RE: Latest episode. Jackie's thoughts on character integrity

what nonsense am I reading...and to what extent was this character even acting out we got nothing besides a general blanket statement

FIRE HER!

You might want to dig through the union contract first before you say that. Nothing is ever that simple when it comes to Union Gigs for performers.

It's just my opinion. As it relates to Jacki's story, if Belle was speaking to guests (especially in front of other guests, but regardless) out of character about their plans later that day, she isn't a good match for being a Cast Member and certainly not a character.
I agree completely.

what nonsense am I reading...and to what extent was this character even acting out we got nothing besides a general blanket statement

FIRE HER!
Whether it's fair/rational or not, it would be in the contract they agreed to and signed that if they break the rules, they'd be terminated immediately.

I'm glad there was some clarification of the interaction with Belle that upset Jackie. I wasn't sure if it was just a warm, friendly greeting or an actual step out of character.

There's definitely a way to handle those moments while in character. One of the best conversations I've ever had with a character was when I met Captain America at Disneyland during our ABD. I was wearing a Dr. Who shirt and he started telling a story about how, while he was serving in WWII, he met a man named John Smith who disappeared into a blue phone box. It was FANTASTIC.

And in the keeping "in character" theme - I emailed Disney to commend him and they called me to let me know they would "advise Captain America's area manager of his excellent work." I'm so glad Nick Fury will find out. ;)

Everyone who is saying fire her on the spot just wants her job!!! :rolleyes1 Keep dreaming.

She shouldn't be fired on the spot , maybe later a written warning. Lordy Lordy . o_O

You may all want to read this fascinating article about a former Captain Jack Sparrow in Disneyland that was ultimately fired for breaking some character rules. I did not realize that cast members are on a point system, in which points are deducted when late to work, or perhaps visiting your girlfriend Ariel in another land in which you are forbidden to enter, etc. The stories about women hitting on him are quite funny and yet this guy never broke character when recieving some....interesting offers.

http://www.lamag.com/longform/pirates-booty1/

The Mad Hatter rode the teacups with some friends of ours a few years ago. The dad was wearing a Tulane shirt. The Mad Hatter treated them very well and it resulted in one of the funniest WDW pics we've ever taken.

As we were all dispersing, the Mad Hatter confided quietly to our friend that he was a Tulane grad. So that out of character association got us something special.

Also we had a meet and greet with a sunburned Belle with some pretty significant lines on her shoulders. We were surprised they would let her in costume.

The Mad Hatter rode the teacups with some friends of ours a few years ago. The dad was wearing a Tulane shirt. The Mad Hatter treated them very well and it resulted in one of the funniest WDW pics we've ever taken.

As we were all dispersing, the Mad Hatter confided quietly to our friend that he was a Tulane grad. So that out of character association got us something special.

Also we had a meet and greet with a sunburned Belle with some pretty significant lines on her shoulders. We were surprised they would let her in costume.
That's really cool about The Mad Hatter! Since he waited until afterwards to tell your friend that he was a Tulane grad, I think the experience would've been equally as magical even if he didn't divulge that. :)

I agree with you about Belle ~ she never spent enough time outside, let alone in a swimsuit, to have lines on her shoulders! o_O

One time I went with a Girl Scout troop to Disneyland and saw Cinderella break character. It was super early because we had driven on a bus overnight from Phoenix, when we walked in Cinderella was there along with a couple other characters. A girl came in with a stroller with a newborn dressed like Snow White. I am guessing by Cindy's reaction she knew the girl because she ran over to see the baby. What we got from it was the mom played Snow White in the park and was on maternity leave. Cindy took pictures with the baby and then came back over to the line of characters.
I didn't think much of it. I think Disneyland characters let their guard down a little more because it is such a locals park. Another funny cast member story we witnessed was when we got stuck on the street where the electric light parade would go in DCA, the security guy moved us over to an area that had chairs and there was a bunch of cast members. They proceeded to heckle their coworkers who were dancing in the parade trying to make them break character.
I'm really hoping the character interactions are as fun at WDW, every time we went to DL the face characters really looked like they loved their jobs.

I have to be honest here.....if these actors are told up front that breaking character is a huge no-no with zero tolerance, then I agree the person has to go. It's insubordination plain and simple. It's kind of second rate to be messing around like that anyway. Do people make mistakes? Absolutely. However "mistakes" get people terminated from their jobs everyday. It's unfortunate for that person but it's also a situation where if you are unable/unwilling to work as instructed then you probably shouldn't be there. I can understand if people think the rule is harsh and therefore it SHOULDN'T be something worth a termination. If the rule is less rigid then I would think disciplinary needs to be taken so that it doesn't happen again. We pay the big $$$ to be totally immersed in WDW. I expect more from everyone there than I would at Six Flags or something like that. For the record, I honestly have no idea what the rule is, I'm just talking in "what ifs". No one likes to see people lose their jobs but it's also tough to feel sorry for people who do things that are absolutely against policy (even if it seems small in our eyes).

I have to be honest here.....if these actors are told up front that breaking character is a huge no-no with zero tolerance, then I agree the person has to go. It's insubordination plain and simple. It's kind of second rate to be messing around like that anyway. Do people make mistakes? Absolutely. However "mistakes" get people terminated from their jobs everyday. It's unfortunate for that person but it's also a situation where if you are unable/unwilling to work as instructed then you probably shouldn't be there. I can understand if people think the rule is harsh and therefore it SHOULDN'T be something worth a termination. If the rule is less rigid then I would think disciplinary needs to be taken so that it doesn't happen again. We pay the big $$$ to be totally immersed in WDW. I expect more from everyone there than I would at Six Flags or something like that. For the record, I honestly have no idea what the rule is, I'm just talking in "what ifs". No one likes to see people lose their jobs but it's also tough to feel sorry for people who do things that are absolutely against policy (even if it seems small in our eyes).

Their costumed actors not robots ...

Where I work we have certain things that are absolutely unforgivable (I'm sure most everyone has the same situation). Some of it is obvious; some of it seems a little silly. I am not robot however I know not to step over that line or the consequences will mean I'm out of work.

Their costumed actors not robots ...
How would you feel if you were at a Broadway show and an actor onstage noticed a friend in the audience and suddenly broke character to say hello and tell that friend where to meet her after the show? Would you have a problem with that? Do you think the show's producer would be justified in firing her?

Disney cast members, especially those in performer roles, are no different in my mind than stage actors. If they can't stay in character, they need to find a new line of work.

As was already mentioned: while the act itself doesn't necessarily seem punishable by termination, the rules of employment state that it is, and the CMs agree to that when they are hired.
It's not about the offense per se, it's about the rule breaking.

How would you feel if you were at a Broadway show and an actor onstage noticed a friend in the audience and suddenly broke character to say hello and tell that friend where to meet her after the show? Would you have a problem with that? Do you think the show's producer would be justified in firing her?

Disney cast members, especially those in performer roles, are no different in my mind than stage actors. If they can't stay in character, they need to find a new line of work.

I've actually been in the audience when a Broadway star broke character and the fourth wall. I was at Promises, Promises with Kristin Chenoweth and Sean Hayes (Jack, from Will and Grace) starring. There is a point in the show where another character throws keys to Sean and Sean is supposed to catch them. He totally missed them, they flew across the stage and he broke the fourth wall making fun of himself to the audience as a whole. Then he snapped back into character and the show went on.(his character is written to break the fourth wall at times, but this was different..it was a complete break of character as well as the fourth wall). How he handled it was actually quite hysterical, and it is by far one of the most memorable moments in all of the Broadway shows I have been to (which is quite a few).

My friend went to see Idina Menzel in if/then for a second time a week before it closed. We had seen it together 2 weeks prior, and she texted me how the 2nd show she saw was so funny, and such a good show because there were some breaks in character (I want to say she even said Idina broke character, but I would.need to reread those texts to know for sure) and some things were done differently or more improvised as the cast was having some fun with each other

I'm not saying it is ok for Disney characters to break character, it isn't! I want that to.be clear. but I also don't think a single break in character automatically means they need to find a new line of work. Even big Broadway stars break character sometimes.

Last edited:
I've never been a member of Disney management and while I feel firing someone on the spot seems a bit harsh, I think some kind of demotion or punishment is completely justified. We all know these are real people and sometimes the real world creeps into the act they've been hired to uphold while out and about in the parks. Slip ups happen, but it's the degree to which it happens that is the issue IMO. I accidentally said something in 2013 that caused Rapunzel to briefly break character. I even apologized right on the spot because I didn't want her to get in trouble. Still, the degree to which she broke character vs. what happened with Jackie is night and day.

I listened to Jackie's story and it made me think about how I'd feel if this were my kids' first trip and my older one was meeting her favorite princess for the first time. I would have been beyond furious and I would have complained. My older one was 4 at the time, head over heels for Cinderella, and would have been shattered if things weren't magical. I'm not talking over the top experience or special treatment...just not wanting to have a "Santa isn't real" kind of moment on her first trip to WDW. While I wouldn't want her to lose her job, I'd want her to spend some extra time working in a fur character or other post before she was allowed back into a face character spot. Yes, no place or person is perfect, but it's a completely realistic expectation to have a Disney hired M&G actor maintain the integrity of the character which they were hired to portray. I mean, it's this whole magical smokescreen that is behind the age limit on tours like Keys to the Kingdom, so it's clearly a critical error to break character at this level while out in the parks.

I'm still thinking about this and it reminded me of an encounter I had with Belle at DL. I'd been waiting in line to meet her, and people with kids kept pushing them in front of me - quite literally looking at me and saying I shouldn't mind because Disney is for kids anyway (dh and I did not have children at this point). Belle witnessed it happen, and she stepped in - staying *completely* in character - to redirect the person she witnessed to where the line was. Belle didn't have a character handler with her. She handled it beautifully while remaining in character, I had a wonderful meet with her, then I went to guest services to compliment her. What could have turned.out to be a not so great meet and greet experience was totally turned around by her noticing what was happening and addressing it *in character*. I was, and still am, thankful to belle for that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter