Reality Check -- Poly really worth $400 a night?

mom3girls2007

Mouseketeer
We're going in May, no discounts available. I'm having the hardest time deciding where to stay and if it is worth extra to go deluxe. Disney site says POLY $400. We have limited options for family of 5. Is it really worth that, or would I be just as happy at POR for $179 a night. Or Dolphin for $199? I'm having the hardest time deciding and could use some advice from Disney veterans. (this is our 2nd trip in 5 years) -- have always wanted to stay on the monorail but that is a lot of money! --If it helps our kids are 11, 11 and 4.

$400 a night is exactly why we bought into DVC. I would gladly (and have) payed approximately $200 a night for a deluxe on the monorail line. I feel for the value and amenities $200 - $250 is right in line, which some of the nicest hotels out there. Of course as we know the amenities are not always equal, but its on the monorail line and that makes up for it.

$400 is way over the top. We live in a capitalistic world and I agree to a point that companies are there to make money. Disney is there to make money end of story. However, you do not make money over the long run at the expense of your fans backsides and wallets. End of rant (stepping off my soapbox now)

To answer your question Polynesian is a beautiful resort, we stayed there once in 2003 for $225 a night (AP rate) If I could get that rate again there wouldn't be a doubt in my mind about staying there again atleast a few nights. There is nothing like hoping on the monorail and getting directly to the MK. For $400 no way its not worth it.

The way I look at it I spent little on the resorts and put it back into the experiences, tours, fine dining, etc. If I can eat at V&A's for the difference between one room and another I will gladly get the cheap room at eat at V&A's.

Jennifer

"Worth" is relative. ;)

Seriously, it is. As much as I love the Polynesian, at $400/night you're paying for convenience. You are conveniently across the Seven Seas Lagoon and the Magic Kingdom and can take either a boat or monorail there, or take the monorail to EPCOT. The theming is top-notch and you truly feel like you're at the center of WDW. I like having all the deluxe amenities like room service and a 24-hour quick service eatery along with more than one sit-down restaurant and valet parking. But when I go it's just me and my DD8so the only people I have to feed is she and I and we spend about 50% of our time at the resort.

With your larger family I don't see why you wouldn't have a great time at POR. There's room for five, the landscaping is as lush as that at the Polynesian and the pool areas is very nice. I'm not a fan of the Swan/Dolphin simply because I can't charge to my room around WDW or use the Magical Express from the airport. Those are deal-breakers for me. But you do have access to the Extra Magic Hours at either resort.

Sometimes I'm willing to pay the $400 to have this, other times I'm willing to just stay at Pop and 'visit' the Polynesian. If you plan to spend a lot of time at the parks, I'd go with POR. Whether you're at the Poly or POR, you'll still be at Disney World. Enjoy! :thumbsup2

I couldnt justify spending that much per night
we ended up going to the Pop Century last time and the CS this time

we always visit and eat at the Poly
but since we are hardly in our room it wasnt worth it

but unlike you its just 2 adults and 1 toddler
might be tougher to get a cheap suite for a family of 5

just my .02$

I love the Poly and I can and have paid $400/night there and I would probably pay that again. Of course I feel like I can afford that rate, and I realize that many people would feel like they couldn't afford it. I'd never reccomend someone to stretch what they feel like they can afford. I also have been to POR and think that it is very nice as well. If the Poly feels like a stretch then POR is still very nice.

If you feel like the dollars are not a stretch but are wondering if the Poly is over priced, then consider this point of view: The Poly's pricing structure allows people to make reservations only a few months (even weeks in advance). If you could get the Poly for the same price as POR or even a few dollars more -everyone one would - and getting reservations there would be like making ADR's at Cinderellas table - probably worse. The Poly would be booked full a year in advance. The problem would be similar to certain hotels in the national parks, where the hotel operators are limited by gov't contract to charge comparable rates to hotels outside the parks (and hence getting a reservation requires booking as soon as booking for the season is allowed). So at some lower price (in comparison to $400/night) the Poly would be impossible to book for most people at any price - even if they were willing to spend more than those lucky to have made the reservation. Having people selling Poly reservations on E-Bay would be even more distasteful than $400 a night!

I always look at it like this... where could the money I saved go to? At $200 a night for 7 nights, thats a savings of $1400... and where would you rather put that money to... towards a resort or towards other activites for your trip?

For instance, we were debating whether to pay the $750 for Lagoon View Concierge at that Poly or take his Conference discount at the Grand Floridian for $315 a night in a garden view room. I have no desire to stay at the GF, never have, but the $400/night savings meant I could go to the Spa one morning, we could go to the Pirate and Princess Party on our arrival night, I could rent water mice from the marina and enjoy other activites around the parks. I would have LOVED that 3rd floor room with a balcony overlooking the castle drinking my orange-guava (sp?) juice in my nice concierge building, but thats "all" I would have been able to do due to the hefty price tag.

My one suggestion would be to wait a little bit longer and see if any discounts/code do come out for your travel dates. We missed the boat for our March trip, and depending on how good of a discount we could have for our Poly LVC, we could have been staying there. Also look into the Contemporary as those standard rooms also sleep five, it's still on the monorail, and slightly more affordable than the Poly. The Family Suites at All Star Music will give you plenty of space (two bathrooms and a seperate sleeping area for you and the kids) for slightly more than 1 room at POR.

I personally don't think any Disney resort is worth it's rack rate price, and that goes for the Poly. I popped over to mousesavers.com and found that last year, Disney released packages and room only discounts in mid-Jaunary and early-March for travel dates in May:
http://www.mousesavers.com/historicalwdwdiscounts.html

I haven't stayed there, but I feel it's not worth it. I've gotten the Royal Pacific and Portofino for $125 and $199 a night. They're far nicer, closer to the (Universal) parks, and allow unlimited fastpass-like privileges. I know it's not Disney, but that is a much better deal. I wouldn't pay more than $200 a night for the Poly. It's nice, but not $400 nice. It doesn't even have a hot tub! I've never stayed at a hotel that would be worth that price. Even the Hyatt Regency Kauai (rated in top 5 often), I didn't pay that much, and it's true paradise!

That said, obviously people are paying it. If I were the OP, I'd choose the Dolphin/Swan for $199.

I stayed at the Poly last December, with a 30% discount, and while I loved it, I would not pay that much for a hotel room again unless my husband and I were really rolling in it. I guess you should ask yourself how much disposable income do you have, and if staying at the cheaper option would give you more to do. With five people, the rooms are huge and give you lots of personal space, I will admit, but 400 dollars a night is a *lot* of money! (We paid 265 a night, and it was still the most expensive hotel room I've ever stayed in). This next trip, I'm staying at Pop for 49 a night with our passholder discount, and it will be just fine for us. We all have different priorities, so that's probably how you'll have to decided, by what is most important to you: money or space.

When I first joined these boards a few years ago, you would be hard pressed to find a bigger fan of the Polynesian than me. I love the history of it, the theming, the vibe it gives off, the beauty, and most importantly the convenience of staying there. Even I have limits though and the recent price increases have left me no choice but to use the Poly for a few special days here and there. I no longer can afford to stay there for my week long vacation at WDW. I have to do a spilt stay at another resort that's more in line with my budget. It's kind of sad, but it's the reality of the situation and Disney knows that they can fill those rooms at those high prices. So why would they offer any deals or have any incentive to lower the rack rates?

I have had some great times and met some wonderful people there over the years, but Disney is pricing me out of the Polynesian's range. My last vacation there for a special gathering was indeed special and the memories will always be with me and I hope to return again one day. To the OP: Trying to justify the higher rack rates is something you really have to think about and it can affect your vacation in a negative way. I would hate for you to pay those prices then be thinking about it the whole trip if it was really worth it or not. My advice to you is to follow your common sense and go with POR. You will still have a wonderful time.

I have to agree with the statement that 400 a night is ridiculous, but to each their own.

No way would I pay $400 a night for the Poly, I would rather go to the Swan or Dolphin (if you are not using the dining plan).

We're going in May, no discounts available. I'm having the hardest time deciding where to stay and if it is worth extra to go deluxe. Disney site says POLY $400. We have limited options for family of 5. Is it really worth that, or would I be just as happy at POR for $179 a night. Or Dolphin for $199? I'm having the hardest time deciding and could use some advice from Disney veterans. (this is our 2nd trip in 5 years) -- have always wanted to stay on the monorail but that is a lot of money! --If it helps our kids are 11, 11 and 4.

From what you've said, I would recommend that you stay at POR. I LOVE the Polynesian resort, but I've also stayed at POR and LOVED that resort, too. I have many reasons why my DH and I are more than willing to pay for a lagoon concierge room at the Polynesian on many of our trips (walking/mobility/health issues mainly, but also DH simply loves Polynesian LVC and it's not easy to talk him out of it..lol), but for a typical family vacation, then there's absolutely nothing wrong with staying at a moderate (or even a value) resort. You'll love POR and think every day about all the money you're saving! Then maybe save the Polynesian resort for a special occasion trip in the future :)

Another thing; many times when people wonder if a particular resort is "worth it" or not, they end up feeling very let down when/if they don't feel that the resort delivers enough bang for their buck once they're there. Just an observation :)

P.S. I have a lot of great pictures (and my comments) from my stay at POR last May on my web site. You can access it by clicking on the link below in my signature then go to the "Disney World Vacations" section, or click here to go directly to my POR page: http://www.brownfamilyvacations.com/html/POR2007.htm

Have a great time, whatever you choose!

Alright I am going to be the one to say it. I would go with the Poly. We are a family of 5 and it fits us well. It is a very hefty price tag and I don't like that but the resort makes up for that. I do fret over the price when I make the reservations every year but by the time I get there I forget al about the price. I love it. But I do agree you have to weigh out if a resort is really worth that to you. It is to me but we spend a lot of time in the room. We have 3 DS's all under 4. With naps, the zero entry pool, the beach, and of course nothing tops laying in bed and watching the firworks from MK. Which ever way you decide I am sure you will be happy. After all it is the most magical place on earth.

$400 is a lot of money on a room. If this is a "once in a lifetime thing" then I would do it, but if not, and spending the money would be rough on finances, I would stay at POR or the Swan or Dolphin. :)

I think that the Poly, as a hotel is certainly not worth the $400/night pricetag. However, what makes the pricetag worth it *to us* is the convenience of the monorail. We stayed at the Poly during our December, 2007 stay and, like I said, the rooms weren't impressive at all to me (except for the bathrooms with the deep tubs). However, to be able to hop on the monorail was soooooo convenient, so much so that DH actually insisted on staying at a monorail resort for our September, 2008 trip. Before staying there, though, and experiencing the convenience of the monorail, I was a non-believer and SCOFFED at the notion of paying so much for a place to sleep. So, I would recommend to the OP really looking at your traveling options and deciding if the convenience of the monorail is worth the extra money. Believe me, the rooms certainly aren't (in my opinion). Good luck with your decision and enjoy your trip! :goodvibes

Hi,

We were in the same place you were last year before we decided. We went for it. We saved and DH worked overtime. We ended up getting a code which saved us 85 a night.

I fell in love because the resort is breathtaking. Watching the fireworks from there and not being in the crowds was wonderful. DH said that being on the monorail was worth every penny for which he worked. You can see below the ages of my children are close to yours.

It was so magical and we appreciated the extra room and the places to eat. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good Luck and let us know what you decide.

$400 is a lot of money on a room. If this is a "once in a lifetime thing" then I would do it, but if not, and spending the money would be rough on finances, I would stay at POR or the Swan or Dolphin. :)

I agree. We've stayed at both the Poly & POR - well POR prior to kids. We loved both resorts but as far as the landscaping and flowers I think POR is pretty close to the Poly. The biggest difference between the two (besides the monorail of course) is the size of the rooms. We're a family of 5 and I'm not sure we could really be comfortable at POR even though the price tag is much better. Maybe a split stay would be helpful - you could cut down on cost but still experience the Poly. We're thinking of ASMu Suites, FW cabins, POR (doubtful), or CR for our next trip. Good luck. The kids would love it any disney resort.

I love the Polynesian, but $300/night is about the outside limit of I would pay, and even that's iffy. I'm much more interested around $225-ish. I would wait and do it sometime in the future when a better deal comes along.

To go along with that, though, there is no way I'd do POR for $179/night. That is, in many ways, even worse than the Poly rate--a hugely inflated rate for what you're getting.

Of the 3 you mentioned, I would definitely take the Dolphin. That's a pretty good deal for a truly deluxe hotel in a great location. It's a fair price vs. the amenities available--maybe even a bargain by WDW standards.

Hope you have a lovely trip!

The Poly to us is totally worth it. We too are a family of 5 and the rooms are a wonderful size for us. We stay here just about every time we go and have never been sorry spending the money. All of the resorts I'm sure are wonderful in their own respect. But for us it's the Poly!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter