• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Really Right Stuff---I need help!

annnewjerz

If I had a world of my own, everything would be no
Alright everyone---I know Christmas isn't even over yet, but I got a little bit o cash for Christmas and would really like to get a Really Right Stuff ballhead.

While shooting in WDW a few weeks ago, I noticed that my cheap ballhead was already getting loose and when I mounted the 80-200 f/2.8 it didn't seem all that steady, so I'd like something better.

That being said, I am LOST. The last ballhead I bought came with my tripod, so I don't even know what I would need.

I've decided on the mid-sized BH-40 ballhead, but can't figure out what clamp, if I need to buy a QR plate or anything additional to make it functional.

If any of you that own RRS ballheads could put together a little package and tell me why I need each item, I would really appreciate it. With as expensive as this stuff is, I'd really hate to buy anything I didn't really need.

Edited to add: Also---will a RRS ballhead mount on any tripod legs, or do I need a compatible pair? I know nothing.

I'd call RRS and talk to them. I had question about pano gear and they were very patient and helpful.

I've never heard of RRS, but I can tell you that with the high end stuff like Manfrotto the heads must be used with manfrotto legs.

I'd call RRS and talk to them. I had question about pano gear and they were very patient and helpful.

I didn't even think about calling to speak to someone, since usually customer service reps I trust about as far as I can throw them. I'll have to do that this weekend.

I've never heard of RRS, but I can tell you that with the high end stuff like Manfrotto the heads must be used with manfrotto legs.

IIRC, Really Right Stuff just put out their first set of tripod legs and in the past Gitzo always sold legs on their site. While I'm not sure if a RRS head will match up with the brand of legs I have, I'm fairly certain they can be used on a variety of legs.

RRS is Really Right Stuff. They make extremely good and extremely expensive tripod gear.

Almost all mid-range or higher tripods allow you to attach heads via a 3/8" (or sometimes 1/4") screw. Manfrotto, Bogen, Gitzo, RRS, Slik, etc all work pretty much the same way and all can use heads made by each other or other companies like Acratech or Arca Swiss. The vast majority of mid-range or higher tripod heads use clamps designed to grip quick release plates often called "Arca Swiss" plates. I keep wondering how long it will be before camera makers start molding the plates directly into their camera bodies.

If you are looking at tripod gear, I would strongly recommend that you make sure that your tripod has a 3/8"-16 or 1/4"-20 screw. Make sure that your head (probably a ball head for most photography styles) has a clamp that takes Arca Swiss style plates. Buy a plate designed specifically for your camera for the best fit. Consider an L-bracket so that you can easily switch orientations. If you think you might ever use a R-Strap, look for a plate that is threaded for attaching a 1/4"-20 screw. If you have any lenses with tripod collars, you'll also want a plate for them.

Really Right Stuff (RRS) produces very very high quality ball heads.

I think the BH-40 ballhead would be a good fit for you, considering the lenses you've got.

For clamps, at the minimum, you'll need the B2-40 LR clamp. I like it because it's a quick, lever-release clamp (your other option is the screw-knob style clamp). If you like having a bubble level thingy, you can consider the B2 AS II clamp.

You'll also need quick-release plates for your camera body. I'd highly recommend an L-plate for your camera (not the conventional plate that only covers the bottom of your camera). Each L-plate made by RRS is made specifically for your camera model. There's a HUGE advantage of an L-plate vs a conventional plate. Let's say your camera's on the tripod in a standard landscape / horizontal orientation. If you want to quickly switch to a portrait / vertical orientation, you can unclamp your camera, and then clamp it back on in the portrait orientation very quickly.

Here's a Web page from RRS regarding L-plates: http://reallyrightstuff.com/QR/05.html

Finally, if you've got a lens that came with a lens collar (ex. the 70-200mm lens or larger), then you should also get a quick-release plate for your lens collar as well (a "telephoto lens mount"). That way, your huge lens can also be used (and well-balanced) on your quick-release system. Here's the RRS Web page for telephoto lens mounts: http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/items.asp?Cc=LENS&iTpStatus=0&Tp=&Bc=

Really Right Stuff makes very very high quality ballheads. Their reps at RRS are well-known to be very helpful, as well, so don't be afraid to give them a call. Be prepared to save up a lot of money for all this. It's well worth it. :thumbsup2

ps. Yes, these ballheads are pretty universal in terms of which tripod legs they attach to. You can use any tripod legs you'd like, as MarkBarbieri mentioned above.

Hope that helps! Let us know what you end up getting! Merry Christmas! :)

Yeah, what Mark & DB2003 wrote. I have a BH-25 with lever quick release and it is ok with my 70-200 f/4 but anything larger should use a BH-40. L-plates are just great and well worth the $$$. I also have a RRS tripod plate that fits the tripod collar for my long lens.

Most tripods have removable heads and inexpensive/small tripods usually have a 1/4"-20 screw, most larger/more $$$ tripods have a 3/8"-16 screw. There are adapters to go from 1/4 to 3/8. I take the ballhead off when traveling if I have to put the tripod in checked luggage, at least they can only lose half of it! ;)

I concur with what Bob and the others have said. I have the L plate for my D300. I leave it on all the time. I have the small RRS head that I use on my travel Benro tripod. It has a quick release clamp on it. I also have a quick release clamp on my Arca Swiss head that is on my full size tripod! RRS is not cheap but I feel it is very worth it! My small head will easily hold my 70-200.

You will not be sorry that you did!

One thing I just wanted to emphasize again is that the L-plates from Really Right Stuff are molded specifically to your camera model's body. That means that the L-plate will fit very snugly onto your camera! Because of this, you don't run any risk of the camera or the L-plate wiggling around while attached to each other. A huge plus!

The downside to this, however, is that if/when you decide to buy a newer-model camera body, you'll have to buy a brand new L-plate for the new camera. For example, the L-plate for the Canon 40D will not fit on the Canon 50D, so you'd have to spend another $140 for a separate L-plate for the 50D.

Are you looking into getting a new set of tripod legs? Carbon fiber is all the rage these days. :) (and more $$$, too)

I was in your shoes about 5 months ago, learning and learning and reading all I could about tripods & ballheads. The RRS Web site can be a little tough to navigate, so take your time to go through & find the great information they offer.

Good luck! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter