Really need help with planning the drive down East Coast to DW

I'm also not understanding the stop in Myrtle Beach? It sounds like you'd have an hour or two in the evening and and then an hour in the morning? That seems kind of silly to drive all that extra way for maybe 3-4 hours of time mostly at night in Myrtle Beach.

I'd also skip the bay bridge/tunnel, driving through a tunnel is really not very exciting.....

If you are planning all these stops on the way down, what do you have planned on the way back? Can you do some of these stops on the way back?

I do lots of roadtrips and I can't really imagine trying to pre plan pit stops for food, there are just too many factors involved. There's rarely a shortage of places to eat near major highways in the US.

If you plan on being on Route 95 for any time I recommend Drive I-95 book. It lists what food, gas, coffee and hotel is off each and every exit. There is also an interesting section that talks about tourist spots on the way down. I love this book

If you plan on being on Route 95 for any time I recommend Drive I-95 book. It lists what food, gas, coffee and hotel is off each and every exit. There is also an interesting section that talks about tourist spots on the way down. I love this book

Ditto this! We've driven to FL from NJ many times and this book is the BEST go-to reference for everything on I-95. It makes it so easy to decide which exit/rest stop to use for bathroom breaks, food, gas, etc.

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel is neat as it is such a looooooong bridge with 2 short tunnels. It's a marvel of engineering and when the water is choppy below you, kind of cool.

Did you remember to add in money for tolls? So many roads will be toll roads - esp. in Delaware... it's a small state but they make up for it by politely taking your money every few miles, or so it seems... no offense to any Delawarians. :rolleyes1

When we drive straight through from here in NJ (central coast), it takes 16-18 hours to get to WDW. If we stop for a night, it takes about 19 hours of drive time. Keep an eye on any big cities you're driving through and try to avoid them at rush hour (6-8am and 4-6pm) on weekdays or if you do hit them, expect heavier traffic.

Use Google maps to show you any "red" zones and how long they extend so you know if it's okay to sit through a traffic jam or if you'll be better off finding a detour.

Might I suggest that you take the autotrain one way from outside of Dc (Lorton, VA) to 20 miles north of WDW. The Lorton station is right off of I95. We take it every year one way. Many people who ride are from the NE. You have to be there by 2pm, so many get up early and drive to Lorton from NYC, Boston, etc. The train makes no stops, except for fuel. You leave @ 4 and get there by 9. You can get $$ sleeper cars, or just get much cheaper seats. If you have kids under 12, its a good deal as they are 1/2 price. A family of 4 can ride one way for about $600 if you book very early. Dinner and continental breakfast are included.

Might I suggest that you take the autotrain one way from outside of Dc (Lorton, VA) to 20 miles north of WDW. The Lorton station is right off of I95. We take it every year one way. Many people who ride are from the NE. You have to be there by 2pm, so many get up early and drive to Lorton from NYC, Boston, etc. The train makes no stops, except for fuel. You leave @ 4 and get there by 9. You can get $$ sleeper cars, or just get much cheaper seats. If you have kids under 12, its a good deal as they are 1/2 price. A family of 4 can ride one way for about $600 if you book very early. Dinner and continental breakfast are included.

The Autotrain is wonderful but it actually covers the easiest part of the drive.

If they would only do a Lorton to Boston area Autotrain!

Sorry for the delay in my reply guys, my Mom has been in the hospital...between visits and work and home stuff... ACK no time. I want you all to know I HUGELY appreciate all your input and will go through everyone's responses and take everything into consideration. Thank you all so much!! Love it all!

Ditto this! We've driven to FL from NJ many times and this book is the BEST go-to reference for everything on I-95. It makes it so easy to decide which exit/rest stop to use for bathroom breaks, food, gas, etc.

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel is neat as it is such a looooooong bridge with 2 short tunnels. It's a marvel of engineering and when the water is choppy below you, kind of cool.

Did you remember to add in money for tolls? So many roads will be toll roads - esp. in Delaware... it's a small state but they make up for it by politely taking your money every few miles, or so it seems... no offense to any Delawarians. :rolleyes1

When we drive straight through from here in NJ (central coast), it takes 16-18 hours to get to WDW. If we stop for a night, it takes about 19 hours of drive time. Keep an eye on any big cities you're driving through and try to avoid them at rush hour (6-8am and 4-6pm) on weekdays or if you do hit them, expect heavier traffic.

Use Google maps to show you any "red" zones and how long they extend so you know if it's okay to sit through a traffic jam or if you'll be better off finding a detour.
I too live in NJ and drive to FL. I haven't bought the book you are talking about but I have an app on my phone called I-Exit which I love for this drive. You can see all of the exits coming up...even into the next state... and check to see what food/gas/lodging is available at each exit and how far it is. When we need gas, I check this app and then I have Gas Buddy on my phone and I check for gas prices at these exits so I know which is the best one to stop at. This has saved us money in the past. I'm looking for an alternate route for the drive home through Maryland/DC. It always seems no matter when we get there, there is always traffic almost through the whole state. BYW OP...Cracker Barrel is a must stop! I love that place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter