rec. a good infant carrier?

surfergirl602

<font color=deeppink>Well you're one step ahead of
We are looking for a baby carrier to bring with us on our next trip to switch between the stroller and the carrier where we cannot bring the stroller. Does anyone have a really comfortable infant/baby backpack type carrier?

We've actually never had the chance to use one with all three of our kids, and our next trip we will have a five month old. Any suggestions would be wonderful.

Thank you!!:love:

We went on a big family trip last January that included my sister and her husband and their four month old baby. He spent pretty much the entire trip in an Ergo baby carrier. He was a BIG baby for his age, but my sister wore him pretty much day and night with no strain on her back and shoulders and he was soooo happy in there. It was great! They also took a stroller, but only ended up using it ONCE the whole trip because the carrier was so great.

Here are some pics of Baby Sam enjoying his trip:

3301315640_2ea49b51f0.jpg

3300590601_4b0e8a137e.jpg

I'm including this next one just because my sister hates it. That's Sam's head sticking up there in the middle... :rotfl::rotfl: As you can see, having him in the carrier did NOT impede her snacking ability.
3301440392_f76bfc30f1.jpg

This is what he looked like OUT of the carrier, so you can see he was NOT some tiny little thing!
3301328012_e6838bb5f6.jpg

I suggest the Beco Butterfly 2, it's my absolute favorite. The Ergo is nice too, but the back isn't as deep as the Beco.

I would avoid the carriers like the Snuggly and the Baby Bjorn, they're bad for the baby's back and hips, and for yours.

I use a Catbird Baby carrier- pikkolo model. Like a Mai ti but w/ the buckle vs the ties. I can wear ds 2 on the front,hip and back. I have been using it since he was 6 months old. I love it soo much more than the baby bjorn. It comes with a sleeping hood too. We have used it for 2 wdw trips already. I purchased the support belt too.

there is a web site that has a great comparison chart on all the different brands- go to the portable baby.com -- the chart is very useful.

I orginally planned on purchasing an ergo but the straps didn't sit on my shoulders properly. I found the Pikolo was a better fit for my body. Definitely try to find a store where u can try the different brands on too.

HTH

I agree with Beco or Ergo. I've got both and debating which to bring on our trip. Avoid the Bjorn and Snuggli like the plague though - bad for baby and you'll be very uncomfortable before long. Another option is a Mei Tai like Babyhawk.

another vote for the Beco Butterfly II also! I still carry my 15 month old around in it and we both love it! We also use a ring sling but that is more for quick in and out trips. Really though the best thing to do is find somewhere you can try several different types of carriers, what works for me might not work for you. Also you will get a 100 different opions! A nice web site is Thebabywearer.com, lots of great info on all types of carriers.

Thank you all for the awesome replies! I should add that I need something that both myself and my hubby can wear, and he's tall. He usually does most of the carrying.

Keep em coming! I'm glad to know of what has worked, and especially what hasn't! :)

I love the Ergo, especially because when the baby's not in it you can easily just sling it on your back and forget about it. Now she insists on facing out though (she's 16 months) so I use the Trekker, which is also quite comfortable but more difficult to carry around when you take the kid out. My husband likes to wear both these carriers too.

Our Baby Bjorn got thumbs up for 2 trips. We used it when our son was 11 mos old and then again when he was 20 months old. It was great because baby can ride forwards and backards and its easy to swtich parents without actually taking the baby out of the carrier.

another vote for Cat bird Baby carriers! They work on the front, back or hip, and work great for newborns on up to toddlers.

Our dd was so colic-y and we would have been lost without our Catbird carrier! We had the original Mei Tai carrier, but the pikkolo looks fantastic. And she has patterns that your husband won't mind wearing either.

www.catbirdbaby.com

:thumbsup2 love my Ergo best thing I brought for Disney, I have a terrible back and with this carrier I didnt feel a thing and hubby loved it as well.

I'm on the hunt for a good carrier too! I have the Ergo, but for some reason my shoulder is hurting when I wear it. I don't think it is fitting my shoulders right. I thought about a ring sling - anyone prefer those?

Quick question: I was searching amazon for the umteeth time :) and I see that there are many different types of styles of ergos, etc. Is there a certain style that I should be focusing on? Also, I see there are inserts... any use to these?

My favorite baby carrier is the toddler patapum. Like the Ergo, but cheaper. I can still fit my 4 1/2 yr old on my back (not that I do it on a daily bases...just to make her laugh!) My 1 yr old loves it and it is a must for all Disney Trips for the lines.

I love ring slings - like the Maya Wrap. I used one the first time with a baby at 2 months old. It was hot and I carried her 8+ hours but the sling wasn't too bad heat-wise. Definately do unpadded!

The next trip had the same baby and sling but she was 9 months and it was cooler. Again, carrying her for 8+ hours a day was easy! She was about 18 lbs.

The next trip is a week away. I'll be carrying a 24 lb 11 month old in the same sling. Since I managed to carry my first son up until 33lbs, I'll be okay! (I'm barely 100 lbs myself).

Here's a couple great extra's with a ring sling:
*You can drape it over the stroller to block out the sights if baby naps in the stroller
*It can make nursing more discreet if you wish
*You can use it as a seat belt if you put baby in a regular chair - for a baby that can sit with support, which is usually around the 4-6 month range if I remember correctly.
*It can be made into a toddler harness for an older child quite easily
*It can be used as a blanket for a child in the stroller

I've brought down two different ones. When my oldest was nine months, and then again when my middle was five months old, I used my Maya Wrap (sling). When the younger one was a little older, I used my Babyhawk (mei tei).

Benefits to the sling:

He could face out better, yet when he was sleepy he could tuck into it nicely. It is lighter weight fabric (and that's why I'm defnitely taking it again in June).

Cons to the sling:

At that age, I felt like it was really stable, but always had a hand on him just in case. My back did start to hurt in less time than with the mei tei.

Benefits to the mei tei:

Easier to use, IMO. Best for when the baby is calm, ready to nap, or already sleeping. Felt like my hands were both free with this one...it's really stable.

Cons to the mei tei:

If it's warm out, make sure you have a tank top on. You will get hot in it faster as the fabrics tend to be heavier.

I also have a Moby, which I really like. I'm still learning how to use it. It's not likely that I will bring it to WDW, but if I do it will be in place of the sling as it is more similar to that.

My plan is sling in the morning and early afternoon when he's active and it's really hot. And then we we go back to the hotel for a break, I will switch to the mei tei for his sleepier evening time.

www.babyhawk.com
www.mayawrap.com (I think...:confused:)

Good luck with the little one!

Thank you all for the awesome replies! I should add that I need something that both myself and my hubby can wear, and he's tall. He usually does most of the carrying.

Keep em coming! I'm glad to know of what has worked, and especially what hasn't! :)

Just saw this...was too excited to talk about baby carriers before and didn't read through the thread. :rotfl:

Of the three I mentioned, your husband would probably be happiest with the mei tei. It's the most "manly" looking, and really works with any height pretty well.

The babyhawk that I have lets you pick your fabrics, and you can make it double sided so that there are different prints to choose from, which is kind of fun for you and dh. I think you can also add more length for the taller folks. I'm 5'10", and I think I did that. Although, it was four years ago, so I just can't remember. They make them better now than they did then, too...just more user friendly...even though I never really had an issue before.

By the way...I don't work for babyhawk. Just thought I should put it out there because I'm raving so much about it. :)

Send a PM with your address, I was cleaning out my garage and have two and will send them. All I ask is pass along the kindness.

One is a an evenflo Snugli, it is like the front back pack where the kid hangs front ward or back wards, dual adjustable shoulder straps. Then there is a playtex Hip Hammock(never used by me) If you would like I will send these two.

I also have an use a kelty kids back pack, the summit. it cost me about $200. I have hiked mt rainer, yellowstone, disney and even trouted fished with my oldest when she was 3, while she was singing twinkle twinkle. The other guys didn't care much for the song, but it was great to see thier faces when she would yell, daddy you got another one, why aren't those people catching fish? It's your singing princess!!!!

THe kelty backpack by far is the best one. I bought mine from REI has gone through 3 kids and still functions great.

We are looking for a baby carrier to bring with us on our next trip to switch between the stroller and the carrier where we cannot bring the stroller. Does anyone have a really comfortable infant/baby backpack type carrier?

We've actually never had the chance to use one with all three of our kids, and our next trip we will have a five month old. Any suggestions would be wonderful.

Thank you!!:love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter