• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Recent Coral Reef experiences?

deebee29

Mouseketeer
The Coral Reef was one of our favourites in 2008, but it seems I am reading a lot of bad reviews lately? I've heard the chocolate wave isn't very good anymore either. Any recent reviews? popcorn::

Hi,
We ate there for dinner on May 1st. The service was good, and so was the dessert (Baileys and Jack Daniels mousse) but my main course (swordfish, I think) was waaaaay too salty, so it was not a very good dish at all. Maybe it was an off night, or just an off dish, but I'm not sure if I would go back.

We have a ressie here for our second night, I want to try it, just once. Mostly for the experience. Hopefully it's not too bad!!

My family ate dinner at Coral Reef and enjoyed our experience. The food was surprisingly goo d, particularly the salmon and mahi mahi entrees. I have never loved the Chocolate Wave. I don't know if it used to be better or different, but I don't order it anymore.

We were there in January, the food was great but the service was awful. We were in there for almost 2 hours, which can be very challenging with a 2 year old. DD loves to see the fish but I think we will wait to go back until she gets older and can sit for longer periods of time.
We were there in April of 2009 and had the same issue with the service being very slow, perhaps try to get an ADR at an "off" time and not a peak meal time.

Hi,
We ate there for dinner on May 1st. The service was good, and so was the dessert (Baileys and Jack Daniels mousse) but my main course (swordfish, I think) was waaaaay too salty, so it was not a very good dish at all. Maybe it was an off night, or just an off dish, but I'm not sure if I would go back.

Same here! Ate here May 1st for dinner for the first time. Was excited but disappointed! Won't be back. My food had way too much pepper and the steaks were just "okay." It wasn't good. My DH had the mousse as well and loved it. I had the almond flavored ice cream dish which was okay.

We had lunch at Coral Reef yesterday & really enjoyed it. The lobster ravioli, mouse, creme brulee, and bread were awesome. DH liked his mahi-mahi too, but he did say that the shrimp were a little overcooked.

We haven't been since 2007 but that is only because we decided that we wanted to start trying some of the restaurants in WS. However we are returning in September because both DH and I thought that since we haven't been in a while, it would be a nice change of pace...plus my kids love the fish tank and have wanting to go back. The chocolate wave was good the last time we were there, but I don't usually get the molten lava cakes in Disney because there are so many places around my house that serve that. Soooo, I think I want to try that Bailey's mousse dessert...it looks amazing :goodvibes.

We (me and my two DDs) had a good experience and meal dining there for our first time in late February, but didn't order the Chocolate Wave for dessert so I can't comment on that. Service wasn't noticeably slow and we didn't wait for our table more than a few minutes after checking in for our lunchtime ADR around noon. The tilapia and creme brulee were delish! We're hoping to have another good meal there during our upcoming trip next month when DH will be along with us. He plans to order the NY strip steak (its presence on the menu won him over to booking a meal there as he's not a fish or seafood fan, lol). I'll have to try out the Chocolate Wave there next time, too.

We were there in April, about a month ago and is was as good as it always is for us. Great service and very good food. I had the strip steak and my husband and daughter had fish. I had the Wave for dessert and it was the same as always. Everyone is going to give different opinions and this is how it should be. Everyone can't like all restaurants or we'd never be able to get a reservation. Just made our ressies for August (gotta love free dining yeppee!!!!!) and we are going there again.

Enjoy The Magic!!

I ate there at 5:40pm on May 3rd. First, they had my reservation for the wrong day. I know it was them because the BC club level printed my itinerary and the ressie was on the 3rd like I told them. They admitted they were having computer problems and were able to fit us in. Our server was less than friendly and non-existent. We never got refills on our drinks. The only thing she was quick about was picking up the check. I found the restaurant to be extremely loud. For some reason, parents think it's okay to let their children wander all over the restaurant so they could get a good view of the fish tank. Not acceptable at all, IMHO. The food was good, not great but good. My DD7 was thrilled she could have the lobster soup as an appetizer. She liked it but I found it extremely salty. I had the pan-seared seasonal catch with mushroom risotto. The risotto was perfect. The season catch was not very memorable. I can't even remember what it was. I got the mousse for dessert. Again, it was good. I was glad I was on the dining plan because if I had paid cash I would have been very disappointed. I actually wanted to talk to the manager to get a reduction in the 18% tip (since we were a party of 8) I was so disappointed and I customarily tip 20%. Sadly, the manager was taking too long to get to our table and the children could wait no longer. Maybe you will have better luck.

We ate there for dinner (4:30p) on our last trip in November 2009. I think I had the ceasar salad, grilled chicken breast (not a seafood person) and the creme brulee, which was amazing! The service was good and we had a great view of the tanks while SCUBA divers were in their lessons.

DBF definitely had the chocolate wave and I heard no complaints from him. I think he would have ate it off the kitchen floor to be quite honest.

We ate there May 8th and it was great. Service was top notch! I had the chicken and it was one of the best meals I had down there. My wife got the swordfish and said it was salty, but the two other adults with us got the salmon and said it was great! Our kids went to town on a nice sized pizza and some chicken nuggets

We were there on May 2nd. Definitely enjoyed it. Got right in after checking in, good service, etc. Our food was really good - I had mahi mahi that had rock shrimp on top and DH had some sort of salmon dish, I can't remember what it was called.

I had the Wave and thought it was GREAT. I guess I have nothing to compare it to because it was our first experience but it was very chocolaty.

I think you really have to not read into these negative reviews. ANY restaurant you go to is going to get negative reviews. You have to experience it for yourself and make your own decision. I think people go there wanting everything to be perfect, which sets them up for disappointment and very high standards. And also, like any other restaurant you might have locally - you might go someplace more than one occasion, one time it might be really great the next time not so great.....you figure, eh, they had an off nite maybe we won't go back for a while. But at WDW it feels like there's SO much riding on your ADR'S!! :)

I have to agree with an earlier poster, some of the dishes we ordered were way too salty. This was for a lunch earlier this month, and we all ordered seafood dishes. Service was definitely good.

We ate their for our honeymoon in January and had a wonderful experience. We LOVE the Coral Reef and go on every trip. I can't wait to go back:lmao:

I ate there on April 28th at 7pm. The creamy lobster soup was fabulous. My companion's mahi mahi dish was ok. I ordered the seasonal catch (which was sole) and it was really quite bad. The fish was very tough. We did not have dessert.

The service was poor. The waiter was extremely busy and it took a really long time to get our food and our check. Our drinks did not get refilled.

It was neat to eat by the aquarium but I don't think I will return. It was just too expensive for the lackluster food and poor service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter