• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

READ POST 1 & 2 FIRST-Rise of the Resistance Boarding Group Planning and Information-*No Spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are back at Pop (we love the resort!). Relaxing, watching Big Hero 6: The Series before our BG gets called. We were surprised how many people didn’t know about the BG process, many of them coming in at 7:30am who were planning to just stand in line were NOT happy when they realized there is no physical line.

On another note, MFSR seemed very popular this morning. 180 minute posted wait by 7:30. We did it at the end of the night on Christmas Day and only waited 25 minutes.

Parking lot at 505
No problems with security and the taps. In park by 530.
Had two phones - One on LTE, other on Disney Wifi. Had the app open on the LTE, closed on Wifi. As soon as it turned red at 601, I immediately open the app on the Wifi one. Got BG 17 which is nice. Maybe opening the app fresh on Wifi helped???
Rode Tot and RnRC and then jumped over to AK to ride FoP at RD + EE and Dinosaur. Got called at 818 so we took our time to make it back to HS. Got in the Rise queue about 945. Excited!

To be fair, BGs have closed after 8am every day before today, and they have been getting through all BGs with time to spare. Today they closed at least an hour earlier, and at least an hour delay in opening. Bad combo.

Please, please, please, everyone, stop posting on this thread anything that you think might even remotely be a spoiler. There are several other RotR threads where you can freely talk about your experience.

This thread is meant to give information about BGs, when to arrive, tapping in, how to find a CM, etc., not to post information, recollections, and reviews about the experience itself.

As someone who assiduously avoided spoilers before riding, I am pleading with you. Not everyone in the universe knows what happens on this ride and the surprises are a fabulous part of one's initial exposure to it.

I'm not citing any specific posts, because then I'd be pointing to these spoilers.

And thank you.

Just curious, what time at night do they stop calling BGs? (Assuming they don’t run out which seems likely today)

As expected, 7am DHS openings have been extended through January 11.

This is a minor bummer for my DD and her BF who will be there on Jan 7th. They are twenty-somethings and were happy with the originally planned later opening at 8:00. They’ve got a late dinner planned at yachtsman the night before and were looking forward to the “later” opening. Having to get there at 6:30 feels a lot earlier than 7:30.

Looking for feedback on proposed plan below. We have a "multi-family" vacation coming up for MLK week. Hitting DHS on MLK day (ya, not the best day to go but best day to work with everyone else). We have done Disney before with kids so really our only "have to do's" are the new things that were not there during last visit and SWGE as we are all HUGE SW fans!

We are doing park hoppers for two day as we are cramming in Universal, Kennedy...etc. So, DHS day looks like this:
Below are the attractions we want to do with the list of FP's/reservation I was able to get. Hoping to leave park about 2pm for Epcot. Here is my question... can we get this done before 2pm or do we need to add on another park hopper day?
  • Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge - want to be able to walk around and "take it in a bit"
  • Slinky Dog Dash – FastPass 8:30am – 9:30am
  • Star Tours - FastPass 9:50 – 10:50am
  • Oga’s Cantina Reservation at 11:05am
  • Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run
  • Rise of the Resistance - whatever BG we can get!
  • Tower of Terror
Since you wont be there in the evening, I would rope drop smugglers run since the line could be 1-2 hours by late morning. Then, if you dont mind walking, do tower of terror right afterwards. Your SDD fastpass will be good until 945am. For MLK weekend, they might open up HS earlier, so you can take advantage of that. Then, you can easily get everything done way before 2pm. Plenty of time to walk around GE.

This is a minor bummer for my DD and her BF who will be there on Jan 7th. They are twenty-somethings and were happy with the originally planned later opening at 8:00. They’ve got a late dinner planned at yachtsman the night before and were looking forward to the “later” opening. Having to get there at 6:30 feels a lot earlier than 7:30.

I kinda feel the same way. My daughter (10) and I (42) will be going in late February for mostly a Universal Studios (Orlando Informer Meetup) visit. We're adding on a Hollywood Studio day to see the new Star Wars land/rides. Right now its scheduled to open at 9am, which is just fine with me since we'll be up until 130am at Universal. Hopefully it won't get changed to open much earlier. I'm not sure I can get my daughter up at the butt-crack of dawn.

Also, just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the info they are posting! Do some people/families just show up at the parks without knowing about Boarding Groups, early lines, etc? Their initial disappointment when they arrive must be sky high.

I'm a little confused as I'm reading conflicting reports on how/when the greyed out "Join Boarding Group" link turns red. Some reports indicate to leave the app on and it turns red automatically. Others are saying you have to close out the app, then reopen. Still others say you have to refresh the app. We'll be there next week so just want to be prepared. Also, I have an Iphone so closing out the app would be swiping it out, then reopening it. How are you refreshing it? TIA!!

Do some people/families just show up at the parks without knowing about Boarding Groups, early lines, etc?
Yes, they do. At a little before 6a yesterday, a family stopped a regular CM to ask what they needed to do to ride RotR. The CM explained My Disney Experience and the mother asked if she could get the app through the App Store!

All I was thinking was,“It’s not quite 6a and I’m hearing questions that I usually only ‘hear’ on TPAS. Why did the regular non-GET CM have to stand near me???” 😂

I'm a little confused as I'm reading conflicting reports on how/when the greyed out "Join Boarding Group" link turns red. Some reports indicate to leave the app on and it turns red automatically. Others are saying you have to close out the app, then reopen. Still others say you have to refresh the app. We'll be there next week so just want to be prepared. Also, I have an Iphone so closing out the app would be swiping it out, then reopening it. How are you refreshing it? TIA!!
Several different strategies. I have an android, so your steps may be slightly different. When you open MDE there is a find out more button under ROTR BG box. When. You press that it brings you to a screen with 2 buttons. Join a BG and My Status. You can back out to home at this point and keep hitting the find out more button to refresh the button. You can hit the my status button and that brings you to another screen with join BG. You can also close out app and reopen continuously.
Personally I hit my status...then back out and repeat until one of the Join BG buttons lights up.

Yes, they do. At a little before 6a yesterday, a family stopped a regular CM to ask what they needed to do to ride RotR. The CM explained My Disney Experience and the mother asked if she could get the app through the App Store!

All I was thinking was,“It’s not quite 6a and I’m hearing questions that I usually only ‘hear’ on TPAS. Why did the regular non-GET CM have to stand near me???” 😂
Hah! Last year I stood in a standby line for TSM--I had a FP+ for an hour later and wanted to do it twice, so, what the heck--and the family in front of me, even though they were staying onsite and even though they had DMX on their phones, had zero idea that (a) they could've booked FP+s 60 days in advance or (b) that they could book FP+s at all. They thought FP+ was something that maybe you had to pay for, they weren't really sure. I gave them a mini course in how it works. So it's no surprise that you encountered this yesterday.

what is a realistic time to get to Hollywood studios and still get a boarding group? I am seeing photos on websites of people lining up at 5 AM, is that really necessary? We are going to be there the seventh, eighth and ninth

Any updated experience with the bags vs. no-bags security queues? I plan to come next month with no bags, but is it important to stay alert for just-opened security queues that you can quickly scoot over to? Someone mentioned upthread that on one day at least, there was a huge mass of people waiting for security and it wasn't entirely clear what was going on. (Or maybe it was the tapstiles....memory has faded.)

what is a realistic time to get to Hollywood studios and still get a boarding group? I am seeing photos on websites of people lining up at 5 AM, is that really necessary? We are going to be there the seventh, eighth and ninth
Arrive anywhere between an hour before opening to 30 minutes after opening. If you are planning on a BG, your complete party must be in the park when you attempt to join a BG.

Best suggestion. Be at DHS 30 to 45 minutes before opening. Be inside and ready at park opening. Next best be in park 30 to 60 minutes after opening and get high BP, possibly stand by.

Why second guess yourself to get an extra 30 to 60 minutes of sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter