• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Re-buying into DVC...it's been a while ?'s

MainStMandy

DIS Veteran
I used to own at SSR. When I got divorced the ex and I couldn't figure out how to share so we sold it. At the time I was a CM and got a bit of a discount.

Well dbf and I have pretty much decided on purchasing but I don't remember a whole lot. I have a referral (my boss :lovestruc ) We are going to finance, but how much are we looking at. We will be starting off with the minimum amount of points. Down payment and monthly payments?

Just trying to get an idea. Thanks!

If you are buying from Disney, you will need to purchase 160 points, I think. Earlier in the year, they were allowing people to purchase 100 points at AKV.

I think 160 points at BLT will cost you about $17k. SSR and AKV points can be acquired for a little less.

The really great deals out there are on the resale boards. According to what you want...you can pick up SSR and OKW for about $75/pt; VWL and BWV for $80 and BCV and AKV for about $85.

You may want to consider picking up 2 smaller contracts in case you ever have to sell again for any reason.

Why repeat past mistakes? Unless you would be willing to buy a house with this guy, I would not buy a single deed with both of your names on it.

Why repeat past mistakes? Unless you would be willing to buy a house with this guy, I would not buy a single deed with both of your names on it.

Wow...didn't really need that kind of advice. This question was about DVC, not my personal life.

The financing rates through Disney is 10.75% (with auto deduct from checking/saving) if you qualify for the preferred rate. It is 14.25% (with auto deduct) if you only qualify for standing financing.

Here is a website that is great for figuring out payments on any type of installment loan. It will help you see monthly payments, etc.

http://www.bretwhissel.net/amortization/amortize.html

As others have said, minimum buy in right now at BLT is 160. With the current incentives, you are getting $5.00 off per point, for a cost of $107 ($17,120).

AKL and SSR can be purchased direct from Disney at 100 minimum. Discount is $6.25 so a net of $105.75 ($10,575)

I know that new members have to pay closing costs with Disney but I don't know how much that is (I don't think it is that much though).

HTH!;)

Wow...didn't really need that kind of advice. This question was about DVC, not my personal life.
Then perhaps you needn't share the details of your personal life in the question.

Less snarkily: if you really want to do this, see if you can't structure it as two deeds, as suggested. At least then it's easy to figure out what to do if things don't turn out quite as planned.

Brian wasn't being snarky at all -- he's giving you good advice. You offered that you and your boyfriend were considering buying DVC together. Joint property ownership - and especially if you are financing together - is ALL about your personal relationship.

My advice is that you not buy DVC until you can pay cash for it by yourself.

Then perhaps you needn't share the details of your personal life in the question.

Less snarkily: if you really want to do this, see if you can't structure it as two deeds, as suggested. At least then it's easy to figure out what to do if things don't turn out quite as planned.

Brian wasn't being snarky at all -- he's giving you good advice. You offered that you and your boyfriend were considering buying DVC together. Joint property ownership - and especially if you are financing together - is ALL about your personal relationship.

My advice is that you not buy DVC until you can pay cash for it by yourself.

I will state one more time, that I was merely asking a question about DVC. No personal relationship advice needed as you don't know me.

Sandisw and Mickey'sApprentice thanks for the info. We are thinking now maybe of buying resale.

I know that new members have to pay closing costs with Disney but I don't know how much that is (I don't think it is that much though).

I toured while @ WDW on Oct. 21st and then signed on Nov. 4, 2008. New member, 160 points @ BLT, closing was $341.89 and I used Disney financing.

I toured while @ WDW on Oct. 21st and then signed on Nov. 4, 2008. New member, 160 points @ BLT, closing was $341.89 and I used Disney financing.

THANK YOU!! That was a little less than I thought...just not sure if we want to buy BLT.

I will state one more time, that I was merely asking a question about DVC. No personal relationship advice needed as you don't know me.
Nobody's giving you personal relationship advice. People are offering you financial advice, based on your own posts and your blog.

Sorry if you don't like what you hear...but that's sometimes the price of asking.

Hey MandyMainSt:

I love your screen name. I am so happy to hear that you are now looking to become a DVC member again.

Purchasing 2 smaller contracts have a lot of advantages.

As you get older, you may not want to go WDW as much, and may want to sell one of the contracts. Also, smaller contracts tend to keep their value much better than larger contracts. Things change.

Several years ago after my Mom died, Dad remarried. My older sister happily moved into our childhood home. My advice to Sis was to get a rental agreement and pay dear old Dad a nominal rent. You should have seen the expression on her face when I said that. I don't know if she thought I was jealous, or had just completely lost my mind.

Well, guess who paid when the furnace went out, the roof needed replaced, and the property taxes had to be paid. That's right. Nothing in life is free. Sis had to pay it. Dear Sis was miffed at Dad for a long time. A lot of hard feelings would have been avoided if things had been done in a business like manner. Everybody would have been happy if she had agreed to give Dad $100/mo. in exchange for all maintenance.

Things in life run much smoother when you realize that love is love...and business is business. DVC is business.

Nobody's giving you personal relationship advice. People are offering you financial advice, based on your own posts and your blog.

Sorry if you don't like what you hear...but that's sometimes the price of asking.

Um no...Brian was giving me personal realationship advice with the comment Why repeat past mistakes. I didn't ask what everyone though of buying with my boyfriend...I was asking about financing and cost.

Who said I wasn't willing to buy a house with him and put our name on the deed??
Hey MandyMainSt:

I love your screen name. I am so happy to hear that you are now looking to become a DVC member again.

Purchasing 2 smaller contracts have a lot of advantages.

As you get older, you may not want to go WDW as much, and may want to sell one of the contracts. Also, smaller contracts tend to keep their value much better than larger contracts. Things change.

Several years ago after my Mom died, Dad remarried. My older sister happily moved into our childhood home. My advice to Sis was to get a rental agreement and pay dear old Dad a nominal rent. You should have seen the expression on her face when I said that. I don't know if she thought I was jealous, or had just completely lost my mind.

Well, guess who paid when the furnace went out, the roof needed replaced, and the property taxes had to be paid. That's right. Nothing in life is free. Sis had to pay it. Dear Sis was miffed at Dad for a long time. A lot of hard feelings would have been avoided if things had been done in a business like manner. Everybody would have been happy if she had agreed to give Dad $100/mo. in exchange for all maintenance.

Things in life run much smoother when you realize that love is love...and business is business. DVC is business.

Thank you

oh my g----d ! JUst stop..people are trying to help you..you started it by opening the door with all your details of your personal life...stop the thread if you don't want sound advice...these are people who know what they are talking about...forget about yourself for a minute and think about the whole picture will you?

After perusing your blog, I am a huge advocate of saving up and paying cash.

Who said I wasn't willing to buy a house with him and put our name on the deed?
I have no opinion on your willingness to do this. Instead, I'm equating a financed DVC purchase with a financed home purchase. You should consider the two equivalent. If you would sign a mortgage together, then great! You're ready to buy DVC together too. But, if you wouldn't buy a house together, then this is a bad idea.

It's your (borrowed) nickel, spend it however you want.

After perusing your blog, I am a huge advocate of saving up and paying cash.

I have no opinion on your willingness to do this. Instead, I'm equating a financed DVC purchase with a financed home purchase. You should consider the two equivalent. If you would sign a mortgage together, then great! You're ready to buy DVC together too. But, if you wouldn't buy a house together, then this is a bad idea.

It's your (borrowed) nickel, spend it however you want.

Those are both fair statements...my issue was that I did not ask anyones opinion on IF we should purchase together...nor did I appreciate the tone. I was merely asking about price.

I should know better on the dis...:sad2:

I should have written more in my first post, so you'd know where I'm coming from... You have achieved a great thing recently, which is getting rid of your debt!:thumbsup2 I have more of a parental perspective, and the perspective of one who helps many women everyday deal with life. Be very proud of yourself that you have paid off your loans - if only more Americans could do the same...(I'll try to avoid talking about the economy). Do what's best for you - if you can justify and pay the debt, then purchase now. If you are soon looking to buy a house, you might be better off not having new debt on your record. DVC will still be there in 6 months (I hope!), and you can save a ton of money buying resale. Really not meant to be *****y, just have learned from the experience of many women (myself included) who sometimes use their hearts instead of their heads when shopping!! ;)

I should have written more in my first post, so you'd know where I'm coming from... You have achieved a great thing recently, which is getting rid of your debt!:thumbsup2 I have more of a parental perspective, and the perspective of one who helps many women everyday deal with life. Be very proud of yourself that you have paid off your loans - if only more Americans could do the same...(I'll try to avoid talking about the economy). Do what's best for you - if you can justify and pay the debt, then purchase now. If you are soon looking to buy a house, you might be better off not having new debt on your record. DVC will still be there in 6 months (I hope!), and you can save a ton of money buying resale. Really not meant to be *****y, just have learned from the experience of many women (myself included) who sometimes use their hearts instead of their heads when shopping!! ;)

Thank you for that. We are waiting to purchase a home for a few years. Our thought process is that we can afford it now and since we plan on going often, it pays off to purchase DVC earlier than later. We haven't made the decision 100%...we are also saving up for a wedding :) Thank you for your advice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter