Really confused about arrival and boarding times for April cruise

Mama hallie

Earning My Ears
hello. We are setting sail on our first Disney cruise in April and are quickly approaching our online check in date. With that being said, I am totally confused on this process. Many tip and hint blogs say pick the earliest embarkation time, but the Disney cruise website says the terminal doesn't open until 11am. I also read another post that says if you pick arrival time at 12:30 you board the ship pretty quickly and don't have to hang out in the terminal (which I am trying to avoid). We are driving to Port Canaveral the morning of, from about 4 hours away with a 6 year old. I don't really want to wake her up at 4am to get the early arrival time unless it is really worth it. As of right now, everything is pushing me to pick the arrival time around 12:30 pm. I understand this means the ship will be a bit more busy when we board than the earlier arrival time, but if that's he only reason to avoid the late time, I don't see an issue with it.

I need help making this decision, please.

If you want to avoid waiting in the terminal with huge crowds then pick a PAT of 12:00. You will arrive after the initial crowd has boarded but before most of the buses from WDW start to arrive. You should be able to check in and then walk right onto the ship.

If you want to avoid waiting in the terminal with huge crowds then pick a PAT of 12:00. You will arrive after the initial crowd has boarded but before most of the buses from WDW start to arrive. You should be able to check in and then walk right onto the ship.

Thank you! :flower3:

If you get into the terminal early Mickey and some others come out for pictures. Also, some people sign up for the kids-club during this wait period.
I enjoy watching people get excited as the time approaches to board the ship. I understand with kids that age and crowds if you choose not to want the waiting.

Most people who talk about Port Arrival Times do so to try to figure out how they can get on board as soon as possible. It doesn't seem to be your goal so I would avoid most of the chatter on the "best" time to pick. If you are not planning on arriving until 12-12:30, then pick a time close to that. There is nothing happening in the terminal that is worth the crowds in my opinion. And if getting onboard a little later saves you having a tired or cranky child later on, I think it is well worth the trade off. Once you get onboard there isn't a lot happening either -- lunch, walking around the ship, pool time - unless you have reservations you need to make/fix. Organized activities don't really begin until the Sail Away deck party and you'll want to have energy for the evening activities. Plus you can't get into your stateroom until 1:30 anyway.

But back to your Port Arrival Time, if you are targeting to arrive at the port at 12:30 and pick a 12:30 PAT and in the end arrive a little early, no real problem. You will most likely be let in the port to check in (unless it is a very unusual day with severe delays and too many people). From the time the port opens until they begin boarding at around 11:45, the crowds just keep building. Once boarding starts, the crowds thin and when they call open boarding (usually within 45 minutes of boarding beginning), you can arrive at the port, check-in and walk right on. We target to be at the port by 12:30 when we are driving. It's kind of that sweet spot after the initial crowd but before the busses from the resort begin arriving.

Completely agree with citen. You could get an early PAT, maybe 10:45. Then you would be waiting in very long lines, with a VERY LARGE group of people for a little over an hour. You would be on the ship probably close to noon.
Or you could get there as citen suggested, around noon, with virtually no lines, and pretty much be on the boat about 12:30, 12:45 or so.

we always pick the earliest time available and then arrive in whatever way is best for us. there is no need for you to arrive at 1030 or whatever, it doesn't sound like you are trying to do that? so pick the earliest time you are offered and arrive at the the 12-1230 window it sounds like works best for you. you will have a great cruise!

we always pick the earliest time available and then arrive in whatever way is best for us. there is no need for you to arrive at 1030 or whatever, it doesn't sound like you are trying to do that? so pick the earliest time you are offered and arrive at the the 12-1230 window it sounds like works best for you. you will have a great cruise!
If you don't plan on taking advatage of an early PAT, it is more considerate to choose a PAT that is closer to the time you actually plan on arriving. Many cruisers want an early PAT and can't get one because they're already taken.

Does a PAT mean you can't arrive to drop off your luggage and park until that time or that, once parked, you can't enter the terminal with your carry-ons until that time? ie: If you have a 12pm PAT, can you arrive to drop off your luggage and park at 11:30 or 11:45, then wait until 12 to enter the security at the terminal?

Does a PAT mean you can't arrive to drop off your luggage and park until that time or that, once parked, you can't enter the terminal with your carry-ons until that time? ie: If you have a 12pm PAT, can you arrive to drop off your luggage and park at 11:30 or 11:45, then wait until 12 to enter the security at the terminal?

You can arrive and unload, park and enter the terminal within that 15 minute time spot. So if your PAT is Noon, but you arrive at 11:30 it should take about 10 to 15 minutes for the process anyway. You would enter the terminal and go thru the xray/security station and then proceed to the check in area to get Boarding group number and Key to the World cards etc.

You are getting close to sail time aren't you? :) We are sailing on Feb 4th on the Fantasy...it will be our first SWDAS cruise. Really looking forward to it.

You can arrive and unload, park and enter the terminal within that 15 minute time spot. So if your PAT is Noon, but you arrive at 11:30 it should take about 10 to 15 minutes for the process anyway. You would enter the terminal and go thru the xray/security station and then proceed to the check in area to get Boarding group number and Key to the World cards etc.

You are getting close to sail time aren't you? :) We are sailing on Feb 4th on the Fantasy...it will be our first SWDAS cruise. Really looking forward to it.

Ooo... have a great time!

We just did our check in for March. I think I'm the most excited about the SWDAS, but DH and DS are looking forward to watching the movies. My other DS just rolls his eyes at the whole SW thing. I'm starting to think he was switched at birth. ;) JK

Ooo... have a great time!

We just did our check in for March. I think I'm the most excited about the SWDAS, but DH and DS are looking forward to watching the movies. My other DS just rolls his eyes at the whole SW thing. I'm starting to think he was switched at birth. ;) JK

Haha! My daughter is probably going to hibernate in the cabin on that Thursday. She does not care for SW at all. Of course, I am okay with it, but will probably not get into it as much as husband and son will.
We booked it a couple of days ago and I have been checking to see if there is anything new excursion wise that we might try. So far, nothing is hitting me and screaming BOOK me. :)

First time cruisers in February. We fly in the night before and are staying at the country inn and suites. Our PAT is 12:00 I think. We have to return a rental car and then take shuttle to terminal. How much time should we allow for dropping the car off and then shuttle to the terminal??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter