really don't know what to do

My husband and I did the DFTW last year and are coming up to our 1 year anniversary. We both grew up around Disney, were Dreamers and Doers, and his dad was an imagineer. So it only made sense for us to have our wedding there as well. My mom didn't know what to say when I told her Disney was the wedding destination, but she went along with it anyway. My dad is a joker and often cracked jokes about the wedding being at Disney but I grew up with his bad jokes and know to ignore them.

When we told our friends where it was to be held there were a lot of mixed feelings. But as the big day got closer, the more everyone started to grow excited and curious about the event.

In the end EVERYONE had a fantastic time! And they all still talk about how fun the wedding was to this day!

Ultimately, it is you and your husband's big day! It is you and your husband's honeymoon! Don't let other people dictate what they think you should or shouldn't do for your major life choices. We didn't. We had our Disney wedding and then went on a Disney Cruise for our honeymoon because it was what we wanted as a couple. We had so much fun on our cruise that we just booked another one and bringing our parents this time.

Do what you want because years from now they won't remember the grief or sorrow they caused you but you will. Speaking from someone who knows. Thank goodness DH is not a reflection of his family.

I can understand why extended family would be upset over a location wedding. Many of our family members would not be able to do that financially and would have missed sharing in our kids weddings.
But the honeymoon???
We have several family members who recently had disneymoons and had a ball! One couple came back with a lifetime souvenir and she is doing any minute!
We celebrated our 25th anniversary in Disney. Some people made weird comments about it being a kids destination vacation, but they just do not know what they are missing!
Go have the trip of a lifetime!

you guys are right, it just constantly keeps coming up. even the other day at a friend's wedding my dad said "don't do Disney, go elsewhere." I was like :furious: we will go where we choose! it's OUR honeymoon! everyone else gets their shot at a honeymoon, this is ours. it gives me such anxiety to even talk about it with people I now just brush off the W word and the HM word altogether! it makes me so sad.

I haven't read through all of the replies but I can say that this day is about YOU & YOUR FIANCE. Yes, it's wonderful when our friends and family can be there for us and join us in celebration. But what Really matters is that the two of you are somewhere together saying "I do". If a DFTW is your dream and your fiance also would like that, do it. If your family/friends are brats about it, have a nice small one with just a few close friends and have a reception back home. If you've settled on the wedding at home, enjoy yourself and add all the Disney magic you want.

As for your Honeymoon...Literally the only two people this actually matters to is you and your fiance. No one else is going with you. It doesn't matter what they think about it. They can go wherever they want on vacation. If you guys want Disney...Go To Disney and don't give all the naysayers a second thought! This is the start of your life together...do what you guys will enjoy!

We go to Disney World twice a year and No we don't live in Florida! Its just a wonderful place to go. Your honeymoon is about you, not your family or anyone else. Now if you are looking for an exotic alternative, I do highly recommend Japan Disney. It won't be very warm in October, but it should be pleasant weather-wise and its two really amazing and different parks!

If you want to go to Disneyworld for your Honeymoon then go to Disneyworld. Screw what other people think. If they are paying for your honeymoon then that would be a different story. Let us all know the outcome

First- I hope you have a wonderful wedding no matter where it is! :goodvibes

Second- It's your honeymoon! You want to go WDW? Go WDW! If other people don't understand that doesn't matter. What matters is you and Husband go somewhere to enjoy life and each other!

go to disney! it no one else's business! we got married there in 2006. we made sure everyone who wanted to be there could afford it (we're from the UK so it involved a big holiday too!) my grandparents and aunt and uncle could afford it. only my parents and hubbies mum came in the end. there was 5 of us, a photographer and the officiant in the Disney chapel. we had the best day ever. wedding at 12 and rose and crown in epcot at 6 for tea and illuminations. I wouldn't have changed it for the world.

your wedding only happens once (!) you should do what you want. if your always going to regret not having the Disney wedding then just do it. otherwise will you be spending all your day thinking "I wish I was in Disney"? I'm sorry, I'm very independent and do what is right for me and my family. I couldn't see the point in spending hundreds of sounds on a meal and drinks for relatives I only see every 5 years or so!! if the wedding really is a no go then do the disneymoon. don't worry what others think it's your life! don't go into marriage on a regret.

Laura Xx

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

I have been to disney over 30 times in my life and about 5 times in last year. I plan to get married and take honeymoon at disney world and possible disney cruise. Your wedding and honeymoon is all about you and your soon to be husband!!!!! You both should do what you want! Your wedding should be a celebration of the two of you!! I understand its hard when you have loved ones making mean and negative comments about the things you want to do, try to remember they mean well but you have to choose what you feel you want to do!!

Pooh2 said:
I can understand why extended family would be upset over a location wedding. Many of our family members would not be able to do that financially and would have missed sharing in our kids weddings.
But the honeymoon???
We have several family members who recently had disneymoons and had a ball! One couple came back with a lifetime souvenir and she is doing any minute!
We celebrated our 25th anniversary in Disney. Some people made weird comments about it being a kids destination vacation, but they just do not know what they are missing!
Go have the trip of a lifetime!

We did our honeymoon there exactly 24 years ago. My husband didn't get the vacations that I had as a child so I wanted to show him. We have a great video of our time there with great memories. Wouldn't have changed a thing! Now both of our daughters are all about Disney. The one wants her wedding there and the other's goal is to be an imagineer. I finally got my parents convinced of all the adult things to do there with never ending choices"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter