Re: Beware the heat here !

Hey you wanna know how hot is it down here? Just take a look at this Florida ice cream truck:

2a00sat.jpg

:rotfl:

I've been watching the temperatures in Orlando the last few days and it doesn't seem that hot. Is it the humidity? The site I go to doesn't show the humidity levels.

It's the humidity, 90 degrees in Orlando feels like 100,95 feels like 110.I was in Orlando last week and the highs were in the upper 90's 96-98 degrees that right there felt like 115+.Compare that to say Oklahoma City where the highs are getting up near 100 but the difference is that 98 degrees in OKC might feel like 103-107 still very hot but much more tolerable than Orlando where 98 might have a heat index of 117,plus many people just can't deal with walking around the parks all day in those temperatures under a hot sun,even after drinking continuously all day in the parks when I got back to the hotel at night I think I had 7 glasses of water.That's why in my opinion waterparks are the wisest choice in this heat and when you're in the theme parks some rain and clouds to cool it down is also not a bad thing.

We are gonna be getting there on the 15th....I know everyone says you can get free water from the counter service restaurants, do they have to put it into a cup or can they refill my refillable bottle? I would rather not waste the paper if I don't have to...yes I am a mild tree hugger...

I've been watching the temperatures in Orlando the last few days and it doesn't seem that hot. Is it the humidity? The site I go to doesn't show the humidity levels.

That is because you are in Texas where the temps have been what 108, Orlando has been cooler than that.

Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia have been much hotter.

We were also there in Aug 06. Had a great time but OMG was it hot. Though I have no idea how hot compared to normal or right now but we used all our snack credits for water and still paid OOP for lots more! Thankfully with the old dining plan and the heat we didn't have need for food snacks!

We were also there in August 06. It was SO hot. We pretty much started walking into the parks and could feel the sweat dripping down our backs. I swore that I would NEVER go in the summer and take the kids (it was just DH and I in '06). THEN Tupperware decided to have their conference at Disney in August this year, and we decided to go! I keep telling the boys how hot it will be, but I don't think you can really imagine it until you are there. Still, DH and I had a great time even with it being hotter than the face of the sun. And I plan to do the same this time!! Typhoon Lagoon, here we come! :woohoo:

We were at WDW two weeks ago, and I went in concerned about heat exhaustion. Our family of 5 (my husband, 3 boys and me) all did well in the heat, and I was surprised! We usually go between December and March, so the July heat in Orlando was new to us. But it went so well that not one of our three boys complained about the heat - ever!

Here's what helped the most:

1) We did everything slowly. We do a lot of racing around in February - zig zagging parks for FPs, etc. But in July, we went slowly, stopped in a lot of shops, etc. We loved it!

2) Rope drop every day. We were out the door no later than 7am every morning to get to 8am EMH. It was a great time of day. Much cooler and less crowded. We were out of the parks after lunch every day, too. (Returned in the evenings - it was cooler, but we're not as much into the dance party atmosphere and summer crowds at MK/DHS - loved EPCOT and BC at night!)

5) The WDW misting fan. We bought one for our family and shared it. It was great.

But we loved our July trip and would do it again.

So glad to hear you had a great time, even in the heat. Last time we went we mastered the art of cutting through every air-conditioned shop in our path! We have never been to a rope drop, but have plans to make it to 5 of them this time and then do the afternoon break thing. I bought a misting fan and think it will be a FABULOUS addition to our trip! Hopefully we can sprinkle a little pixie dust with that! :thumbsup2

That is because you are in Texas where the temps have been what 108, Orlando has been cooler than that.

Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia have been much hotter.
It has been much hotter here but it sounds like the humidity is much worse in Orlando. I spent many years in Houston so hopefully I'm acclimated though. :)

Welcome to Costco. I love you.

OffT - I can't go into Costco without saying that as I show my card.

OnT - I like the Nuun tablets too. I started playing soccer again about a year ago and was getting migraines after each game. I started using these (and eating a few bananas) and now I only get a little headache, depending on how hot it is. Not a cure-all, but better.

OffT - I like money.

just abandon ship for a couple hours after lunch. swim and nap in the air conditioning.

also try to strategically hit air conditioned rides and exhibits.

I believe people try to push way too hard. I understand it b/c after all it is disney. But you will never see everything in a day even if you push, and you'll see much less if you're throwing up with heat exhaustion.

sorry for adding my 2 cents. Im just so excited to go, even with the heat.

A few people mentioned the "Gatorade G2" and "Crystal Light Pure Fitness" sticks. Both are 1 stick for a 16.9 oz bottle. Here are the differences:

Gatorade G2 -low calorie (1/2 stick)
calories 20
sodium 100mg
potassium 30 mg
sugars 5g

Crystal Light Pure Fitness (1/2 stick)
calories 15
sodium 35mg
potassium 15mg
sugars3g

Don't forget the beautiful ice that we get in the winter time...all sparkly like Cindy's castle! RIGHT, until the ice causes trees to come crashing down on powerlines and you lose electricity, cable, phone...for weeks!

I love MA!:confused:

By any chance do you live in Central Mass and got whacked by the Dec 2008 ice storm? We were lucky and only lost power for 5 days. :rotfl:

This Exactly! While water is excellent for you, you also need the electrolytes when dehydrated. Water is just that - water. Your body also needs sodium, calcium, potassium, etc to function properly. Throw in a gatorade or powerade or any of those other electrolyte drinks periodically and it will do you wonders!!

Thanks for the reminder....drink water, drink water, drink water, drink water. If you're not peeing, you're not drinking enough.

So true. Water, ice and lots more water. One drink per day should be something else though, no soda, no caffeine but powerade or lemonade, something with a little bit of salt and sugar so your electrolytes are alright.

Eat frequent small snacks. Heavy meals in the heat make it worse and harder to digest. Fruit, veggies, crackers etc. every so often. Don't wait until you are thirsty and starving, it's too late. Especially if you are coming from a climate that is not used to such harsh heat.

Wear a hat, a wide brim is better than a ball cap because it covers your neck but any hat is better than no hat. Keeping your head and your neck cool makes a huge difference in not getting sick.

I'm sorry your dd got sick OP. :hug:

We were in WDW from 7/22-8/1 and had a great time with no problems despite the heat and humidity. Here's what we did:

We also got to the parks early and went back to the resort to swim in the afternoon. On days where we didn't want to do this, we got a last minute adr at a restaurant in the park and ate an early dinner. In world showcase, we got an adr at Teppan edo for 4:30. We had a nice, light but filling dinner and were able to go back out refreshed as the sun was starting to get less intense. We were able to stay until 9 p.m. after beginning our day at 7:30 a.m.

We drank a lot of water - we brought a soft cooler and filled it with bottles of water. We had a stroller so we kept it in the bottom basket.

We had a 14 month old with us - we put a white hand towel from the hotel under her head to help with sweat. I also got a stroller fan that I HIGHLY recommend. I got it on Amazon and it cost $10. It's a green and yellow clip on fan that lights up. I would put it on the back of the stroller (where the mesh is) when it was reclined. That way, it would blow on her head and she wouldn't grab it. It worked really well (we had to replace batteries quite often).

Tons of people asked me where I got this fan. So many people had bigger, heavier ones (like the mickey head fans) and they could see how well this worked - yet it was really lightweight. As I said, I highly recommend it.

We did have spray mister bottles. We used one here and there but not a ton. We also wore hats, sunglasses and sunbock.

My husband wore polo shirts that we found at Kohls - the moisture-wicking ones and they worked great. He is usually completely soaked from sweat but these kept him relatively dry and his shirt was never wet at all. I only bought light colors (no navy or black) and they really did the trick.

Popsicles, soft serve ice cream and just taking a break for a few minutes in a cool spot really made all the difference.

Hope everyone headed to WDW anytime soon has a great time. I didn't love the crowds of July but the heat can be very do-able if you keep hydrated and go with the flow!

By any chance do you live in Central Mass and got whacked by the Dec 2008 ice storm? We were lucky and only lost power for 5 days. :rotfl:

I live in the MertoWest area. Only a day for us without power. Wustah and burbs got the brunt..almost 2 weeks for some.

You can also mark your calendar for Dec 19th....snow! 3 years in a row we have received 6" or more on that date. I dont know why I just dont plan my vacations around that time..oh yeah..now I remember...holiday airfare and the chance of sleeping on the Logan floor..:scared1:

Hi all, we are coming to visit WDW on the 19th Sept-3rd October. Just reading these post has me a little worried! From experience do you think it would of cooled down a little by then. I mean I know it will be hot but does it get I guess less hot than now? I am going to Amazon to get a couple of those stroller fans I have hired a double stroller for our trip. Thanks for that tip finally talking!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter