• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Ready SIM?

meldud

Mouseketeer
Hiya,

I am trying to work out the best way to use our phones out in Florida.

All 4 of us have iPhones and we used the Three sim last year for hubby's phone, but you only get 3G in the US, which meant that my impatient husband kept telling me his phone was broken........
Patience is not easy to come by in our household with hubby and 2 teenagers, lol.

I was planning to use Three sims for each of us at £20 each for a month. We are only going to the USA for 2 weeks.
But then thought to look into tariffs for US sim cards, but the costs seem quite high for pay as you go for those? Any thoughts on a good company to look into? Perhaps somewhere where you can order a sim card online and activate it before we go, ready to use?

Last option I can think of, is this company http://www.readysim.com/shop.html who seem to be selling temporary sim cards for 1,2, 3 or 4 week holidays. Has anyone any previous experience of them?
TIA.

I haven't got experience in the Ready Sims, but I saw today that Three have a new PAYG sim with 200mb per month without having to top up.

With Wifi at Disney and Universal, I personally don't see the need for lots of data!

I've just today ordered us Three sims for our trip. Planning on using wi-fi most of the time so fingers crossed it should be fine.

I actually prefer to leave my phone in the room on holidays but I guess MDE puts a stop to that!

I've just today ordered us Three sims for our trip. Planning on using wi-fi most of the time so fingers crossed it should be fine.

I actually prefer to leave my phone in the room on holidays but I guess MDE puts a stop to that!

Mu hubby needs his for work as he runs his own business and is needed every now and then for advice while we are away, so he needs to be able to call or text the UK. The rest of us don't need much other than Wifi.
We found being offsite last year a pain as the Sheraton Vistana Villages wifi was shocking. Hubby's "3" sim was only 3G, so didn't work well in the US. We thought a good compromise would be a US sim card for him.
But as we can contact each other if we all had a 3 sim card and dial them as if dialling the UK. Our kids will be 15 and 16, so we wanted to give them more freedom, but have a way to contact us if they needed to.

Mu hubby needs his for work as he runs his own business and is needed every now and then for advice while we are away, so he needs to be able to call or text the UK. The rest of us don't need much other than Wifi.
We found being offsite last year a pain as the Sheraton Vistana Villages wifi was shocking. Hubby's "3" sim was only 3G, so didn't work well in the US. We thought a good compromise would be a US sim card for him.
But as we can contact each other if we all had a 3 sim card and dial them as if dialling the UK. Our kids will be 15 and 16, so we wanted to give them more freedom, but have a way to contact us if they needed to.

In that case have you even had a look on Ebay for a US sim card?

We have used http://simcardguru.co.uk for our last 4 or 5 trips to the US. We usually take spare unlocked phones with us to use the US SIM cards in. We have never had any issues. The one time I thought I had a problem he was super quick to help me sort it, though it turned out there wasn't actually a problem (hard to explain). Just that customer service is excellent. The plans are all unlimited talk and text, and a good amount of data.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter