• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Recent cruisers Question..WHAT??? Kid's club not open 1st night???

Status
Not open for further replies.
BibbidyBobbidyBoo said:
Personally this is awful. If kids were having a hard time that first night- then why not just allow parents IF THEY WANT TO STAY instead of forcing all parents to do so?

Because when some kids see other kids with their parents and theirs aren't there, they flip out. We see this all the time when we pick our kids up from babysitting at our gym -- the other kids start to freak.

MarcyIn Florida said:
Because when some kids see other kids with their parents and theirs aren't there, they flip out. We see this all the time when we pick our kids up from babysitting at our gym -- the other kids start to freak.

But..I believe they do allow parents to stay. That's what I don't understand. I've stayed for an activity here and there (to take pictures). It was always my understanding that parents were allowed. I've always asked first and the CM's have never hesitated to say I could attend.

So...again, why make it an open house policy for EVERYONE on the first night. If your child is upset about being there than either stay with them or don't force them to stay. I'm not even sure how this helps a kid anyway. So, instead of being upset on night 1, they're upset the next morning. A couple hours in the club with Mom isn't going to solve seperation anxiety.

Jess

I personally think it sounds like a good idea.....

I can't imagine the first night of our "family" vacation and sending my kids off to a new place.....without first making them comfortable.

I think it is sad when this is the only reason a parent would pick this cruise....I personally have no expectations of my children even going to the labs....this is family time. If they want to ....great...for them, not me.

Anyway...it sounds like they are trying to make it best for the kids...which is really great.

sandraB said:
I can't imagine the first night of our "family" vacation and sending my kids off to a new place.....without first making them comfortable.
I think it is sad when this is the only reason a parent would pick this cruise....I personally have no expectations of my children even going to the labs....this is family time. If they want to ....great...for them, not me.
Anyway...it sounds like they are trying to make it best for the kids...which is really great.

I think everyone has the right to do what they feel is right. I do chose this cruise because of the kid's club. My son looks forward to it all year long, like it's his vacation. We do plenty of family things throughout the year including other family vacations. I don't feel one bit guilty aout checking him into the kid's club on this trip.
My son isn't uncomfortable leaving us on the first night at all. It should be our decision noth theirs.

Please let's not turn this discussion into a debate about parenting. I think what is good here is that with our DIS network everyone now knows what the new system is so that you can plan accordingly. Also, remember that if there is something that really concerns you, email DCL. This change was made with a great deal of consideration because I seriously doubt that the CMs want to make anyone miserable because of it. They wont know what people think about it unless they hear from you.

Sorry if my reply came off judgemental.....

I just think one night of inconvenience is not a huge deal, we still have 6 nights left!

Hopefully the kids benefit from this new policy.

OK, you can switch your child's sign out privs for ages 8-9. You can make changes to this at any time during the cruise either way...either starting them w/o privs or starting them w/ privs & then taking them away.

sandraB said:
Sorry if my reply came off judgemental.....

I just think one night of inconvenience is not a huge deal, we still have 6 nights left!

Hopefully the kids benefit from this new policy.

Your opinion

sandraB said:

It's hard not to find that a bit judgemental? I agree with the post after yours...we spend a lot of time together as a family (we don't need to go away for that nor do we go on a cruise to ditch our kids). The lab is a big attraction for (2 of) my kids. You may very well be surprised that you have to fight with your kids to get them to come out of the lab.

For us, it has nothing to do with picking a cruise so we can get rid of the kids. The club/lab is where 2 out of my 3 kids WANT to be...esp the first night when they're psyched to get started. On the other hand, my 8 1/2 yr old son thinks the lab is so-so. I pretty much don't care if he goes in or not. I've already told him that for our upcoming 4-day, the only time he "has" to go to the labs are for our Palo brunch, 1 1/2 hrs so we can go to Senior Frogs for a quick drink (and we may even offer to bring him) and probably an hour or 2 after dinner a few times so we can take in a couple adult show. Other than that, he can hang with us as much as he wants to. He's fine with that. The girl's will not LEAVE the club w/o a fight.

Jess

We have been on 3 Disney cruise and certainly do not need to "explore" the kids area with our girls. For us it is a mute point as they will have sign out privileges, but I can see how it will be a problem for some parents. Does not seem like the best idea.....

sandraB said:

Sandra,
I understand why a first time cruiser may feel this way. But it is not a "new place" for repeat kid's clubbers. They are excited and want to get started. I have three children who are all in different spots and are too young for sign out privledges. That means my first night will not be as enjoyable as last time. It will be spent hanging out unneccessarily in the clubs till I can pull the kids out against their wills.
I strongly feel this should be the parents choice as in the past whether or not to stay with their children. After all it is only a child's parent that knows them best!!

Kelli

We've already registered our chld on-line; so we all we have to do is get a pager, wristband etc. - last March, we did this in the terminal before we even boarded! Is this not happening anymore? We planned on going to Palo on Saturday night - this is our daughter's 3rd Disney cruise - and on the first cruise when I went to the club the first night (she was 4) to get her for dinner - her question was "why are you here?" - needless to say she did not want to go to dinner which was fine with us - so I am not the least bit concerned she'll want us around...quite the contrary...and I think it unfair to "punish" her as it were by not having some opening night activities - at least a movie at the end or something. (And I've not noticed alot of tears and separation anxiety problems myself).

As I read the navigator - I don't see that it says "parents must stay" - it says "bring your parents" - so I will plan that I can leave her in the club if she wants to stay there and if she is bored or unhappy she will page us or she can bring us if she wants. I can't imagine that even with the "open door" that there wouldn't be the normal security required - if you've already gone to the trouble to get a wristband and a password - so can hardly see how someone else could take a child not their own.

No,you will not be able to leave your child in the club on the first night anymore!! I had forgotten about the people who unknowingly make their Palo ressies for that night. We are repeat cruisers too and it makes NO sense!! It is listed in the current children's navigators as "open house" time with parents.

Yes you can still get the pager & wristband in the terminal. However, you wont be able to leave her in the club unless she is 8 or older & has sign out privs though. Someone else who posted earlier was told the exact same thing when they tried to do that. I have confirmed this with a very reliable source. I would switch my Palo resie to another night.

Well, there will be unhappy cruisers the first night is all I can say. Especially our daughter.

fcrouch said:
We've already registered our chld on-line; so we all we have to do is get a pager, wristband etc. - last March, we did this in the terminal before we even boarded! Is this not happening anymore? We planned on going to Palo on Saturday night - this is our daughter's 3rd Disney cruise - and on the first cruise when I went to the club the first night (she was 4) to get her for dinner - her question was "why are you here?" - needless to say she did not want to go to dinner which was fine with us - so I am not the least bit concerned she'll want us around...quite the contrary...and I think it unfair to "punish" her as it were by not having some opening night activities - at least a movie at the end or something. (And I've not noticed alot of tears and separation anxiety problems myself).

As I read the navigator - I don't see that it says "parents must stay" - it says "bring your parents" - so I will plan that I can leave her in the club if she wants to stay there and if she is bored or unhappy she will page us or she can bring us if she wants. I can't imagine that even with the "open door" that there wouldn't be the normal security required - if you've already gone to the trouble to get a wristband and a password - so can hardly see how someone else could take a child not their own.

Yes, all the parents who want to go to Palo on the first night are pretty much screwed. Wonder why Disney didn't think of that?

jodifla said:
Yes, all the parents who want to go to Palo on the first night are pretty much screwed. Wonder why Disney didn't think of that?

and why werent people sailing these dates notified? That stinks. Of course, this isn't surprising, when has Disney EVER asked what we thought before they did it? (ie best rate)

So as I understand it, there is NO TRUE CLUB time on the first night?

I am cruising in August and I think my kids will be fine. (I have an 11 and 8 year old) -- The 8 year old will be turning 9 the week of the cruise.

So I could give sign in /out privilidges to my 8 year old, and my 11 year old. However, the 11 year can not pick up the 8 year old right? Will I still get a pager/wristband and such for the 8 year old?

Lastly, does the 10-12, and 8-9 group meet in the same area? That way if the 11 year old signs out the 8 year old can get up as well?

I'm not crazy about giving up a night so I can sit in a kids club with my kids. They don't have separation anxiety and will likely tell me that I need to go NOW! (Especially the 11 year old!)

It would make sense to keep that restriction for the younger set, but not the older kids!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter