Really sad, just got back today (BWV). Wish we could stay longer.

Tom&Susan

Earning My Ears
Checked in early on Friday, June 27 at BWV in a one-bedroom after a one night stay at Double Tree Guest Suites. We (daughters 3 and 8, my husband and me) were very happy that we got a room so early (10:30 AM) with a good view (5093). We were pleasantly surprised with a preferred view since we had only requested non-smoking and possibly an upper level room. Unfortunately, when we opened the door to the room, it smelled of cigarette smoke. We went to registration to mention the smell (we didn't want them to think we were the ones smoking) and they just said they would send up an ozone machine to try to make it better. The front desk reiterated that the floor was non-smoking. Since we have seen posts about dumpster views, we didn't want to gripe too much about the smell and be moved to a room that had a really bad view and we also didn't want to appear inappreciative since we were provided with a room so early in the day. Even with the ozone machine, my husband's allergies did not do well in the room for our stay.
We did attend the DVC member celebration and bbq on July 1 but it rained. Met a few members but didn't come across any DISers. All in all it was a great trip and hated to leave. Our last night was spent on "Breathless" at Illuminations for the 4th of July and it was wonderful. Once we get settled, we will post restaurant reviews on the other board.
Also, when we finally made it to the pool (Luna on July 4th) we were asked for guest passes and they did hand stamps.

Thanks for the quick report.

I'm sorry you didn't insist on a room that had been cleared of the smoking remnants. And I really hate to think it was because you were afraid of getting a "dumpster view" or some such thing. Your husband is quite the trooper to put up with the smoke allergy to preserve your view!

Sounds like the rest of your trip was pretty good. Glad to hear it, and that you enjoyed your trip despite the room mishap.

Originally posted by Granny
Thanks for the quick report.

I'm sorry you didn't insist on a room that had been cleared of the smoking remnants. And I really hate to think it was because you were afraid of getting a "dumpster view" or some such thing. Your husband is quite the trooper to put up with the smoke allergy to preserve your view!

Sounds like the rest of your trip was pretty good. Glad to hear it, and that you enjoyed your trip despite the room mishap.

I have to agree. I can't breathe with the smell of smoke around, so Disney's cavalier attitude would have driven me crazy. They should have taken you more seriosly and provided a clean non- smoking room as stipulated in your reservation. When we were in DLP they also gave us a "non-smoking" room that reeked of smoke. The French all smoke so this was inevitable we thought. They could open the windows in the Newport Bay hotel and that made all the difference. In our country windows can't be opened making smoke sit in the furniture and carpets and bedding. Pretty awful for those with allergies.

Glad you had a good time in spite of the smoky room. On our first BWV visit we were thrilled when we were told our room wasn't ready but another was. So we took it. As soon as we entered the room the smell of stale smoke overwelmed us. My DH saw the look of disappointment on my face and so did the bellman. After a brief discussion we decided to wait for our original room. The bellman called down to the front desk and told them we were changing rooms and would wait for our original room. No problem we went off to lunch and returned later to a great room, sans smoke!
I don't understand why all smoking optional room are not ionized or whatever they call it after each use. It would cut down on the number of complaints and free up more rooms. JMHO

Two years ago I stayed at CSR with 3 friends. We requested non-smoking and connecting rooms. We were thrilled that connecting rooms were available at 8:30am. Got to the rooms - surprise, they were smoking! We made the mistake of just requesting an ionizer, thinking that would clear it out. After our 4 night stay and running it non-stop the room still smelled. Everything we brought home smelled. Big mistake.

Sorry you were put in the position of having to decide between a room that didn't smell like smoke and a good view.

Sounds like you managed to have a wonderful time.

:D

Sounds like a great way to spend the 4th!
I will look forward to your restaurant reviews.
How much did the member BBQ cost?
Thanks for posting.:D

Yikes! Is there a dumpster-view room at the Boardwalk too? I'll have a new thing to obsess about!

I hate a bad view but I hate smoke worse... God bless your hubby!

We had a similar problem a couple of years ago at the Boardwalk. I simply refused to take the room as we had booked 11 months out. The management did find us a non-smoked in room. Since then I have learned to request a non-smoking room but also add "for medical reasons". Allergies, headaches, etc. are certainly medical reasons.
I was told this by member services after I inquired what would prevent the problem from happening again. We have not had one problem since. Hope this might help for your next trip home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter