Real Princesses Wear Running Shoes - First TR! - March 4-8, 2010

leeshiebean

Mouseketeer
I wanted to start by restating that this is my first trip report, so I hope you like it!

When & Where: March 4-8 2010, WDW/Port Orleans Riverside
Why?: Disney Princess Half Marathon!
Who: Myself (Alicia) - Total Disney fanatic, I've been there 7 times and love, love, love it!
My fiance Jon - He'd only been once as a young teenager. He didn't dislike it, but it was just another family vaca for him. He was interested in going back to see it as an adult. I insisted that his whole outlook on WDW would change now that he was going with someone who loves it. Jon & I are in our mid-20's.
tumblr_l4r0cpgLpP1qa9mido1_500.jpg

Jon & I!

Our friends Sean and Jess - Jon, Jess and myself were going to be running the race. Sean was our cheerleader!
My grandparents - They were already on a vacation to FL, so they met us in WDW with a few other local relatives to watch us race and visit the parks.
Jill and Ben - Close friends of my family. They were married in WDW (their wedding in 2005 was the last time I'd been - a long break for me!) and love it, so they decided to come down to watch us race, too!

I'm not sure what else to write in here as an intro, so onward to the first post!

A little more trip background:

In July 2009, my boyfriend Jon - a runner - was internetting (yes, I've turned the word 'internet' into a verb. in my language, anything can be verbified.) and read about the Disney Tower of Terror 13K race in October. While it sounded like fun, we were already going to Florida in September and unfortunately couldn't change our work schedules to go in October. He started looking around at other Disney races and told me about one he knew would catch my attention: The Disney Princess Half Marathon. One problem? I'm not a runner. Yeah, in high school I could pump out 6 minute miles, but I was 10 years younger and 20 lbs lighter. And while I've run a few 5K's recently, a half marathon was out of the question. Thirteen point one miles? Run for longer than 35 minutes? Is that even possible?

A week or so later, I was doing some internetting of my own, in preparation for our trip in which we would be visiting Tallahassee and Cocoa Beach, with a one night stop in Orlando. A whole afternoon to spend in Disney! I wanted to plan a fun evening for us, so I found myself online trying to decide where we could eat dinner. Lo and behold, I stumble across a blurb about Disney races. Out of curiosity (and the fact that Jon insisted with enough training, I could surely complete a half marathon), I Googled the Disney Princess Half Marathon. I checked out the info on the website, read race reports, and found Disboards.com. The race sounded like a blast, and the support that was given throughout the Disboards and the WISH team made me realize this is something I could do if I really tried. That day, Jon had come up with a training plan for me, and over the next few weeks I started my training. I also read Jeff Galloway's book, Half Marathon: You Can Do It! and Bob & Shelly-Lynn Glover's The Competitive Runner's Handbook, as well as subscribed to Runner's World magazine. I decided if I was going to be a runner, I needed to learn the ins and outs of the sport.

Our September Florida trip came - in Cocoa Beach my boyfriend became my fiance :) - and our evening in Downtown Disney the next night was our celebration! We had a fantastic dinner at Captain Jack's and spent the rest of the night walking around DD, while I introduced Jon to the wonderful world that is Disney. He'd been once or twice as a kid, but it wasn't with a Disney fanatic (it makes all the difference, I promise!), and they didn't stay on Disney property (half the magic is in staying on-site, I think). He enjoyed the evening and we both couldn't wait to get back in March for the race.

As summer turned to autumn, my runs were getting longer. During one 3 mile run at the gym, I had some soreness in my, well, butt area, on the right side. I'd had this pain a few times before and made sure I stretched it out, so that day I did the same. By the time we'd arrived home from the gym, I couldn't move. I literally fell onto my couch, face first, and remained that way while Jon made dinner. This was no pulled muscle: the next day at the doctor I found out it was sciatica. I hadn't heard of sciatica before, but it's simply a set of symptoms that come when the sciatic nerve - what The Competitive Runner's Handbook describes as 'the longest river of pain in the body' - is somehow pinched or compressed. I think the Glovers had it right, because this was the worst pain I'd ever felt. I spent the next 2 days on the couch watching The Office on Netflix, and drifting in and out of a painkiller-induced sleep (Vicodin, muscle relaxers, and Ibuprofen will do that to a person). When I got back to running 2-3 weeks later, I would feel okay until I hit 2 miles. Then the pain would come back and I'd end up walking slowly home, discouraged, the doctor's words repeating in my head: "once you get sciatica, you usually have it for life". What was my body doing? Didn't it know I had a half marathon to run? Walking home from what was meant to be a 4-mile run, only to end after 2, Jon assured me that he was proud of me either way, and if I had to forego this year's race and wait until next year, I still had accomplished so much just by trying. It meant a lot to hear that, but I couldn't help but be upset. I decided then and there that I would find a physical therapist to help me work through this injury and keep training for the 2010 race.

Thanksgiving came and went, and my PT sessions were going well. I learned that my pelvis was out of alignment - a common symptom amongst runners - and that contributes to the compression of my sciatic nerve. They also had me working on core exercises, which would prevent the compression as well. I eased back into running (pain-free, at that!) and made it to one of my short term goals: The Five Miler. I left the gym that day so high off running; I had run for 5 miles over the course of one hour without pain, and managed to end knowing I could have gone longer. As Christmas approached, we decided it was time to book our trip. Jon and I felt confident that throughout the rest of the winter, I'd be able to get in the mileage I needed to be well prepared for the half. Out of sheer luck, I happened to be searching through my inbox one day and opened an old email Disney had sent me, and realized it was an elusive Disney pin code! With it, we booked Port Orleans Riverside and saved 35%.

After Christmas, the race was right around the corner! Two more months go to before flying down to sunny Florida for my first trip back to Disney (7th overall) in four and a half years. I literally couldn't wait.

Joining in...am I first? DH's a marathoner and he's always pressuring me to run too...can't wait to hear more!

Joining in on your TR...I am running the Wine and Dine half marathon this October and nervous about it :goodvibes

First of all, thanks for joining in, everyone! I hope I can inspire at least one of you to run a Disney race - or any race, for that matter!

Back to the trip... here we are on the morning of March 4, Day 1!

I spent the week before the trip trying to get prepared. Running wasn't on my agenda at this point; I had hit my first double-digit run of 10 miles (another milestone!) a few days prior and was now in taper mode. Packing, running errands, getting my playlist ready, checking over and over and over that I'd packed my running sneakers... I was a stress case, to say the least. Jon just threw his stuff in a suitcase the night before we left and was good to go. I worked late the night before we left, so when I came home, I tried my best to get everything ready for the morning and went to bed. We had to leave for the airport around 5:15 am, so I knew I wouldn't get much sleep. Morning came and Jon and I hauled our Disney-bound selves to the airport. It's an understatement to say that I'm afraid to fly, and I have to take a pill to knock me out before I leave the house for the airport. Luckily the flight was a smooth one, and when we were approaching MCO, I perked up. DISNEY here we come!

Jon & I checked in at the Disney's Magical Express desk and were able to get right on board. 30 minutes or so later, we were at Port Orleans Riverside, ready to check in! Actually, I had checked us in online a few days prior. Unfortunately, someone who hadn't checked in online got in that lane anyway and with only one person working the online check in desk at that time, they were up there for at least 10 minutes. I'm impatient, so I started to get frustrated as the regular check-in lane moved along. Jon had to remind me that I was in Disney, and that standing around waiting here should be much more fun than a line anywhere else! Eventually someone else came to work the online check-in desk so we got our packet and room keys (online check in allowed our room to be ready when we got there around 10am, woohoo!), and were out of there 3 minutes later. While in the lobby, we found Jill and Ben, family friends who came to Disney to watch the race. They'd just arrived a few minutes before we did, and had already dropped their bags off to their room. The four of us walked over to "Parterre Place" to find me and Jon's room. I completely forgot that they gave us a water view until we got to it (after walking completely around the building first) - we had a corner room, right on the resort's Sassagoula River. Absolutely perfect! It was just a quick walk over the bridge from the main building, and right along the jogging trails we promised ourselves we would use.

4568992158_9b8e537919.jpg

Jon and I entered the room and freshened up as best we could without our checked luggage, and walked over to the Riverside Mill Food Court for an early lunch. We both ordered massive turkey sandwiches with homemade potato chips and shared a bottle of water. Even though people say that the food in Disney is expensive, I think that they give you a pretty good amount of food!

4568992320_ef24e1aa08.jpg

Jon and I planned to spend Thursday wandering around the resort and other 'free' areas, waiting until Friday to go to the parks. I had never visited the Boardwalk before, so that was going to be our first stop, before later meeting Jill and Ben in Downtown Disney for dinner. We bussed to Epcot and wanted to take the bus to the Boardwalk from there, but we found out we needed to take a bus to MGM (err, Disney Hollywood Studios. I don't know if it'll ever not be MGM to me), and then take a boat to the Boardwalk. Long story short, we made it to the Boardwalk (thanks to our boat captain, who we nicknamed Anderson Cooper because of his bright white hair, haha) and walked around.

4568357927_2a8903af70.jpg

It was rather empty, probably due to the fact that it was still early and there are mostly restaurants there. They looked delish, but we'd just had lunch and so after an obligatory photo booth session (oh, I love photo booths so much!), we headed back to the resort.

(For some reason I never scanned the photo strip, but for kicks you can see the 'instant replay' video of it here)

Before we went, I read on the DisBoards that some people like to decorate their room windows at Value and Mod resorts. I wanted to put something on ours indicating that we were running the Princess race, and here is what I came up with:
4568995594_7531afb637.jpg

4568995732_72a3a34a55.jpg

Jon and I took a chilly boat ride from POR to Downtown Disney to meet Jill and Ben for dinner. We decided on Raglan Road. Ben's fish & chips was seriously lacking (one fish and a handful of chips), while Jon had a sizable shepherds pie (which we recreated for our St. Patrick's Day dinner a week and a half later!), and Jill & I each had awesome body-warming stew, served in a miniature cauldron. It was like a cute little witches brew! We skipped out on dessert there in favor of Ghirardelli's, even though it was pretty cold outside. Actually, the guys each got ice cream sundaes while Jill & I each ordered peppermint hot cocoa. Yum, yum yum, Ghirardelli never disappoints! We popped into a few shops in the Marketplace (where I spotted an adorable collection of plaid patchwork bags, clothes and accessories! I'll be back, World of Disney...) before calling it a night. We'd all been up really early for our flights, and were ready to get into a warm bed. On the way to the bus stop, I noticed our bus was about to pull away. I sprinted toward the bus, waving my arms around like the weirdo that I am! The bus driver stopped to let us on, and onward we went to POR for the night. Jon and I watched The Office before falling asleep.

4568995960_bd40246476.jpg

Feeling sleepy on the bus!

Hello to those reading! Now on to Day 2 - March 5, 2010.

Friday morning, Jon and I woke up and headed out for a run along the jogging trails at our resort. We passed dozens of other runners, undoubtedly preparing for the race as well. My run ended at the dining hall (hah, breakfast was calling!), while Jon completed another loop and met me a few minutes later. I wanted to eat outside because it was a beautiful morning, but after these crazy birds started swooping down, I changed my mind! (I had a bad run in with a seagull on the beach when I was younger)

After cleaning up for the day, Jon and I took a bus over to the Fit for a Princess race expo at the Wide World of Sports.
4568359157_7f1a24a601.jpg

Our resort, POR, was one of the host resorts for the race, so they had transportation to and from the expo on Friday and Saturday.
4568358749_f2ecd8242e.jpg

Going to the expo was super exciting; it was starting to feel real at this point! We walked into the Josten's Center and saw the massive crowd of people on the floor. By going early on Friday I'd hoped to avoid the Saturday crowds, but apparently everyone else had the same idea, too.

4568358917_8c456b7dac.jpg

From up above, I spotted the official DPHM merchandise area - a whole mess of pink! - and took off for the stairs.

4568996198_d70bed13a0_z.jpg

Down on the floor was chaotic with so many people walking around. Jon and I eventually made our way to the back to pick up our race bib numbers and hand in our waivers. If it hadn't fully hit me yet, it did once they handed me my Princess Alicia race number! It was so crisp and beautiful and pink... I couldn't stop looking at it! After months of training, in two more days I was going to pin this onto my running shirt and set out for my first half marathon. I snapped back to reality once Jon got his number (which, much to our disappointment did not say "Princess Jon", but rather just "Jon". That would have been so funny if it had!). We walked over a test mat with our D-tags to make sure our chips registered on it (which they did) and then picked up our goody bags and t-shirts. After a quick size exchange (resulting in a white shirt rather than blue, no big deal) we walked around the expo checking the stands out. I really wanted the Run Girl Run tshirt with the tiara on it, but they didn't have my size. In the end, I only bought a few running stickers and the DPHM pin (oh, and I also got glittered by the Bibbity Bobbity Boutique!). We were there for awhile, and the line to buy my pin was about 25 minutes long, so by the time we dropped our things at the hotel and made our way to Epcot, it was after 1:30pm.

Before we made a beeline to the World Showcase for food, Stitch was right past the entrance with a short line. Our first character photo mere seconds after entering the park! Jon and I love Stitch, so of course we had to stop.

4568359217_7f23e8f5f1.jpg

After Stitch, we were on our way to lunch. So many choices as we strolled (more like speedwalked) from country to country, but most of them were off limits due to Jon's lenten fast.

4568361757_8a2e09e297.jpg

4568361699_cf42c5cd61.jpg

We made our way around to China before we found a vegetarian meal that would be filling enough.

4568999320_1eb9e1d709.jpg

The trip was during the Flower and Garden festival, so there were topiaries all over the place shaped like Disney characters. It was so neat!

4568361643_8238ccbba7.jpg

4569000244_54f608582e.jpg

We met up will Jill and Ben for a boat ride in Mexico, walked back around the World Showcase before leaving Epcot.

4568364313_93f7f2e4f1.jpg

4569002236_217dfa6227.jpg

A short day in the park, yes, but we had reservations for the Hoop Dee Doo Revue at 5! When Jon, Jill, Ben and I arrived at Fort Wilderness, we had to hop on another bus to get to Pioneer Hall. While the bus driver was assisting someone with their wheelchair, I noticed my grandparents outside the bus waiting to get on! We were planning on meeting them at Pioneer Hall, but what a reunion it was to see them an unexpected few minutes early on the bus. I hadn't see them in almost 4 months!

4568366921_4e4a27d306.jpg

4569004166_3bf637d277.jpg

It doesn't matter how many times I see the Hoop Dee Doo, it's always so much fun.

4568369135_515e785453.jpg

4569006886_9f33e94dd3.jpg

4569008810_d96d53e9a1.jpg

Our table was right in front, so the actors picked on us quite a bit. First, we were included in the skit asking people where they were from. Then during another song, Dolly picked up my braided pigtails and sang to me.

4568368699_898e34af77.jpg

But the best part was when Dolly and Six Bits were having a disagreement onstage, Dolly went off into the audience to find a guy to make Six Bits jealous. She picked my Grandpa John! Throughout the rest of the show they kept coming back to him or referencing him. It was hilarious when Six Bits called him an Amish Santa Claus (because of his notoriously Amish looking beard, haha).

4568370609_25d149bdfb.jpg

Once dinner was served, we had a laugh because it was a Friday, and if you're a practicing Catholic, you know Fridays mean no meat. Poor Jon! So when the servers brought out the bucket 'o chicken, guess whose plate they unknowingly dropped it on? Only the one person who couldn't eat it - Jon's!

4569005722_7f4a04ff15.jpg

He missed out on good chicken and ribs... but said the salad, beans and potatoes were pretty good themselves.

4568367995_1c4d615a28.jpg

4568368573_c5c5c855a1.jpg

After the show, we bid farewell to each other for the night. Everyone else was ready for bed, but Jon and I were meeting our friends Sean and Jess, who were on their way to the hotel just then. They live in Florida, and Jess was going to be running the race with us while Sean was going to be another cheerleader. We met them out in the parking lot of POR, showed them around in the room and then went off on our way to Downtown Disney for a night out.

I had to stop back into World of Disney to buy this really cute bag I saw the night before... and its matching wallet! Pink, blue and green plaid patchwork with pink Mickey Mouse print fabric. I couldn't resist it! While I was in the store, the rest of them went on to find a place to get drinks, and I met up with them after I made my purchase. They settled on Paradiso 37 in the Pleasure Island area of Downtown Disney.

4569010162_ac4ddc80bd.jpg

The boys split a pitcher of beer, Jess got a mojito, and I ordered some sort of mango concoction... whatever it was, it was fantastic. Always a sucker for a good appetizer, I ordered the chips and queso for a snack. If you ever go to Paradiso 37, order the queso. You won't be sorry. Unless of course you don't like cheese...

4568373363_d04c395dbf.jpg

4569010902_f7e7573d2b.jpg

Joining in.

Hoop de Doo looks like so much fun. Too bad about Jon missing out on the chicken and ribs.

This is the second review I saw of Paradiso 37 today and it looks so good. It might be worth a try next trip.

I can't wait to hear about the 1/2 marathon. I am not a runner but I wish I was. Last summer I tried the couch to 5k and was doing pretty good. DH and I were even running on the beach every Sunday. Then in Sept. my father passed away and I just quit eating healthy and excersing. Now, I am ready to start all over again. I am going to try couch to 5k again as soon as I find my Ipod (it figures as soon I want to start it goes missing, it has been sitting on my desk right in front of me for weeks.) I am hoping to some day work up to a half marathon. DH has already agreed if I can do a half marathon we can go to Disney to do it. I think he is only agreeing b/c he knows it's a long shot, but it is a dream.

Day 3 - Saturday, March 6, 2010

Saturday morning, the four of us got breakfast at the hotel and then went to the Magic Kingdom.

4568375823_fae144dcb6.jpg

4568376477_170ff993c2.jpg

Of course I brought my awesome fuzzy Minnie Mouse ears with me!

24100_515839368215_160400236_30611508_7037646_n.jpg

Jon and I were planning on using our Give a Day - Get a Day volunteer vouchers to get our ticket to the park, since Sean and Jess had to pick up their ticket as well. The line was soooo long! It took forever (and I was getting so antsy!) but finally it was time to enter my favorite park!

4569028510_b117a273fe.jpg

4568377861_da5f95a6a1.jpg

4569015478_8b449975d0.jpg

No sooner did we start walking down Main Street, when cast members were ushering people off the street for a parade. We hopped onto the curb and watched the Move It! Shake It! Celebrate It! Parade. We moved, we shook, we celebrated.

24100_515839403145_160400236_30611515_5763910_n.jpg

4569016358_4af0dc0750.jpg

We also got "Pumpin' Up the Party" stuck in our heads for the rest of the trip! After the parade went through, we followed it to the circle in front of the castle and stood in the middle for the dance party portion. What a great way to start our visit to the MK! The boys took pictures of Jess and I dancing around with characters.

4569019038_b37bc417b8.jpg

Once the parade ended, it was time to move on to our first land. We were closest to the bridge to Liberty Square, so onward we went! To the Hall of Presidents!

4568382525_a85060fbd2.jpg

The Magic Kingdom was crowded, as expected on a weekend during Peak Season. You all probably know that means more time standing in lines for rides than actually riding them. Since we had limited time to stay in the park, I figured we should hit up the "can't-miss" rides first. On the way to get fast passes for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, I spotted my grandparents on the boat to go to Tom Sawyer Island. I waved my arms around and caught their attention. It's so fun to see people I know around the parks! Once we got our fast passes, we headed to Pirates. After the ride, we saw a crowd gathered near a stage area. Captain Jack Sparrow was there talking about Pirates.

4569020266_aaa37cced5.jpg

Now he's looking for a group of volunteers...well why not? I raised my hand and sure enough he looks me in the eye, points and says "you", then continues to select other people. I made my way up to the stage and realized the other volunteers he chose... were all kids! Like little pre-school aged kids! I stopped walking, thinking maybe he pointed to a child behind me, but Captain Jack saw my hesitation and said "Yup, you, come up!". Well alright then! There I stood on a stage with a bunch of tiny children, looking utterly ridiculous, and loving every minute of it. Who says adults can't enjoy fun stage shows about pirates?!

4568384197_ac8cec39c0.jpg

So I took my pirate oath and received my pirate certificate and laughed myself off the stage and back to my group. Jon took a bunch of pictures of me up there and it looked so funny! I looked like I really took my pirate oath seriously.

4568384237_35ef94547d.jpg

Now it was time for our BTMR fast pass to be put to use. On our way there, we saw my grandparents again and they told us that they were stuck on Splash Mountain earlier. They had to get out of their log and walk through emergency exits, and then were given a free fast pass to use at any time, so we said we would meet up with them there later when it was fixed. BTMR was, as always, a blast!

4568384555_a9427484e2.jpg

Splash Mountain was open now, so we figured we could kill two birds with one stone in Frontierland and go on it.

4569023180_4ae54ebaf3.jpg

We ate lunch now and it took forever to get to the front of the line to even order! The place was packed. After lunch, we made our way through Fantastyland and because of the long wait times, we just picked the ride with the shortest line, which was Snow White's. From there, we headed to Tomorrowland and went on Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin. Jess beat us all, but I came in second place! It was getting late (well, late considering our upcoming bed time), so we had time for one more ride. The only one in the area without a line: Carousel of Progress. The poor CoP is so underrated. I remember when it was only opened seasonally and being disappointed that I couldn't go on. I know it's not a thrill ride or anything like that, but I don't know, I just enjoy some of the educational types of attractions (i.e. Hall of Presidents, Spaceship Earth). I shared a little tidbit I remembered with the rest of the group that they all enjoyed (that you all probably know): the narrator of the CoP is Jean Shepard, the same man who narrated and wrote A Christmas Story.

4568386937_00b76d1b6b.jpg

It was getting to be around dinnertime, so after the Carousel of Progress ended, we made our way out of the park and back to our resort. I'm always sad to leave the Magic Kingdom, but at least I knew I'd be running through it the next morning!

4569024414_89c0ae5e85.jpg

4569026328_1c0eacdd68.jpg

4568390657_27a129ce35.jpg

Back at Port Orleans Riverside, we went to the food court to get our pasta dinner. I also met up with a few DIS/WISHers who were there for a meet-up that was winding down when we arrived.

4569027526_74ef238dba.jpg

4569027704_88102247e9_z.jpg

Jon, Jess, Sean and I headed back to our room and the three runners packed up our bags for the next morning (well, more like the middle of the night!). Race day tomorrow!

I love this!

Your pictures are amazing! I can't wait to read more of your story! I really want to do the half-marathon next spring! :)

Great report so far!:goodvibes

Your title was what caught me - too cute!;)

I am very interested to hear how you made out on the Princess Half. I have done the Minnie 5k and the EEC, but one day I hope to do a Half too!:)

Welcome back to all those reading! To the commenters above, I hope you read this and really make plans to run the race. It was one of the best experiences in my life.

March 7, 2010 - RACE DAY!

I'd been able to keep my pre-race jitters to a minimum for most of the evening, however once I started to pack up my race day bag, that totally changed. I got a major case of the what-if's: what if I don't eat enough before the race and I start to feel weak? What if my feet hurt too much to get through 13 miles? What if our alarms don't go off in the morning? I tossed, I turned, I got up to pee a thousand times; it wasn't the best night's sleep.

4568391461_6a0c01c673.jpg

Three o'clock in the morning - no matter what time you go to sleep - is never an easy time to wake up, but I credit the race with making it a little easier. Getting up during pre-dawn hours is miserable when you know you're off to work. When it's to run a race in Disney World? Well that's a whole other story.
Jon, Jess and I changed into our racing clothes that we'd laid out the night before. I double, no, triple checked my bag to make sure I had the necessities: iPod and Nike+ sensor, sunglasses, camera, Sport Beans. Our room was relatively close to the bus stop, but for some reason at 3:45am and 42°, the walk took on like, 5 additional miles, or so it felt. I was wearing a running skirt with running tights under it, and a tank top with a long-sleeved running shirt over it, while Jon was just in shorts. The rest of us would be braving the cold soon, after we would check our bags and take the long walk to our corrals by 4:30. About 30 seconds after I checked my bag I already missed my running tights.

4569029362_647237ef58.jpg

4568392429_50094c33e7.jpg

If I learned anything from Runner's World about long races and bodily functions, it was to stop whenever you saw a pre-race port-a-potty, whether you had to go or not. Same goes for finding one without a line during the race: it's a rare occurrence, so take advantage and just go. And before and after the 20 minute walk to the corrals, we made porta-potty stops for just that reason. To keep warm, Jon, Jess and I huddled together and bebopped around to a remix of Party in the USA, line danced to some song I don't know, and did a very weak 'keep your hands close to the body' rendition of the YMCA. Whatever it takes to stay warm, am I right?

4569029834_271a480911.jpg

After nearly two hours of patiently waiting, Disney's Princess Half Marathon officially commenced. Corral B was to start at 6:07 am. After a ten second countdown and a few flashes of fireworks, we were off, albeit slowly.

4569030696_450fc32b07.jpg

4568394389_1e4c91ba2d.jpg

I was surprisingly... not nervous. I waved Jon and Jess off to the land of 8 minute pace while I stayed back, falling into my comfortable pace. The sun rose and I (cautiously) stopped off (in the grass) to take a few pictures. One mile down! Then two! Then three! I may run slow, and therefore take awhile to get to where I'm going, but the time went by super fast. (FYI, the time on the clocks throughout the course was started when the wheelchair group started, so it's a little off for everyone else.)

4569031552_b83c855bbf.jpg

Disney characters and high school bands lined the road for entertainment. A lot of the more serious runners smiled and passed by, whereas I (and plenty of others) who didn't have much of a time goal in mind stopped for pictures of/with Captain Jack Sparrow, the Richard Petty Race Track drivers, and the glorious arch welcoming us to the Magic Kingdom.

4569034374_f7ae689ebf.jpg

4569032138_f6ee30a384.jpg

4568396129_e44b86544a.jpg

Oh, hello.

4568396353_dd61057a38.jpg

4569033984_2587e17c5d.jpg

4568397499_51df621ded.jpg

Channeling my best Fonzie.

I got wicked emotional as we ran toward the Ticket & Transportation Center. No, I don't harbor a particular fondness for tickets or transportation, but up until this point there hadn't been too many people on the sidelines. It was still early when we started, and a lot of those roads were closed to cars, so it was expected we wouldn't see too many people until we neared the Magic Kingdom.

4568398015_bf1354fe0b.jpg

Wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube man! (any Family Guy fans?)

4568398901_a2512ed489.jpg

There were, however, plenty of cheering volunteers throughout the entire race, and they were so great, always reaching out their hands for a high five. Anyway, as we entered the TTC area, there were so many people lining the sides of the course, shouting, cheering, hooting, hollering, clapping, and holding handmade signs. I hit a wall of pure emotion at the sight (and sound) of this. I know it sounds dorky, but it was so overwhelming to hear so many people telling every one of us "you can do it!" and "I'm so proud of all of you!".

4569037032_7c4d6ff2f0.jpg

But that all came to a halt when I spotted a bathroom - a real multi-stall, multi-sink bathroom! - with a short line. I somehow maneuvered myself across the path of my fellow runners and to the ladies room. But hey, that men's room doesn't have any line... and there aren't that many men running in this race anyway... and I've done it before at a concert... oh she's going in too, I guess I'll go with her... I threw up my hands as blinders, yelled "Princesses, coming through!" and nearly ran into another woman coming out of a stall as I ran in. Then quick wash of my hands (with my head down) and I was on my way again, warning the other ladies with the same idea to avert their eyes, there were, in fact, men inside.

I leave for a couple days and I miss out on so much, just getting caught up now...what kind of camera do you have? Im on a massive camera hunt and your pics look like they came out GREAT :goodvibes

Im really nervous about the potty situation when running because I always fake myself out during races and think I have to go when I dont :rotfl:

Oh and I loved the wacking wavy inflatable reference to family guy :thumbsup2

But that all came to a halt when I spotted a bathroom - a real multi-stall, multi-sink bathroom! - with a short line. I somehow maneuvered myself across the path of my fellow runners and to the ladies room. But hey, that men's room doesn't have any line... and there aren't that many men running in this race anyway... and I've done it before at a concert... oh she's going in too, I guess I'll go with her... I threw up my hands as blinders, yelled "Princesses, coming through!" and nearly ran into another woman coming out of a stall as I ran in. Then quick wash of my hands (with my head down) and I was on my way again, warning the other ladies with the same idea to avert their eyes, there were, in fact, men inside.

:laughing: Too funny!!

Continuing on with the race report!

There really was nothing like running through the Magic Kingdom. My favorite of the Disney Parks (with Epcot in a close second), it was incredibly fitting for a Disney Princess race to make a jaunt through the most Princessy of the parks.

4569037778_6dd15de7d4.jpg

4569037554_e33d1af751.jpg

The course weaved in and out of back lot and actual park, before making the turn onto Main Street, USA. As I stepped out of the bathroom earlier, I made a quick call to my Nan and Grandpa John to find out where exactly they were. After all, they came all this way to watch me run, so I wanted to make sure I saw them! They told me they were right at the start of Main Street, so as I made the turn, I scanned the crowd. Sure enough, just at the start of Main Street, there they were. I ran to them, waving, giving a quick sideline hug to Nan and continued up Main Street toward Cinderella's Castle. This was so awesome!

4568401387_6dc302fb99.jpg

4568401907_4d21fc2648.jpg

If you're running alone like I did, it's great because other runners as well as race volunteers are always willing to take pictures for you!

23799_515884921925_160400035_30612448_6876007_n.jpg

Or you can spend a fortune and buy the official race photos of yourself a few days after the race.

4568402457_2aa77cf86e.jpg

4569039272_b2768a1309.jpg

Before we reached the castle, the course turned into Tomorrowland, into Fantasyland, and then by Cinderella's Golden Carousel where none other than Cinderella herself was posing for pictures.

4568403133_73d0bba291.jpg

4569040254_34c7bfeef7.jpg

4568403815_f1536cc96c.jpg

That ol' fancy maneuver I pulled at the bathroom came in handy as I had to do it again to loop back around and hop in line.

4568404617_af4c11e495.jpg

Royal trumpeters up on the castle played their trumpety (another word made up by yours truly) tunes every minute or so. Shouts of "WOO!" echoed as we ran through the castle and down the ramp in front. A photographer was situated here and a slight traffic jam ensued, but it was understandable.

23799_515884891985_160400035_30612443_1103859_n.jpg

The course went from here through Liberty Square (mile 6!), Frontierland, and through back lot.

4568405085_23ab5e4073.jpg

4569041958_8135c15082.jpg

4568405529_9bb64a4816.jpg

I passed by a few characters like Jessie from Toy Story and the relatively unknown Clara Belle Cow, but did stop for Peter Pan & Wendy, Aladdin's Genie, and Geppetto. It was neat to have some of the less famous characters as well as the expected Princesses available for pictures. I'd never have guessed that there was even a costume for Geppetto, but it's cool that there is (Pinocchio was one of my favorite movies growing up).

4569042686_dacefa811e.jpg

4569042908_ba39584184.jpg

4569043142_d224d24f80.jpg

I leave for a couple days and I miss out on so much, just getting caught up now...what kind of camera do you have? Im on a massive camera hunt and your pics look like they came out GREAT :goodvibes

Thanks! Right now I have a Canon 7D but back in March I used the Canon 400d which is also known as the XTi. Canon has come out with newer entry level dSLRs since I got my XTi, so I'd recommend any of them. The key is buying a better lens than the kit lens that comes with it!

During the race, I used just a basic Canon point and shoot, the Powershot SD750.

After we left the Magic Kingdom, we began the longest, most boring part of the race. Miles 7-10 took us past the Grand Floridian, the Polynesian, and the backside of the racetrack, before passing a large, but really nicely landscaped golf course.
4568406781_e52a81e41b.jpg

4569043708_91916e50d9.jpg

We were running in the sun now, so if people hadn't shed their warm clothes yet, they were doing it now. I did stop for pictures with Belle and Pocahantas & Meeko (Pocahantas liked my braids!).

4568407355_5764d01e23.jpg

Beast and Provincial Belle were so cute! I loved seeing people running in costume.

4568407629_eb1dd3a23a.jpg

4569044918_736307142e.jpg

4569045344_04dcf45659.jpg

4569045636_2d963e84c8.jpg

A view I saw often when I stopped to lay down and stretch out my piriformis muscle.

4569046120_a9930c24d3.jpg

Only a 5K left!

Oh, and there was that little jaunt to the medical tent for that pesky sciatica. I had to make stretch stops throughout the race to keep it from getting bad, but my body is one of those rebellious types, so by mile 9 I had to take stop for Tylenol. Unfortunately it didn't kick in quite as well I'd hoped, so around mile 11 I was wincing in pain. It was too bad, because I felt really good otherwise; full of energy, and the rest of my body was not too sore (yet).

23799_515884867035_160400035_30612438_7340275_n.jpg

Continuing on, the course went around an on-ramp and up onto an overpass for the home stretch back to Epcot.

4568410487_7f0f27776b.jpg

4569047338_f892d1e59a.jpg

4568411155_56efd54052.jpg

Only two miles to go! I stopped for a quick stretch at a medical tent, and when I looked down I noticed I had a big blood stain on my shoe. Apparently my toe was bleeding and had bled all the way through my sneaker. I actually couldn't feel it, but I figured it was some sort of blister. If anything, I looked like a legit hardcore runner!

4569047994_f53a368623.jpg

When I finally saw the Mile 12 sign, I started to freak out a little bit. I'd believed I could finish the race all along, but when I was just a mile away from the finish about to enter Epcot, it was like wow... I'm totally doing this. I'm going to complete a freakin' half marathon.

4569048506_6b7d7bcf11.jpg

When we emerged from the parking lot and back lot into Epcot itself, volunteers and cast members were cheering and high five-ing us. I'm a big old sap because I felt emotional at this point too.

23799_515884852065_160400035_30612435_6588410_n.jpg

4568412431_d3edcbcc83.jpg

We approached Spaceship Earth then turned right when I saw the wonderful, amazing, beautiful Mile 13 sign. Just around the corner was the finish. As soon as I spotted it, I said "Oh my God" and started sprinting toward it. Making it over the finish line in my first half marathon was one of the best feelings in the world. I had done what I set out to do, and had a fun time doing it, and that's all I could have asked of myself.

23799_515884901965_160400035_30612444_2916274_n.jpg

23799_515884872025_160400035_30612439_276523_n.jpg

I spotted Nan and Grandpa John in the crowd with my mom's cousin Claudia and her husband James. We exchanged hugs, they took pictures; Nan threw me on the phone with my mom really quick because she had gotten the text update of my finish. When I left them, I saw Jon, Jess and Sean. Jon gave me a big huge, Runningham Hug™, and I needed one! I started to hobble away when Jon reminded me about my medal. I almost forgot to get my medal! Our medals are shiny and heavy and gorgeous and I couldn't stop staring at it.

4568413733_3f65a736f9.jpg

4568415107_dd59568052.jpg

23799_515884911945_160400035_30612446_4430335_n.jpg

After this, we wandered around the post-race area, getting our snacks, bags, and bidding farewell to Nan and Grandpa John. We got a group picture with Princess Jasmine before catching the bus to our hotel - sitting for the first time since around 3:30am! Our bus over to the race at 3:45 was standing room only!).

4568414151_979266f4d6.jpg

4568414379_eeafe04f78.jpg

4568415979_e71116fc0d.jpg

I mapped out the course on gmaps if you want to check it out! The course was a little different around the race track than the one on the DPHM website.

(I was so inspired after the race that Jon and I started a running blog called Go Runninghams Go! Our last name will be Cunningham, if you're wondering where "Runningham" came from.)

Just found your trip report and I have to day I'm loving it!!!! Way to go, boy you sure made me feel as a non-runner that it's possible. I love how you stopped for pictures and really enjoyed your experience. I had no idea you could do this, I always thought you had to be super serious totally focused during the race:rotfl2:Love the bathroom story:thumbsup2 Can't wait to hear more. Love, love, love your race medal:love:

Just found your trip report and I have to day I'm loving it!!!! Way to go, boy you sure made me feel as a non-runner that it's possible. I love how you stopped for pictures and really enjoyed your experience. I had no idea you could do this, I always thought you had to be super serious totally focused during the race:rotfl2:Love the bathroom story:thumbsup2 Can't wait to hear more. Love, love, love your race medal:love:

Thanks! It's definitely possible! The most running I had been doing this time last year was... well, none. Actually, a year ago this week, the first week of August, was when I started training. I started by running a half mile down the road and a half mile back. Just one mile. Did that for a few weeks then bumped it up to a mile and a half, then two, etc. I always tell people who want to try to run a half marathon that Disney is going to be the best place to do it. There's lots of entertainment along the way, plenty of chances to stop if you need a break (or even if you don't... I just couldn't pass up character pictures!), and the medals are gorgeous.

Last year, once I decided I was going to do this, I needed all the motivation I could get. I set the wallpaper on my iPhone to be a picture of the first year's finishers medal, and I printed out the logo and taped it to my fridge and posted it to my bulletin board. I even entered all of my training runs into my iCal (in pink, of course) as "Princess Training".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter