• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ready, Set, Let the Games Begin! - Link to new PTR/TR!

Ha! I know! We're actually getting out more than I am comfortable with, but this is my XXth reunion. I think you had the same one last year, not sure why you beat me to it, but maybe you moved ahead in your transfer from school to school.

I haven't been to one since the 10th so I'm looking forward to it. Lots of potential shock factor! :rotfl2: At the 10th, I was married to a man, so looking forward to showing up with Fran. She's far better than the man I showed up with X amount of years ago! :lmao:

Although it seems as though it will be a fairly casual event, no dinner, just a gathering at a bar, I have to try and confirm the whole thing, it was all coordinated by facebook.

I'm going to be waiting for this update. :thumbsup2

My first "date" okay not really one parent dropped us at the movie and another picked us up (and we were only 10 y/o) we saw "Goldfinger" boy all the memories of that movie came flooding back when I saw that one lying on the bed :rotfl2: "Jimmy" thought he was my boyfriend

Some unique looking costumes for the party, looks like it was alot of fun

Now when you mentioned the next years theme is 1962 Got me thinking I was 8 yrs old and I remember a lot going on, so I did a search

When you scroll down past the world events and get to Pop Culture I can think of so many things that can be done with 1962 It could really be quite awesome depending on what is picked and how they do it :thumbsup2

(AND Wal_Mart opened the 1st store that year LOVE it !!)

http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/1962.html

and YES I too remember "What's My Line ? " :) can't remember what I did 2 days ago, but decades ago no problem !

I just can't read your report before bed; it makes my stomach growl. ;)

What's with the gold mannequin in the bed? :confused3

That's the dead girl from Goldfinger. She was coated in gold and it suffocated her....but at least she had a night with Sean Connery first. :)

Jill in CO

Here is the TR6 ( classic British car ) that friend is restoring...

From this

48862f2dc44545df87072a55fd876515_zpsd6fd75e5.jpg

To this

0a11a3616cb2d2f152993e3bc38fc968_zpsa80901f4.jpg

A lot of blood swear and tears and much more money than he ever imagined! Cool though :-) me my dream is the buy the end product after somebody already did it and attend events like you guys! They would call me here a fair weather enthusiast lol.

Hope you had a good day!

Thanks for explaining about the chapter. Also 100 pp is very good. I know what you mean though taking up a hobby and realising other members are really loaded as we say here ( have lots of cash to spare ) . Trying to keep up is hard without appearing mean!

As I don't drink and Jo drives so doesn't drink when out the amount of times we have had to split a bill with folks that ordered champagne and spirits plus the most expensive item on the menu etc. We had soda's a moderate meal and I feel my whole weekly allowance disappearing fast! But I am always too embarrassed to say anything!

A friend of ours is restoring an old car. It's beautiful. I will ask for a photo. A british Triumph TR6 I think. Not all finished yet but working in progress!

Looking forward to hearing what you are up to on Moonraker today.

Paula x

I think that's awful if they don't pick up the tab for their own adult beverages, believe me, if we meet up and end up at a place where you are drinking coffee or soft drinks, I will pick up the tab for the adult beverages, in fact Fran usually just picks up the tab for whatever. Regardless who is there.

I'm going to be waiting for this update. :thumbsup2

Next update will be the car show.

Gaps in your memory. .. glad it is not only me who does that....

:rolleyes1

Count this old fogie in that club! ::yes::

:rolleyes1 :rolleyes1

My first "date" okay not really one parent dropped us at the movie and another picked us up (and we were only 10 y/o) we saw "Goldfinger" boy all the memories of that movie came flooding back when I saw that one lying on the bed :rotfl2: "Jimmy" thought he was my boyfriend

Some unique looking costumes for the party, looks like it was alot of fun

Now when you mentioned the next years theme is 1962 Got me thinking I was 8 yrs old and I remember a lot going on, so I did a search

When you scroll down past the world events and get to Pop Culture I can think of so many things that can be done with 1962 It could really be quite awesome depending on what is picked and how they do it :thumbsup2

(AND Wal_Mart opened the 1st store that year LOVE it !!)

http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/1962.html

and YES I too remember "What's My Line ? " :) can't remember what I did 2 days ago, but decades ago no problem !

My first date was "Heaven Can Wait" with Warren Beatty. His parents dropped us off and picked us up. Probably a bit later than Goldfinger, in fact (and I'm not trying to rub it in), but I think there were probably at least 3-4 James Bonds since then. Not sure if Roger Moore was the Bond by then.

That's the dead girl from Goldfinger. She was coated in gold and it suffocated her....but at least she had a night with Sean Connery first. :)

Jill in CO

They even had cans of whatever that were labeled with Goldfinger's special paint that you could have purchased on Sunday. The ones on the table next to the girl.

Fran sounds very generous! Jo and I are too which is why we end up never saying anything re the bill!

Hope you are both ok with the heat. Is it hot in Cali at the moment? Here in England it reached almost 90 degrees in the home counties ( counties surrounding London ) . Poor Kate having a royal baby any moment!

Alison when you travel do you take scooters with you if so how do you have a trailer?

Here is the TR6 ( classic British car ) that friend is restoring...

To this

0a11a3616cb2d2f152993e3bc38fc968_zpsa80901f4.jpg

A lot of blood swear and tears and much more money than he ever imagined! Cool though :-) me my dream is the buy the end product after somebody already did it and attend events like you guys! They would call me here a fair weather enthusiast lol.

Hope you had a good day!

WOW! GReat job.

Truer words were never spoken! And they are never finished.

Jill in CO

Ain't that the truth!

Fran sounds very generous! Jo and I are too which is why we end up never saying anything re the bill!

Hope you are both ok with the heat. Is it hot in Cali at the moment? Here in England it reached almost 90 degrees in the home counties ( counties surrounding London ) . Poor Kate having a royal baby any moment!

Alison when you travel do you take scooters with you if so how do you have a trailer?

Fran is very generous. I hope you two are surviving the heat! We have a lift on the back of our SUV. But even so, the scooters disassemble into four small pieces that can easily be put in the back of an SUV or the trunk of a car.

One trip to WDW, we got three scooters in the car.

WOW! GReat job.

::yes::

Saturday was the day of the car show.

Since cars needed to be in place by 8AM, we figured that most of the breakfast rush would have been early, so we took our time going down to breakfast. I decided that I better start eating a little bit better today if I didn’t want to be scared to death to get on the scale next week!

Here was my breakfast of champions.

And I did squeeze in a little French Toast and sausage. Turns out it was stuffed with bananas which turned me off completely. So I didn’t eat much of it.

Fran still had her whole nine yards.

At the car show, we were the judges (meaning the attendees of the event). Here were the ballots for the various categories.

As we got ready to head down to the car show in the parking lot, I took these shots out our window.

These were the only two entrants in Class A Pre 1950. Though I voted for the Buick, the Model A won this category. I think though that the Buick won for Favorite Original. It was his Great Grandmother’s car that she bought new in 1948, she gave it to her daughter who gave it to the current owner.

Here are some of the cars in the Pre Cold War category. 1950-1960

I voted for this one for the winner in that category, plus favorite interior and favorite color. I don’t think it won any of them. I can’t remember which car won the category, but I think it might have been the red Thunderbird.

Here are a couple in the Cold War Open category 1961-1965. Fran is still back looking at the Pre Cold War cars.

This car is the model year after our Lincoln. I believe it won in it’s category, and I think it won another category as well.

Then we moved on to Cold War Closed 1961-1965. Another Lincoln. Part of me was sad that we didn’t bring our Lincoln and also glad, there were a ton of Lincolns.

This little car was really cute too.

A couple of Thunderbirds.

Now this car belonged to Jon and his partner Claude. At first everyone was very concerned about the smoke that was pouring out of it, but being the jokesters that were, it was a smoke machine!

The next category was Thunderball Open 1966-1970

This car would have been competition for us as it was the year and make, personally I like our car better. We did meet the owner of this car during Happy Hour that night and we had a nice chat comparing Cougar notes.

[Continued in Next Post]

[Continued from Previous Post]

The next category was Thunderball Closed 1966-1970. There was this pair of Cadillacs.

Now I do have to interject this. Our hotel was in a big shopping center parking lot. Next to the hotel was a Staples, Bed, Bath and Beyond, farther up there was a Dollar Tree in the parking lot just behind the hotel, there was a Sears, Kohl’s, Ralph’s all kinds of big stores, and just in front of the Staples there was a Farmer’s Market going on until about 11AM. It was pretty funny to see all the people who happened to come down for the Farmer’s Market that ended up visiting our little “car show”. OK, back to the regularly scheduled programming.

I think this is where we moved to the cars from 1971-1980. We voted for the red one on the end and I'm pretty sure that it won the category.

Then there were the 1980 and newer cars, which really weren’t that interesting. Except for the few that were cleverly staged.

At this point we had walked around the parking lot for well over an hour. Fran was very smart and since we had the big SUV she had me throw our picnic chairs in the back. I grabbed them out of the car and we found a spot in the shade to sit down and have a drink of water and soda. We were sitting near these two cars.

After listening to the car “do it’s spiel” I decided to go and take a movie of it on my phone. It wasn’t clear to me if they guy demonstrating the car would play the various sequences or if the car just did it at random.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJBuGZYwwxI

After our 20-30 minute break, we decided to check out the rest of the cars. I didn’t take any pictures of the British Sports car category, but here are some of the British Luxury Cars.

This was the display from the poor guys who lost their car.

This is the one that I voted for in the Best Presentation Display category. I’m not sure if you can make out the bullet holes in the side of the car.

Here are a few more random shots of cars which I think were in the Favorite Bond Cars categories

And with that we wrapped up our viewing of the car show. We had been walking around over two hours (including our little break), so we packed up our chairs and decided to head out to find some lunch.

Wow! Some really nice cars (I saw that Mustang...looks a lot like mine but that looked like a '65).

Jill in CO

That cherry red pre Cold War convertible is gorgeous. Like wow! My father was a car junkie, nothing really special, but loved to tinker and restore some.

Looks like a really neat event.

The town that Michael works for is small, maybe 70,000 people but they have these really neat and crowded little car shows. I can't believe how packed they get.

What a fun event! Really makes me wonder if my FIL and his wife went....right up their alley and not a horrendous trip (Los Gatos). They do a fair amount of shows. Some gorgeous cars, the boys would love that and I got a kick out of the theming!

Wow! Some really nice cars (I saw that Mustang...looks a lot like mine but that looked like a '65).

Jill in CO

What year is yours?

That cherry red pre Cold War convertible is gorgeous. Like wow! My father was a car junkie, nothing really special, but loved to tinker and restore some.

Looks like a really neat event.

The town that Michael works for is small, maybe 70,000 people but they have these really neat and crowded little car shows. I can't believe how packed they get.

This is a pretty incognito event. Since it's a gay thing, I'm not sure that they really advertise it at all. It's mostly for us and our members, the fact that others show up and enjoy is just a fact of life.

What a fun event! Really makes me wonder if my FIL and his wife went....right up their alley and not a horrendous trip (Los Gatos). They do a fair amount of shows. Some gorgeous cars, the boys would love that and I got a kick out of the theming!

As I mentioned above, this is a mostly gay car club, there are quite a few straight couples who are members because they know how much fun us queers can be. I talked to at least two or three couples, one of which told me that for 35 years they enjoyed two Manhattans before dinner every night. They were very cute.

The club is called Great Autos of Yesteryear (see the acronym) and up in the Bay Area it is the Freewheelers. This one is the big event of the year, there are other small ones, but this one is the biggie for the club. I am looking forward to next year and we will have three cars ready to go incase one, or two crap out on the days before. We will also start running them through the mechanic a month before.

The theme is 1962, so I see the 1963 Lincoln as a possibility for "the new year", the 59 Ranchero just because it was before 1962 and maybe the 1936 Auburn since it was before 1962. All our other cards are 1968, 1970, 1973 and Cougars. I hope Fran doesn't buy any other cars between now and then so I guess those are our choices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter