Really nervous for our March visit-

DnA2010

Rope Drop!
Hi All,

Myself, DH30, DS30, DSH32, and DM60 (active) and I are making our first treck out to Orlando from March 18-25- we are planning to do 2 days in US/IOA with all of us very keen on seeing the Harry Potter section-

I am scared for the crowds..should I be? there is no fast pass system correct?

We are thinking of Sunday the 20th and Monday the 21st- do you think these will be crazy? do you think these are the best days of our trip to go?

We know nothing about Orlando so I am using this site to help plan the trip- we are staying offsite near Disney and will have a rental car...
:flower3:

As for crowds, I am a little worried about your dates because they coincide with my DD6's spring break. That probably means it's spring break for a lot of others too. If those are your dates though, then Sunday and Monday (with Sunday being historically the lightest day of the week) are hopefully the best days to go on a busy week.

Universal's answer to FastPass is called Universal Express but can only be gotten by staying at an onsite hotel or purchasing outright. It works very well, but it costs extra money, unlike FastPass. The main ride in HP, Forbidden Journey, does not accept UE at this time however. Most everything else does.

I still think you should go, but maybe have realistic expectations on what you will get done. Keep looking at these boards, they are an excellent source of information for you!

We have been to all of the parks in Orlando many, many times in March. Yes, it is going to be packed. (More so at IOA now that HP is open) If you can affored a night in one of the official hotels for IOA and get the early entry, I would highly recommend it. If not, be up early and get in line before official opening. Be prepared for long lines & hot weather.

We have to go at this time due to our schedules; and even with the crowds and weather it's worth it to us. Like the previous person said, just be realistic and prepared in your expectations. Drink lots of frozen butterbeer to keep cooled off and just take some time to sit and soak up the atmosphere. It's even better late at night, in the dark when the castle is all lit up.....

I am scared for the crowds..should I be? there is no fast pass system correct?

We are thinking of Sunday the 20th and Monday the 21st- do you think these will be crazy? do you think these are the best days of our trip to go?
As the others have stated you're going when Orange County schools are out so the crowds will be very large.

You can purchase the Express Plus pass at either park but I wouldn't buy it ahead of time until you arrive and see what the lines are like. EPs are date specific and non-refundable so if you change your plans, you're out the money.

Best advice...get there early and try to do as much as you can before 10am when the crowds usually show up. HP will be packed of course but the rest of IOA shouldn't be too bad until later in the morning.

Yikes! I'm going to Universal the same week in March, with my parents in tow for one day at IOA primarily so my mother can see Wizarding World. Given the crowds and my parents generally slower speed, do you think the following is doable in one day? We are also staying offsite, so we will not get early entry:

Arrive 1 hour early to get in line
Ollivander's
Forbidden Journey
Lunch at Three Broomsticks
Jurassic Park River Adventure
Spiderman
Back to Wizarding World (perhaps in the evening) to shop.

If we have time, I'd like to do Triceratops Encounter (if open) and Cat in the Hat, but I'm thinking I should lower my expectations?

Thanks for any advice you have!!!

Metro West, you will know more than me since you are there, but I just double checked the Orange County school calendar and it says they are on Spring Break March 28 -April 1. I almost had a heart attack when I read your post as we are going March 19-26 specifically so we don't coincide with Orange County Spring Break. We did a Disney week one time when it was OC Spring Break and we will never do it again. It was total insanity.

Some tips. Most major souvenirs (including wands) from HP are also at Trader Joe's at the front of the park without the potential crowds/lines at HP.

Don't carry purses, backpacks, etc., you want to avoid the lockers, they will slow you down. Unobtrusive fanny packs only for FJ. Pants/Shorts with lots of pockets would be best.

Although no fast pass can be used on Forbidden Journey, you can get in the "single rider line" (really quick line but you might not all sit together (you can't really see each other during the ride anyway). If you like, once you're off the ride you can get in the castle tour line which allows you to go slow and check out areas you may have missed by doing the single rider line.

Keep reading the threads, so many helpful tips on here!

Metro West, you will know more than me since you are there, but I just double checked the Orange County school calendar and it says they are on Spring Break March 28 -April 1. I almost had a heart attack when I read your post as we are going March 19-26 specifically so we don't coincide with Orange County Spring Break. We did a Disney week one time when it was OC Spring Break and we will never do it again. It was total insanity.
Did you check Osceola and Seminole Counties? They are out March 21-25. I mixed the weeks up again. :headache:

We did, however, spring for one night at one of the onsite hotels. (staying offsite for the week, but got a night for the express passes)

How does early entry work?

Should we show up at our hotel SUPER early on our check in day to get our room keys or passes or whatever they give us (assuming the room isn't ready yet) and get early entry? or maybe plan to get up early the next morning that we actually stay in the room?
Do hotel guests get early entry every morning? or is it only specific days or specific parks like WDW?

Thanks for additional info regarding dealing with March crowds and hotel guest perks!!

We are looking at being in Orlando to visit WWOHP April 3 - 6 staying offsite, but the hotel said it had partner status - so that EE was available - (its the Homewood Suites) I am trying to speak with a human onsite at the hotel to confirm this.

We arrive in Orlando on the 3rd, was thinking Monday the 4th for WWOHP - or is Tuesday a less busy day?

Thanks
T

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter