disrupted by construction. It must be the other 2 sections of DD that have more construction going on right now.

We hit the Lego Store, World of Disney store, Earl of Sandwich, Ghirardelli's, and a couple other shops. It was busy that evening, but not bad really.

Not sure how long the bus ride from BLT would be. We came from BWV which is considerably closer than BLT.

Go for it! Have a great time! :)

I want to take a look at my fav place, the old Adventurers Club...can you walk over there and take a look at the outside...and the former site of the Comedy Warehouse? I may cry when I see it is now gone. Some of my best WDW memories are from the AC and CW...what was Disney thinking???? My Grandchildren will never get to enjoy the unique experience that those two places offered..and I have yet to make a Kungaloosh!!!! :sad:

Just got back from WDW last night. We went to Downtown Disney on Friday night. Took a Disney bus rather than driving so we wouldn't have to mess with finding parking. We were only interested in going to the Marketplace area and found it was just fine. All was open there as usual and not really disrupted by construction. It must be the other 2 sections of DD that have more construction going on right now.

We hit the Lego Store, World of Disney store, Earl of Sandwich, Ghirardelli's, and a couple other shops. It was busy that evening, but not bad really.

Not sure how long the bus ride from BLT would be. We came from BWV which is considerably closer than BLT.

Go for it! Have a great time! :)

Thats exactly what we want!! Thank you!! We will absolutely plan to go!!

We were actually pleasantly surprised with Downtown Disney! I remember saying how surprised I was that the construction didn't seem nearly as bad as some of the reports I had read. I really didn't feel it took away from anything. The big Disney store "World of Disney" was open along with the Lego store. We had dinner at Raglan Road one night and it was FANTASTIC! We loved browsing the shops. Also, we did Disney Quest and it was probably the worst thing we did all trip. Granted we are two twenty-somethings with no kids...I think it'd be cool for kids, especially those who love video games. But yeah, generally, we were pleasantly surprised with Downtown Disney! :goodvibes

I'm a guy who hates taking busses anywhere but I will not drive to DTD until everything is done. Getting into the garage and finding a space took forever. I will either take a bus or boat for the foreseeable future.

I'm a guy who hates taking busses anywhere but I will not drive to DTD until everything is done. Getting into the garage and finding a space took forever. I will either take a bus or boat for the foreseeable future.

was this recently during the January "down" season or during a busier season?

We're going next week and love to drive (rather than take the bus) looking for any good (recent) parking type information at DTD

The traffic is normally only brutal on the weekends. Other than heavy traffic at times, it's not too bad. The construction really doesn't affect much and the parking garage is nice. We were there about two weeks ago and found quite a bit of parking on the 3rd floor.

DTD isn't as bad as some people say. Only bad thing can be the traffic.

I was there on Sat 1/3 in the afternoon. I'd say it can be fun, but you have to want it if you're driving. Had to park across the street and down past the Hess station--about a 15-minute walk to get to World of Disney.

Coming back I encountered something I'd never seen before, and it was a line down the sidewalk to walk across the street. It was at the intersection to walk across the street to the Hess Station. Pedestrians were backed up down the sidewalk about 75 feet in a queue to cross the street. I counted 3 light changes before my "group" of pedestrians was able to get across.

And that was in early afternoon. Evening? Guessing it's worse.

Streets around DTD are crap. And a lot of the parking is in an overflow across the street and not really sidewalked well.

Take the bus.

Usually I plan to leave a park and go to POFQ and grab a boat but the last two trips the dock at Marketplace was closed. The buses are a little time consuming but a much better alternative to driving.

All that being said, DTD is a must and I do it at least once each trip. World of Disney is a much better use of shopping time then wondering through all those little shops in the parks.

I want to take a look at my fav place, the old Adventurers Club...can you walk over there and take a look at the outside...and the former site of the Comedy Warehouse? I may cry when I see it is now gone. Some of my best WDW memories are from the AC and CW...what was Disney thinking???? My Grandchildren will never get to enjoy the unique experience that those two places offered..and I have yet to make a Kungaloosh!!!! :sad:

Adventurers Club building is still there, but it is currently walled off. Only the roof is visible. The area where the Comedy Warehouse was is now a restroom.

We are going President's week. We are going to spend a non-park day doing Fantasia Gardens then over to Downtown Disney (T-Rex lunch then Disney Quest).

Wondering if we should just leave the car by Fantasia Gardens and take a bus to Downtown area?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter