• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ready to throw in the towel!

As best I can tell, I am with you on this one (from reading your previous post).

If DD had the choice of a different vacation experience or to come to Disney but probably not be able to do her 2-3 favorite rides (or wait 80-110 min for Soarin' and TT to do them) she wouldn't want to come. It is a hard thing to explain/grasp/change to.

We just aren't ones who will spend thousands of dollars to be "in a park" and dig the atmosphere while waiting in massive lines.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

This is us, for sure.

We learn about disappointment IRL. Not at $500/day ticket prices. (Big family.)

Lines may be long at SeaWorld/BG, but I'll spend half as much money.

Or we could forgo our week in central FL & get a beach house in NC for a fraction of the cost. My kids consider that on par with WDW.

And I don't apologize for them knowing which rides they like & wanting to experience them multiple times.

I kinda just wanna do I big "I told you so" dance. I saw the "writing on the wall" so to speak in September. Our family was supposed to be staying offsite in Nov. I knew with full roll out to onsite guests, but still no mention of what will be offered to offsiters, it would be a mess. Looks like I was right.

I think the biggest gripe is the lack of communication on Disney's part. They are just acting like this is a "test", even when all signs point to full roll out. They still have not announced how this will all work in the future, when off site will be added (or if they will be), when reg. AP holders get to use, etc. I am not sure if they even know themselves. It seems like Disney is completely figuring this out as they go which is scary. I would have much more confidence if they would just explain what is going on. I am not sure they themselves even know at this point.

I find it ridiculously funny that people called me hysterical or a gloom and doomer because I switched my vacation. 1. Why is it any of your business what I decide to do wit my vacation dollars? If I feel like the experience at Disney will not be what I paid for, what is it to you?

The other funny thing is that people think this is only happening on the Dis. Go read any other board. Same thing is going on.

I just wanted to add: This isn't chump change we are talking about here. My vacation to Disney will end up costing me around $7,500 when it is all said and done. That is with us camping at Disney and eating most of our meals at the camper. Tickets alone for my family are around $2,000. When people say "we should just be happy to be in Disney", I really have to laugh. Disney should be happy we are there for the kind of money we are shelling out, not the other way around. $2000 bucks on tickets, but now you re telling me that any hope of riding the major rides will be a 120min wait in line? Ummm nooo. It wasn't like that 3 years ago when we went during June. Waited all of 20 mins in a FP line at TSM on SWW. That wasn't unreasonable then, why is it magically unreasonable now?

For what Disney charges, yes, I expect to be able to ride my favorites more than once a day and be able to do more than just walk around. I'm paying top dollar to ride rides, not wander around.

Then go during a slower season.

I kinda just wanna do I big "I told you so" dance. I saw the "writing on the wall" so to speak in September. Our family was supposed to be staying offsite in Nov. I knew with full roll out to onsite guests, but still no mention of what will be offered to offsiters, it would be a mess. Looks like I was right.

I think the biggest gripe is the lack of communication on Disney's part. They are just acting like this is a "test", even when all signs point to full roll out. They still have not announced how this will all work in the future, when off site will be added (or if they will be), when reg. AP holders get to use, etc. I am not sure if they even know themselves. It seems like Disney is completely figuring this out as they go which is scary. I would have much more confidence if they would just explain what is going on. I am not sure they themselves even know at this point.

I find it ridiculously funny that people called me hysterical or a gloom and doomer because I switched my vacation. 1. Why is it any of your business what I decide to do wit my vacation dollars? If I feel like the experience at Disney will not be what I paid for, what is it to you?

The other funny thing is that people think this is only happening on the Dis. Go read any other board. Same thing is going on.

Agree with the bolded 100%. I don't WANT to change my ressie from the Swan to on-site, but I almost feel like I really need to with so much "unknown" out there. I'm annoyed to say the least.

Some people don't have that option. And with FP-, busy season was much more manageable for those that have no choice but to travel with things are busy...i.e. when school is out.

It isn't always that simple. Right now, FPs are running out before 10am on a "slow season". What do you think is gonna happen during a peak season?

I, for one, cannot pull my children out of school for vacations. Indiana law prohibits it. I can actually be taken to Family court over it.

Seven unexcused absences: Contact parent by mailing the Habitual Truant letter. The school will file a
Delinquency Affidavit with the Status Offender Court Alternative Program (SOCAP). Notification is also
sent to the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles.A school may file for an expulsion and a recommendation may be
made for placement in an alternative program if other options are not successful in resolving the situation

It isn't always that simple. Right now, FPs are running out before 10am on a "slow season". What do you think is gonna happen during a peak season? I, for one, cannot pull my children out of school for vacations. Indiana law prohibits it. I can actually be taken to Family court over it. Seven unexcused absences: Contact parent by mailing the Habitual Truant letter. The school will file a Delinquency Affidavit with the Status Offender Court Alternative Program (SOCAP). Notification is also sent to the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles.A school may file for an expulsion and a recommendation may be made for placement in an alternative program if other options are not successful in resolving the situation

You must have failed to keep reading......

" 5. The governing body of a school corporation may authorize the absence and excuse of a student who attends any educationally related nonclassroom activity."

Educational trip request form. Then it's not an unlawful absence, it's an excused one.

We recently did a last minute weekend trip to Disney. So last minute we could not get a room on property! That has never happened to us before. We were there at park opening and got to do everything we wanted to do without any FPs and that was MK! We were done by 2!! So, don't give up and have a plan!

You must have failed to keep reading...... " 5. The governing body of a school corporation may authorize the absence and excuse of a student who attends any educationally related nonclassroom activity." Educational trip request form. Then it's not an unlawful absence, it's an excused one.
If your school buys the myth that a trip to Disney is primarily an educational trip. Mine doesn't.

You must have failed to keep reading......

" 5. The governing body of a school corporation may authorize the absence and excuse of a student who attends any educationally related nonclassroom activity."

Educational trip request form. Then it's not an unlawful absence, it's an excused one.

So, you read this from my school handbook that says family vacations are not excused absences? Also, you sat in the conversation with our school principal I just had where she stated in no way Disney is considered educational and wouldn't approve it?!?! Uh huh. Okay. Right.

When I was deciding when our next Disney trip would be FP+ did come into play. I decided to go next year hoping that all of the kinks are worked out. August 2014. If it's still a hot mess at that time I will cancel the trip and go somewhere else. We were already thinking of doing Puerto Rico, DR or Cancun.

My kids do not know about the trip and I never tell them until the day we leave. I wouldn't want something major to come up money wise and then tell them we can't go.

We only get one major family trip a year. We go to Disney to once every 2-3 years. We like to go to other major destinations. So if I'm spending close to $7000 for a trip to Disney I want to get my moneys worth. And to me that is riding headliners multiple times during a 10-11 day trip.

When exactly would that be? It's Disney's goal, understandably, to make sure the parks are packed at all times of the year and they seem to be succeeding. Even during a true January slow season several years ago, we ran into several huge international tour groups at DHS one day.

If it makes anyone feel better, the same defensiveness happens on other message boards, for example cruiseline boards -- People have legitimate complaint about their trips, concerns about upcoming trips, or negative opinions about big changes, and others insist they stop being so negative and realize that a day on the cruise ship is better than one at the office. As if that means you don't have a right to say a negative word about a vacation for which you are spending thousands of your hard-earned money, merely because some people do not want to believe that their favorite corporation can make a mistake. :confused3 Negative feedback is helpful for others to be prepared, and, if this is truly a test, it's helpful for the company to have some idea how they are being perceived by their customers. Not to mention, we all need to vent from time to time and a get a little support from people who understand that we are upset in part because we are so passionate about Disney. :grouphug:

I thought I needed to calm down and take a break. I have been away from the boards this past weekend. I feel less anxious now about my upcoming June trip and not as upset about this FP+. But if I was going this year I would be very annoyed. I understand why some ppl are ticked off cuz I would be as well. Its not that easy to just switch hotel rooms or change destinations. So best of luck to all 2013 travelers.

You know, I am under no illusion that Disney "does no wrong". It is a business run by humans that will and do make mistakes. I do not think that Disney is perfect nor do I think that every trip is perfect.

But, I do see here a whole lot of people that really do sound like the sky is falling all over WDW.

I can see being concerned and trying to figure out "is there a way for us to still do this" but I can't see really wanting to do Disney and changing my mind for a fast pass. Now, if I or my children didn't have our hearts set on Disney and were just as happy doing something else then ok maybe I would at least wait until all of this is sorted out but I certainly wouldn't change something I really wanted to do for this.

DD loves RnRC. Its her favorite ride period--including the big coasters at Six Flags in Texas and a few other coasters she has ridden. She would be disappointed if she couldn't ride it. Sooo, my plans for June will be done in a way to figure out how to get her on that ride more than once or twice. AM EMH, PM EMH, FP+ and rope drop will be ways to do that.

I am guessing that what I will do is tell my family upfront--Ok, Disney may be a little different this time around. And us plan together how to do our trip. If truly no one was happy with the plans we would have to make, then we would have to rethink our trip but I don't see that happening.

Those that keep saying its a lot of money, it is a lot of money. And while I understand your wanting this to be right before you spend that much, I don't understand the assumption that it will be bad. If you truly do not feel you have well spent your money with all the thousand of things to do in a park besides the one or two headliners that you would have fastpassed anyway, then you are right, you should go somewhere else. I mean what if you got there and all 3 mountains in the MK were broke down?

Like I said on another thread, up until this trip we have always done Disney at Thanksgiving and once for a quick weekend in April. I plan the days by the "least crowded park day" as I am sure most of you do, head to the biggies at rope drop and we might grab fast passes and we might not. Too many times the return times didn't work out for us anyway. Most of the time its just easier to go back to the ride at a time when the line will be a bit shorter.

Maybe some of you don't park hop at all but if you do, seems like FP+ would be great for that. Start out at rope drop or with AM EMH in one park--ride whatever before the lines get long in the standby line. Take a break, eat lunch, whatever and hop to another park and use the fast passes you have already set up.

Some of you don't stay in Disney resorts, and your frustration I completely understand. No EMH and no FP+, but if its already been stated that it WILL be available to off site guests; why worry? I just don't see a business wanting to cut off a main customer base and lets face it, a great deal of people that visit Disney every year do not even consider staying on site.

I realize there are some that are going to say "but we could ride X 15 times in one day with fast pass and we just don't want to do it any other way". So, are you saying that without fast pass, you would have never started going to Disney? You are only there for 2 or 3 rides in each park?

I just keep seeing these threads from the view point of a first time visitor and I would venture to guess that more than a few have cancelled any thought of going to Disney simply because of the negativity they are reading.

You know, I am under no illusion that Disney "does no wrong". It is a business run by humans that will and do make mistakes. I do not think that Disney is perfect nor do I think that every trip is perfect.

But, I do see here a whole lot of people that really do sound like the sky is falling all over WDW.

I can see being concerned and trying to figure out "is there a way for us to still do this" but I can't see really wanting to do Disney and changing my mind for a fast pass. Now, if I or my children didn't have our hearts set on Disney and were just as happy doing something else then ok maybe I would at least wait until all of this is sorted out but I certainly wouldn't change something I really wanted to do for this.

DD loves RnRC. Its her favorite ride period--including the big coasters at Six Flags in Texas and a few other coasters she has ridden. She would be disappointed if she couldn't ride it. Sooo, my plans for June will be done in a way to figure out how to get her on that ride more than once or twice. AM EMH, PM EMH, FP+ and rope drop will be ways to do that.

I am guessing that what I will do is tell my family upfront--Ok, Disney may be a little different this time around. And us plan together how to do our trip. If truly no one was happy with the plans we would have to make, then we would have to rethink our trip but I don't see that happening.

Those that keep saying its a lot of money, it is a lot of money. And while I understand your wanting this to be right before you spend that much, I don't understand the assumption that it will be bad. If you truly do not feel you have well spent your money with all the thousand of things to do in a park besides the one or two headliners that you would have fastpassed anyway, then you are right, you should go somewhere else. I mean what if you got there and all 3 mountains in the MK were broke down?

Like I said on another thread, up until this trip we have always done Disney at Thanksgiving and once for a quick weekend in April. I plan the days by the "least crowded park day" as I am sure most of you do, head to the biggies at rope drop and we might grab fast passes and we might not. Too many times the return times didn't work out for us anyway. Most of the time its just easier to go back to the ride at a time when the line will be a bit shorter.

Maybe some of you don't park hop at all but if you do, seems like FP+ would be great for that. Start out at rope drop or with AM EMH in one park--ride whatever before the lines get long in the standby line. Take a break, eat lunch, whatever and hop to another park and use the fast passes you have already set up.

Some of you don't stay in Disney resorts, and your frustration I completely understand. No EMH and no FP+, but if its already been stated that it WILL be available to off site guests; why worry? I just don't see a business wanting to cut off a main customer base and lets face it, a great deal of people that visit Disney every year do not even consider staying on site.

I realize there are some that are going to say "but we could ride X 15 times in one day with fast pass and we just don't want to do it any other way". So, are you saying that without fast pass, you would have never started going to Disney? You are only there for 2 or 3 rides in each park?

I just keep seeing these threads from the view point of a first time visitor and I would venture to guess that more than a few have cancelled any thought of going to Disney simply because of the negativity they are reading.

Applause...:worship:

Because I leave in a little over a month and don't know if, at that time, as an offsite guest, I'll be eligible for FP+. Now I've been told that FP- will still be in play, but it seems availability for those are getting slimmer & slimmer. For me, it's the lack of official info that bugs me. Like you said, Disney knows a huge portion of their customers are off site guests, so why not throw us a bone and let us know WHEN we will be able to use the system so we can plan our trips accordingly as well :confused3

Because I leave in a little over a month and don't know if, at that time, as an offsite guest, I'll be eligible for FP+. Now I've been told that FP- will still be in play, but it seems availability for those are getting slimmer & slimmer. For me, it's the lack of official info that bugs me. Like you said, Disney knows a huge portion of their customers are off site guests, so why not throw us a bone and let us know WHEN we will be able to use the system so we can plan our trips accordingly as well :confused3
Exactly. We'll be there in December and this possibility that offsite visitors be getting FP+ eventually means nothing right now.

Now see, I get your frustration completely. Its the not knowing that is bugging you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter