• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Real ice cream?

jfeasel

Mouseketeer
Is there any place my dad can get "real" ice cream on the ship? He doesn't like the soft serve kind. I'm not an ice cream nut like he is so I didn't even notice if they served it on our last cruise. Could it be ordered from room service or ordered as a dessert after dinner?

I think only in the sit-down restaurants you would be able to get real ice cream. They have several desserts that include them, e.g., pie ala mode, ice cream sundaes, etc.

Even if it isn't listed, I would ask anyway. If they have it, they'll get it for him!

One night the pie ala mode included a scoop of vanilla ice cream, but another dessert featured butter pecan, so I asked for butter pecan instead of vanilla and our server said "I'll try."

I told my DH that if he wasn't successful, he wasn't trying hard enough because I knew they had it. In minutes, I had my pie with butter pecan ice cream.

All ya gotta do is ask...:D

I am with your Dad on this one. The ice cream parlor named SCOOPS serves yucky soft ice cream now...on our first 2 cruises they had SCOOPable ice cream, sundaes, and other yummy things. You would think they would change the name to Softies or Melting Quickly instead of the misleading SCOOPS....

P.S. Bring back the hard ice cream PLEASE

I remember the old days with REAL ice cream at Scoops. When it first changed over, those of us on the old AOL message boards changed the name to Slops!
They definitely have real ice cream in the diningrooms. I know because I order it all the time. They also have delicious Columbo yogurt on Castaway Cay. It's soft serve, but it's definitely not slop! I sure wish they would have it at Scoops, too.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

The ice cream at sit down meals is simply scrumptious. I asked what brand and Sanjeev checked. He said it was called "Grand" Well everybody makes a "Grand". Online there is a Dreyers (not Breyers) Grand that has a Disney promo on packaging. But it isn't sold in Atlanta area. Don't know if that's the one served.

Vanilla was really good on the side of every dessert. And I had a butter pecan sundae. You could have ice cream in some form every night if you ask.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter