Really Stuck!!!

Emma1

Mouseketeer
We are having a hard time deciding to stay on site or off site. We have a reservation at Pop Century, but have read through reviews some good, and some bad and are unsure of staying there. We have two joining rooms with DH, three DD, and DS. This is our first Disneyworld trip. We really like WH, but wonder in the end how much we will really save after renting a vehicle, groceries, etc. We are going for seven in early December. days and are concerned about not having enough time staying off site, but like the idea of having more room and a chance to relax. We have a great package if we stay on site. How does a hotel upgrade work? If you have a package, do you sometimes get an upgrade? Does anyone know if there is a condo avl., for $399.00 or close to that, offering any dates other then Sat. to Sat.?:worship:

Sorry for all the questions. It is such a tough decision.

If this is your first time going I would say stay onsite. Being onsite means you get to factor in extra magic hours into your touring plans. You can't see everything your first trip but the additional EMH hours make it possible to see more especially if you are going in early December when park hours may be shorter than normal.

I'm a fan of staying off site if you plan on seeing more than Disney and onsite if Disney is the only thing in your plans.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be renting a private pool home. We have 2 kids and love the space, privacy, full kitchen, washer/dryer. I like that dh and I have our own bedroom and bathroom. I also like having a full size fridge and a real coffeemaker so I can have freshly-brewed coffee with real milk in my pj's while the kids are still sleeping. :cloud9: I'm a big coffee addict so to me, having to get dressed and trek out to some food court to get some nasty old Nescafe is not magical. :headache:
Our kids like having a tv in their room so they can relax and watch some cartoons, Animal Planet, etc. after visiting the parks.

Also the kids can take a quick swim in the morning while dh and I get ready to go to the parks or at night after parks. There's no walk to the pool; it's right next to the kitchen!:cloud9:
We don't cook on vacation but still like to have a full kitchen for a quick breakfast in the am. Cereal, oatmeal, bagels, etc. again, in our jammies if we like. We also like to bring a collapsible cooler and freeze bottled water/box juice to bring to parks and have cold drinks all day for much cheaper than WDW charges. Popsicles and microwave popcorn is easy with a reg. kitchen.

Lastly, I like having a washer/dryer. We can pack like 2-3 outfits pp so not tons of luggage. I toss it in while we're in the pool then in the dryer before going to bed. No coin operated laundry and worrying about getting back by a certain time.

OTOH, I usually recommend staying onsite for 1st timers. It's nice to have WDW transportation to take you to/from parks and ME from the airport and not have to rent a car.
A lot of people feel like they want to be immersed in the Disney experience 24/7 and don't want to know any other parts of FL. Just ask this same question on the Disney resorts board and you will get very different answers from the the Orlando board.
I think it's good to try both on and off site so people can see both ways and what works best for their family.
HTH! :goodvibes

If you haven't already looked, I'd try www.windsorhillsrent.com and www.vrbo.com and www.homeaway.com to look for your condo. I would always vote for more space on any trip with four children, and wonder if the prices at the Fort Wilderness Cabins or the All Stars Family Suites would work for you. There is an advantage to staying on site for a first trip, to get the lay of the land. I generally do not recommend attending EMH hours -- it's too crowded and you can accomplish more at a non-EMH park but make sure you get there at rope drop.

We are renting at WH this year for the first time. We have only stayed onsite once. And that was with 2 1/2 kids. We now have 4 kids. 9,6,2 and 10 months.
For the price we are paying for a 3 bedroom 2 bath condo you can't beat it. Plus I don't have to pack as much with the washer and dryer.

We plan on spending every moment we can at a park. You just have to plan.

sarah

I generally do not recommend attending EMH hours -- it's too crowded and you can accomplish more at a non-EMH park but make sure you get there at rope drop.

I think the morning EMH can be a great benefit for those who are allowed in early. Mornings are generally slower anyhow. If you are a morning persion (we are not) then go for the morning EMH. The only time it is busier is when the non eligable EMH guests start arriving along with the non morning people. Afternoons are probably busier for the EMH parks, you can take that time to go back to the resort to relax.
One can get a lot of attractions in during the mornings of EMH before the park starts to fill up.

We usually stay a week on and a week off. But, if it was my first visit, I'd stay on site.
If you really want a little more space have you considered Bonnet Creek? We haven't stayed there but plan to next visit. It's not Disney owned but is very close to Port Orleans. Not sure how good their bus service is. This site has some owners who rent their units out http://www.myresortnetwork.com/Cond...field-Orlando-at-Bonnet-Creek&SORT=start_date

Since this is your first trip I would stay onsite. That being said we booked VRBO.COM 3br/3ba town home and got a better rate than the value resorts.

My trips are usually in Peak season. During that time, the cost of a windsor hills condo, rental car, gas, and parking run about the same as a Moderate resort after the AAA discount. Our eating habits onsite and off are very similar---breakfast in the room, lunch and most dinners in the parks. So, that's a wash.

That said, for a first trip, the small additional cost of two Value rooms are probably fair value. I'd stick with what you have unless you really want the full kitchen or in-unit washer/dryer---for a week, you can probably live without either.

:dance3: Thank you everyone for your response to my post. I think we have made a decision. I do have one other question. We are thinking about booking off site. We have found a place at WH, but are a little concerned because of the lanai. Just wondering how safe it would be with young children. It is screened in.:dance3:

Thank you for your help.

Emma1

:dance3: Thank you everyone for your response to my post. I think we have made a decision. I do have one other question. We are thinking about booking off site. We have found a place at WH, but are a little concerned because of the lanai. Just wondering how safe it would be with young children. It is screened in.:dance3:

Thank you for your help.

Emma1

A lanai is just a screened in porch, I don't think that constitutes a danger to your small children. Does it have a splash pool too?

Most of the single homes have pools but I think it's a state law that doors leading out there have an alarm. If it really worries you, get a condo.

Also you can save on buying groceries by bringing very small things with you that really don't take up more space in luggage. I bring kitchen trash bags from home and stuff them in a pair of shoes. Same with dishwasher detergent tabs and microwave popcorn. I don't like to buy a big package of something then at the end of the week either have to throw it away or try to bring it home. I also collect a few extra sugar packets when I can so that we don't have to buy a big box of sugar for the 10 or so cups of coffee I'll have.

Only buy at the grocery store there what you know for sure you'll use. On our first trip with a pool home we bought steaks to grill and hamburgers too. The grill was such a PITA and we never did use the ground beef and decided from then on to just cook for breakfast. My sil was very diligent and on a budget so she bought stuff to pack lunches to bring to parks. To me, that's where I draw the line. I get up at 5:30am to pack lunches for me and kids for work/school so I sure don't want to that on vac.
See what works for you and your family. Every time is a learning experience. :thumbsup2

Normally I would say stay on site for all the extra perks... especially for first visit. However, I am not a fan of POP and the rooms are small. If this is your only option, stay off site. The magic of POP was lost on me. Personally I think if you are going to shell out the $$ to stay on site, the extra cash for a moderate is worth it. We actually got a great rate for GF and are staying there off peak for what we paid at POP during peak time.

What about renting points through the DVC. You get the best of both worlds, more space and a lower price. We have done this once (for our last trip) and it worked out great. The Sun-Thursday night rentals are great. Friday and Saturday night are more expensive. A lot of people end up staying at an all-star resort those nights and doing the DVC the other nights.

Emma1, your decision to stay with your large family at WH offsite is a very good one. :thumbsup2 In early December, the parks are not open that late. So you'll likely spend long, busy days at the parks and appreciate relaxing in your spacious condo or pool home in the evenings. ::yes:: Whatever you'll spend on convenience groceries will be less than the costs of paying onsite prices for ALL of your meals - especially for a family of 6. With any savings on the lodging, your budget may be less tight when it comes to a character meal or two, maybe an evening of child care for a romantic dinner with your DH.

As for the lanai, just check the alarm on the door on arrival to see that it's working properly and that everyone knows and tries out how it works. You know your own family. If this will still be an issue, choose a non-pool home or condo and just use the main resort pool amenities. The cost is a bit cheaper without a pool heat surcharge. Have a fun trip!!!

We love Pop Century, actually this year my kids and hubby are disappointed I rented points instead of staying at Pop..

We stayed in a condo at WH last year with 4 yo twins and did not have any problem with the kids being on the lanai.

In the WH condos all of the lanais(or balconies) are screened in with a fairly tough mesh material. Our kids liked to sit on the balcony and watch the pool area(with our supervision)and we felt safer knowing it was screened it. HTH

edited to say..I shouldn't have said " all the condos" I know that most of them do, but obviously I cannot be sure that they all do..someone that owns at WH might know though

We stayed at Pop just a month or so ago and was surprised at how much we liked it. We even have res in around a month to stay there again. And we stay from deluxes to values.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter