Really, I'm not selfish, but...

maxsmomamy

Mouseketeer
:headache: I'm in a bind! I found out today that I can do Poly for only $100 more than BC. Way cool, right? But I also found that we can do POR for almost $1000 less! We have BC booked and have budgeted for that, but now I don't know if I can justify spending that much extra $! I'm not thrilled with the decore at alligator bayou, but our youngest will be 5 and fit on the trundle. I just imagine more "magic" at Poly and by the time we can go again, all the kids will be jrs and the price will be way unaffordable then.
Does it really make much difference? My boys think the monarail is cool, and it would be nice to have the quick ride "home". I know this is probably an unusual position and I am gratful to be able to stay at the delux (for now) but it's a Christmas present for our family and I just want to make the best decision!
Please help! What are your op?:

it is not the decore at AB that has the problems

it is the size of the beds (well for me at least)

Polyn and BC has 2 queen beds and a day bed

POR has 2 double beds and the trundle bed is really small.

Unless you have your heart set on Poly or Beach Club, why dont you check out WL. Short boat ride from the MK. Queen size beds. It should be cheaper than BC or Poly and you still get a deluxe. It might might a nice midway choice between Poly/BC and POR.

You need to decide what amenities are important to you. The Deluxe hotels have queen beds (not doubles), the rooms are somewhat larger, the hallways are interior (not outside), they usually offer room service, they offer valet parking. If you are only in your room to sleep, these amenities are probably not worth the extra $$. I LOVE the convenience of the Poly and would definitely choose it over POR every time. The BC is also really nice and I think you'd be happy there, too. However, if you are just looking for a Deluxe hotel, but don't want to break the bank, the WL is great (especially at Christmas).

Unless you have your heart set on Poly or Beach Club, why dont you check out WL. Short boat ride from the MK. Queen size beds. It should be cheaper than BC or Poly and you still get a deluxe. It might might a nice midway choice between Poly/BC and POR.

We have 3 kids- I'd LOVE to goto WL- it's always been the #1 on my list, but we would need to rent 2 rooms.

The bed issue would rule out POR for me. I can't imagine five people, be some of them small, sleeping on two double beds and a trundle. Between the Beach Club and the Poly - I don't think the difference is enough to make a huge impact. You should choose between those two resorts by choosing the theme that you like best, or the area that you like best (Beach vs Island/ Magic Kingdom vs Epcot/DHS)

What a great position to be in. :thumbsup2 Personally, I have stayed at the poly and love the conveniance factor and the staff there. It was a spurge for us as well but well worth every single penny. The pool is fun and the rooms are spacious. It almost seems like a no-brainer to me. :rotfl2:

$100 more to be on the monorail???

It's a Christmas gift. I bet you can find lots of little ways to save that $100 between now and December!!!

I say go for it if you can find the money!

I would ask myself what would we do with that $1,000.

For us, our retirement funds and our daughter's college fund are more important than being on the monorail. (yes we've tried it, honeymooned at GF)

Other people feel that being in a deluxe is worth whatever they pay.

It's a matter of what is important to YOUR family. If the kids aren't going to be able to go to the dentist, then stay at POR. If you won't miss the money, go an enjoy. Either resort, your family will have a fantastic time!

I would do the Poly if you can afford it. Like you said it might be your only oppotunity. We had our room booked for the POP and decided to spend an extra $1200 to get another room for the 10 days. For us it was worth it to have the extra space of the two rooms and have the kids in one room at night while me and DH can stay up. So it all depends on what is important to your family.

Hi there,

I had a similar problem this week and have decided to stay at the POR (New Orleans) instead of the Wilderness Lodge and take the family to Cirque du Soleil, fit in a side trip to the new water park Atlantica at Sea World (my kids LOVE water parks) and booked my two girls appontments at the Bibbidy Bobbity Boutique....This is only our second visit to WDW, so we will not be spending much down time at the resort. Wilderness Lodge was very tempting though...

Cheers,

Caro

:headache: ...we can do POR for almost $1000 less! We have BC booked and have budgeted for that, but now I don't know if I can justify spending that much extra $! I'm not thrilled with the decore at alligator bayou, but our youngest will be 5 and fit on the trundle. I just imagine more "magic" at Poly and by the time we can go again, all the kids will be jrs and the price will be way unaffordable then.

Especially with a family $1,000 is a lot of money. Think of POR as half full: given the size and age of your boys it may be the only time you get to stay there. :thumbsup2 They will likely love the trundle bed and even fight over who gets to sleep there. A double bed and sharing a room with the kids doesn't seem to be an issue for you and hubby so POR would work.

The kids will still have a fun pool with a slide. There is the boat to DTD, game room, etc. Enough for the kids to enjoy and for you to see their faces light up. You will still get to tour any resort to see the holiday decorations.

Putting that $1,000 in the vacation fund might allow you to get back to Disney one more time before the kids are too big or let you and hubby sneak off for a weekend trip at BC or the Poly some time. You could also spend just a bit of it to insure some additional "magic".

The $100 to move from one resort to another isn't as big a deal, but $1,000 really gets your attention. One complaint I've heard(not just read on DIS) about the Poly and could likely apply to most of the Deluxes: CS is too small and REALLY crowded in the mornings. The Mods have more extensive CS facilities, so that part of your stay will likely be better at either at Mod or a Value. BC/Boardwalk hotels seems to have the weakest CS offering of any Disney resort.

Lastly, we stayed at CBR last summer. Though it was obvious that our fish, I mean my 6yo nephew loved his time in the pool there(he even swam after check out and we showered and changed him at the pool house) his Disney memories center around other things: characters, character meal and a favorite ride; not the room or the resort even though I know he loved those too.

We have 3 kids- I'd LOVE to goto WL- it's always been the #1 on my list, but we would need to rent 2 rooms.

I may be wrong but I think they have deluxe rooms that accommodate 5. Others can correct me if I am wrong. But, I am not sure if they are more costly than Poly or BC.

I personally would pick the Poly. If you have budgeted for BC and can upgrade to Poly for another $100, I would definitely do it. Especially if you don't think you'll get the chance again :thumbsup2

I just got back from a stay at the Poly and it was fabulous. Only one complaint our negihbors had a little "monster" that was really loud. The rooms aren't so much soundproof.

I have also stayed at CBR, which isn't the same as POR but it is a moderate and I must say it was nice as well. To be honest, I have also stayed at CSR, and liked it as well.

While the Poly did offer certain amenties, to be honest I would have had probably been almost as happy at CSR, CBR, or probably POR. The monrail was nice and so was the choice of resturants but I am not sure it was worth the extra money we spent in the long run. I'm glad we did it, but next time will probably be a moderate at least in the near future.

With that being said, I have also stayed at Pop and my husband would probably refuse to go to Disney if I suggested we stay there again. He truly hated this resort. It was crowded, loud, and the rooms were very small. I thought it was ok...not great but not that bad. I guess I was of the mindset you get what you pay for.

Really the choice is yours and it matters what is important to you. With the difference of $100 between BC and Poly, I would go with Poly. When you start talking about $1000.00 it might be worth it to do the moderate. However, the theming is not a nice.

To comment on the person who said the CS resturant is small at the Poly is right....it is. Cap'n Cooks is very nice, but in the mornings it tends to get very croweded and there is little seating space inside. While there is more outside, if it is raining, you may be out of luck.

Honestly I would stick with a deluxe and I think the Poly rooms are bigger than the BC rooms. My two factors are always room size and transportation. They are two things that make or break a vacation with my crew. You will need to be comfy when you sleep and two in a double bed would not cut it for us.

Just think with that $1000 you could almost book another trip ;) For us I would have to say save the $$$ and stay at a mod. It's been a while since I've stayed at Wilderness Lodge and while I loved every minute of it, I would rather go more often and stay value or Mod then deluxe.

I thought WL did five too? You can get rooms with a bunkbed, and a cot plus the regular bed I thought.. Could be wrong, limited number of rooms, but not club level. I would really reccomend WL, I actually like the boats from poly, gf, and WL more than the monorail.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter