• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

?? re occupancy at Animal Kingdom Lodge

disneyfirsttimer

Earning My Ears
A friend of ours is a Disney Vacation Club member and is going to sell us a week at Disney this fall. We can buy up to 150 points and see we can spend 5 nights at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Our only 'problem' is that there are 5 of us and it says that we can only have 4 in the room. Our youngest daugher is 4 and has no problem sharing the bed with my husband and myself. Our other children are 10 and 12. My question is...how strict is Disney regarding their occupancy? The five of us have stayed in standard motel rooms many times without difficulty so that is why we feel we'd 'fit' fine at Disney. Do they spot check to see how many are in a room? Do we all have to check in together?

Lots of varying opinions on this, I won't even get into it. But I can tell you that the rooms are small. 2 queen beds & not much room to move around.

Besides that, staying at a regular Disney resort is generally a bad use of points. It looks like a pool view (not even animal view!) room in october is ~30 points per night. For fewer points than that, you could have a HUGE 2 bedroom at Old Key West! I know they're very different resorts, but it would be a good idea to learn about DVC a bit before you take the plunge into renting points. I'm sure your friends are just trying to help out, but you have a ton of options besides AKL! You'll find lots of helpful people here & also on the Resorts board. :)

Also, depending on when you're going, there are frequently discounted room rates available at the AKL (& other resorts). In the Fall a standard (parking lot) view room was as low as $110. Savannah or pool view are more, of course.

Also, there are larger rooms available that allow 5. These Deluxe rooms are more money/more points.

Good luck with your decisions! :)

You can bacically get a 2 BR at a DVC resort for what it costs to get an AKL room through DVC and I think you would enjoy this much more in the long run. You'll likely be better off with cash for AKL. Good luck.

As far as room occupancy goes, those AK rooms are listed at 4 but Disney is usually fairly loose on that and will allow 5. However, I agree with the above (a) those rooms are too small for 5 to be comfortable; and (b) don't, repeat, don't rent points to stay at AKL -- get the larger room at a DVC resort.

There are often discounts for rooms at AKL for like $109 or $119 a night, check mousesavers.com.

If you are going for the atmosphere try the WL villas. You get the same feel and you will have more room for your $. We really like the WL because you have the boat to the Magic Kingdom. We recently stayed at the AKL and loved it, but for kids it is a little far from the parks if you don't have a rental car. I would stay there again, but with DVC points I would go for one of the DVC resorts. The BC is new and close to Epcot.

Go to the following web site and you can check out points for specific dates

http://www.wdwinfo.com/resort/dvcpoint.cfm

Good Luck

I agree with the previous posters, DON'T rent points from a DVC member to stay at a non-DVC hotel. If that person is charging you the going rate of $10 per point, for a week at AKL in a standard room that's of $$$. You'll be overpaying by at least $500 more than rack rate, which you can get by just calling 1-407-wdw-disney. There are usually code rates, which are around 40% off rack rate, which would save you a bundle. Disney won't spot check to see how many people you have in a room, but your youngest child also won't have an id card. If you're planning on buying LOS passes, you won't be able to buy one for your 4 year old, who does need a pass. The standard rooms at AKL are VERY SMALL, since it's a deluxe resort, there are two queen beds, and not room for much else. In my opinion, you'll be extremely cramped. Take the money you could save by not renting points, and book through CRO and get a deluxe room. Everyone will have room to sleep, and if a code rate becomes available, you'll dave MUCH more money in the long run. As a DVC member, one think you learn is to not use your points for non DVC hotels. You just do not get good value for your $$$ that way. I'm sure your friend is just trying to be helpful, but if you do rent points from a DVC member, use them for DVC accomdations, not a WDW hotel. In the end, you'll pay MUCH more than you would by booking the hotel yourself.

If you are cosidering renting dvc points you should really consider staying at a dvc resort. I've rented from members many times and have saved very much money doing it this way. I recommend splitting your stay between a dvc resort and AKL you will love the DVC resorts which have kitchens and the extra room. We are a family of 5 and we need to have additional space.

Good Luck,
Darlene

While I have only stayed at AKL with just one other person in the room, I think that you'd be okay with 5 people. I know the rooms are tiny, but they aren't that bad, and the hotel is beautiful. I've stayed in the All Stars and the Polynesian with 3 other adults and I didn't really notice a huge difference between the amount of space we had. If 4 adults can manage in the All Stars, then I think 2 adults and 3 kids will be fine in AKL, especially if you've been fine in motel rooms. They also have bunk beds in some rooms which your kids might like. As to whether it would be better to rent DVC points or just pay cash for the room I guess would depend on how much you're going to pay or the points and how cheap your rate would be if you paid for the room. As much as I love the Boardwalk area, I think your kids will like seeing the animals more at AKL than the Boardwalk area. Even if you don't get savannah view there are so many places you can go to look at the animals so you won't feel like you're missing out. I know the DVC resorts are beautiful and have a lot to offer, especially in terms of value for points, but I think the Animal Kingdom Lodge would be a more enjoyable place to stay if you're not worried about lots of space--after all, you'll only be there to sleep. Just be sure to check into the room rates so you can figure out which way would save you the most money.

We stayed at AKL last Nov with 5. I specifically asked CRO about this and they said it was fine. We are DVC members and we took a dicscounted cash rate to stay one night.

I would not use points to stay under any circumstances.

I also would not recommend staying at AKL with 5. We were very disappointed in the size of the Rm. Our children are 6,7, & 11. The 7 Yr old will sleep anywhere so he didn't mind sleeping on the floor. But where? Everywhere we put him it was uncomfortable. Having a 4 yr old in bed with you for 5 nights doesn't sound like a recipe for good sleep. You need your rest when your as active as people tend to be a WDW. We are spoiled by the accomadations we have at OKW. I went into this situation wanting to experience AKL and knowing that the rooms would not be like OKW. We were still very disappointed in the Rm even after being upgraded to Deluxe Savannah view.

You probably could get away with 5 in the room but you would be crowded.

I wouldn't use the pts to stay at AKL. Look for a cash discount or stay at a DVC property.

We were going to sleep 5 at WL in October (was assured by the resort that they really don't enforce the policy) but after checking in we got my MIL her own room because we would have been so crowded.

You could stay in a deluxe room but can you even use pts for that?

I know the policy in a DVC 1br is 4 people but like I said, we were told they really don't enforce it-why not put the 3 kids in the KS bed and the adults sleep on the pull out sofa in a 1br villa?

If you have your heart set on AKL, most likely you will be able to find a great cash price for then and not have to bother with pts at all.

Just another post to say the AKL rooms are small and I don't think you'd be very comfortable with 5 people in the room. We were two adults and one toddler in a regular WL (WL & AKL rooms are the same sq. ft) and we felt cramped. The two beds take up most of the room.

Also as many above posters stated if you are renting DVC points it is best to stay in a DVC resort to get the most "bang for the buck." You will have much larger accomadations to spread out which is sooooo nice when you are at Disney for a week.

If you do have your heart set on AKL I would also do cash and look for special rates. There were many discounts in the fall for AKL. We personally are staying there first week in Feb. for a rate of $109.00 a night.

Good luck!
Gi

We are DVC members at OKW and are huge fans of that resort. I also just spent 3 nights at AKL. Both are wonderful resorts and we will stay at AKL again. However don't use DVC for AKL, it can be done more reasonably at that time of year by just paying and the DVC points are worth more at a DVC resort.:)

At AKL get a deluxe room with bunk beds. You'll be able to sleep 5 very comfortably. You'll have a queen size bed, the bunk beds and a very comfortable day bed.

It's good to read that Disney allowed five in the standard rooms at akl and wl. Is this what others have experienced also? I mean, it's always okay? (kids are 8,9,and 3 along with dh and me) Also, what is the price jump if we go with a deluxe room at one of these resorts?
I don't want to "sneak" a fifth person in, so I was wondering if five is always okay with Disney. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter