Recent Downtown Disney / Disney Springs Experience?

coley444

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

I'm staying onsite 10/28 - 11/1. First October trip :D

In the past DTD has been our first WDW destination, but we were thinking of avoiding it with all the construction.

We could take the bus so parking is a non-issue for us.

I'm curious if DTD is generally an eye sore lately?

Are there still tons of walls up?

I've seen the aerial shots that look like a lot of projects are in the works. But I don't know how that translates to the street level view / ambiance.

Our favorite thing in DTD is World of Disney - I suppose I could replicate the experience at Mousegear or the Main St Emporium. But there's something special about the World of Disney store.

For people who have gone recently was DTD enjoyable? Or should I skip it?

I'm also interested in knowing about Downtown Disney! We will be there in just about a month and would love to know how it's shaping up. Maybe people have pics :cool1:

As of my trip in July, I thought it was decent looking. There's a lot of work being done still, but there is a lot of new stuff that makes up for some of the ugliness. I may not be your best source for this, though, since I really don't mind the construction since it means that there's something new to look froward to!:goodvibes

We were there at the end of May. Parking wasn't an issue as we took the boat from POFQ.

Disney Springs will be better once they get a few of the new restaurants and lounges opened. The shops are easier to get started and that's most of the new items, though the Boat House is a nice addition.

I liked what they have done with the merchandise. There is a retro feel to some of it , but I liked that they have added different merchandisers. There was a great ivory Tommy Bahama's shirt in the World of Disney. I was ready to buy it until I realized I had three somewhat similar shirts that I rarely get to wear. I liked a lot of the new items in the Arriba Brothers area also.

I'm curious about the parking and traffic issues. Is it a nightmare to drive and park these days, or has the garage improved things?

Do we have an opening date for the Indiana Jones pilot bar or has that not even begun construction?

Don't quote me on it, but I believe I read it's supposed to be open by the end of the year.

We haven't been since November, but that was before Boathouse was open and construction was pretty heavy. We didn't think it was too intrusive and still had an enjoyable time there. We even went twice. We did take the bus and found traffic congestion to be heavy, possibly due to construction, but that was the only thing I remember about the experience. I say go and if it ends up being awful for you, just leave!

We were there in early June. We arrived around 10:00am and parking was not an issue at all but I could see from the road construction that arriving during a busier time would cause delays. We purposely made DTD an early thing on a non-park day and would recommend others do the same.

We are having dinner at Paradiso 37 on Monday and I recently saw a video where it looked like it was surrounded by construction walls. I know it's still open but not sure I want to eat in a construction zone. Part of the reason I booked it was because of the outdoor seating near the water. I'm wondering if I should switch to Portobello's instead.

We were there Sunday night and took the boat from SSR so can't comment on the parking.
Was a nice experience. We were not affected by the construction at all. There were walls up especially around Ragland road but was not an eye sore at all. It had zero impact on our experience .

We were there the first week of June and we parked in the garage. It was around dinner time and we had no problem finding a parking spot witching a couple of minutes. Traffic was not bad but the lanes getting to the garage were a little confusing.

I drove to Disney Springs two days ago at 4pm and the traffic wasn't as bad as it has been. Still minor delays but nothing that bothered me too much. Keep in mind this was a Tuesday and many of the local schools are now in session so I suspect that may have contributed to the somewhat lighter traffic. The parts of Disney Springs that are not behind walls, especially the former Pleasure Island area, is really coming around. Vivoli Il Gelato is really really good and really really expensive. World of Disney is largely intact but has been undergoing small internal refurbishments. Most of the new shops/restaurants are 3rd party vendors

I'll also say that the parking garage isn't as bad looking as it could have been. Not saying that there is such a thing as a beautiful parking garage but it's not bad.

Overall if you don't mind a few walls Disney Springs is in decent shape right now and if World of Disney is your main objective there then don't skip it!

Was there yesterday and was much better than I expected with all the doom and gloom I have read on here. Drove there about 1pm with no traffic, and got parked no problem. Sure there was a LOT of construction but wasn't bothered by it. Went to World of Disney which I did find disappointing, a lot less selection imo compared to when I was there last in December 2012. Went to Disney Quest for one last go and headed out at 6pm, again, no bother with traffic, even with the rain.

Looking forward to seeing it all finished :)

We were there last night and the traffic was minimal compared to the "summer time" traffic we saw for the better part of June through now here in August. The crowds were moderate but you could move around easily without bumping into people. We walked in and found seats (in the bar area) at The Boathouse, Fulton's and Rain Forrest as we went on a appetizer crawl for a bit last night. We had no issue finding a post to park, though we typically park the Buena Vista Palace and just walk across the street.

Regardless of the all the construction going on, it is still a fun time and I wouldn't avoid it if you enjoy going. There is still a lot to do and eat/drink and I do not think you would regret it by any means. The traffic, even at dinner time, etc, has really died down from earlier in the summer. In the middle of the day, it's pretty free flowing around that area as well.

I'm curious about the parking and traffic issues. Is it a nightmare to drive and park these days, or has the garage improved things?

We were at WDW in May and spent get away day at DTD. The construction was noticable obviously but I still wouldn't pass on it. As for driving and parking, driving is a bit of a pain but the new parking garage was great.

We were at WDW in May and spent get away day at DTD. The construction was noticable obviously but I still wouldn't pass on it. As for driving and parking, driving is a bit of a pain but the new parking garage was great.

Thanks for the info. I'll plan to drive there then knowing this.

I was there on 8/18 evening, 8/20 and 8/26 afternoon. Took the bus to DTD from POR on the 18th and drove on the 20th & 26th. Very crowded in the evening. The crowd def died down on the 26th. Didn't have a problem finding parking at the garage both afternoon. If you staying at the Disney resorts and driving, just be aware of the direction to the parking structure. You have to make the left turn before Cirque Soleil theater. Left turn by the parking structure was not allowed when I was there on the 26th. I had to make an U turn at the cast center.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter