Really good flea pills that require no vet visit?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
So we used to go to the vet and buy flea pills for the dogs without having them having to be seen for an exam, things must have changed? I called today to see about getting some and they said that all three of my dogs would need an exam before they would sell us the flea pills. Well after the exam and the meds, that would run me around $300, not happening. :headache: They didn't need an exam to get their rabies shots. Can you say money grab? So what are some really good flea pills that you can buy on Amazon or just online without permission from the vet.:crazy2:

I spend about $350 on my dog’s annual exam and 6 months of sentinel and heart worm prevention. I don’t think of it as a money grab, vets have the same amount of expensive education as physicians. At our last visit, they found dental damage that I didn’t know about which could’ve easily caused an infection.

I spend about $350 on my dog’s annual exam and 6 months of sentinel and heart worm prevention. I don’t think of it as a money grab, vets have the same amount of expensive education as physicians. At our last visit, they found dental damage that I didn’t know about which could’ve easily caused an infection.
Well that $300 would most likely only cover one month for me. We used to be able to buy them without the visit. And my adult daughter is a former vet tech and she said too that it used to work that way. I just can't figure out why they didn't need such for a rabies shot? That is what makes me scratch my head.

Sentinel works really well for us. The vet switched our pill once and we weren't paying attention and it was heartworm only and not a combo pill, and our dog got fleas bad. Sentinel cleared it up in a week.

Well that $300 would most likely only cover one month for me. We used to be able to buy them without the visit. And my adult daughter is a former vet tech and she said too that it used to work that way. I just can't figure out why they didn't need such for a rabies shot? That is what makes me scratch my head.
All of my prescriptions require me to see my doctor annually, that is how it works. I got a 3 month prescription filled a couple of months ago without a visit only because of Covid and the office being closed. My vet won’t give me a prescription without a checkup, including checking for heart worm. I’m waiting as long as I can because they don’t let owners into the office and my dog gets so nervous as it is.

I don't have any knowledge about dogs, but my daughter and I just had this conversation this morning concerning her cats.

She just used Advantage II on her cats. It worked on one, but not the other. She thinks it worked on the one cat because her weight was at the low end of the labeled dosage. The other cat was at the high end and it helped but did not eradicate them.

She is also in FL and the vet has said they have ferocious fleas there. Her cat was just there in January, so they did call in a prescription.

I hope you find something that helps.

I don't have any knowledge about dogs, but my daughter and I just had this conversation this morning concerning her cats.

She just used Advantage II on her cats. It worked on one, but not the other. She thinks it worked on the one cat because her weight was at the low end of the labeled dosage. The other cat was at the high end and it helped but did not eradicate them.

She is also in FL and the vet has said they have ferocious fleas there. Her cat was just there in January, so they did call in a prescription.

I hope you find something that helps.
I seen some called Capstar on Amazon that has good reviews. Might just get those.

Why can't you just do the topical products, which you can buy online or at the pet stores? Advantage/Advantix or Frontline are probably the biggest reputable brands. Avoid the cheapo brands like Hartz or Biospot, those have been known to cause nasty reactions.

Why can't you just do the topical products, which you can buy online or at the pet stores? Advantage/Advantix or Frontline are probably the biggest reputable brands. Avoid the cheapo brands like Hartz or Biospot, those have been known to cause nasty reactions.
Well I try to avoid topical because when I was young and I do remember this, I had a very extreme allergic reaction to flea collars that were on our pets. I had to go to the ER. I have avoided such all my adult life.

Flea collars are very different than the topical liquids. There is a new flea collar brand Seresto that is effective and worthwhile, but otherwise I agree with you to avoid them all. They can be irritating to the pet as well as people, and just aren't that effective. But the name brand topical liquids are pretty safe. They are not the same chemical as the flea collars.

I don't know offhand of any reliable oral flea preventative that is not a prescription. If the dogs currently have fleas, the fleas are in the house so you'll want to vacuum everything very well, wash the dogs' bedding, and remove the vacuum bag from the house. The Capstar does work, but a week later the dogs will be reinfected from going outside or sneaky indoor flea holdouts. And if they don't currently have fleas, Capstar won't accomplish anything.

I ordered some flea medicine for my outside cat from Canada vet. You can order prescription medications from them without a prescription.

Also, don’t you have to take your dogs to the vet for heart worm medication? I hope you have your dogs on heart worm medication.

BE CAREFUL. Last year we had a vet appt that ended up being delayed by an hour. The doctor came out to explain what the issue was. A family used an over the counter flea med and did not dose it correctly and their two dogs were having terrible seizures that took a long time to get under control. If you have flea's in the house you will want to put mothballs in your sweeper before vacuuming. When you suck up the flea the mothballs will kill the flea and flea eggs.

In my area, there's a company called The Good Neighbor Vet that sells flea meds and gives shots, but waives the exam fee. They show up once a week at various hardware stores. It's not a full service vet, but worth it for vaccines and flea meds. They had Bravecto for my cat for $50 for a 3 month topical while my vet sells the same thing for $80. It's just in OR/WA/ID, but there may be something similar in your area. Maybe at the low cost spay/neuter clinic? They do have to give an exam to sell a prescription product; I think it's the law. We've had good luck with Bravecto topical for cats. It's expensive, but only needs to be applied every 3 months.

A yearly physical is not a money grab, it's part of the responsibility of owning a pet. Laws differ from state to state, but most include language that states (just like at your own physician) there must be a doctor (vet) / patient (pet) relationship documented and records kept which includes the exam, treatment and all information on dispensed medications. Your vet is following the law. What you call "flea pills" are considered prescription medications. Vaccines are regulated differently than prescription drugs and depending on your state laws can be given by a veterinarian, a technician or even by the owner themselves.

That said, while you cannot buy the monthly or longer oral flea meds there are a number of safe external products you can buy without a prescription that are effective. Advantage/Advantix, Frontline (though we question how well that works anymore- it's still safe). I work in veterinary medicine and I use Seresto collars on my own pets.

regards

A yearly physical is not a money grab, it's part of the responsibility of owning a pet. Laws differ from state to state, but most include language that states (just like at your own physician) there must be a doctor (vet) / patient (pet) relationship documented and records kept which includes the exam, treatment and all information on dispensed medications. Your vet is following the law. What you call "flea pills" are considered prescription medications. Vaccines are regulated differently than prescription drugs and depending on your state laws can be given by a veterinarian, a technician or even by the owner themselves.

That said, while you cannot buy the monthly or longer oral flea meds there are a number of safe external products you can buy without a prescription that are effective. Advantage/Advantix, Frontline (though we question how well that works anymore- it's still safe). I work in veterinary medicine and I use Seresto collars on my own pets.

regards
I do believe it is the law now, no doubt, but it didn't used to be. And the thing that just makes me wonder the most is the fact that they didn't need a yearly exam for the rabies shots they got last month. I mean, I think I have a point there. And no, I don't really have an extra $300 right now for three dogs to see a vet. I have my husband having to have an extremely necessary medical procedure in the morning that is right at one grand and of course it is not covered by insurance. All out of pocket there, so he comes before any of our animals. But I will look at everyone's other suggestions, thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter