Re:All Star Sports. What bugs me...

For years my DW couldn’t figure out why I avoided dresser drawers like the plaque when we traveled. I always hang everything and keep some clothes nicely folded with bounce sheets in large zip lock bags stacked in the closet, if not just left in the suitcase.

Several years ago we checked into an expensive hotel in Kaanapali Alii Maui. The room was recently remodeled and had a beautiful view of the water and sunset, but a smell of fermenting sewage. My first thought was a problem with an unflushed toilet, but the bathroom smelt like a Hawaiian lei and better than the bedroom. It was easy after that to pinpoint the smell to the dresser, but the drawers were empty and my DW had disappeared with our son and her luggage. She was raising a fit when I found her at the front desk and we were given a different room. Out of curiosity I went back to the smelly room and housekeeping was there, but couldn’t find the source of the smell, though localized it to the same dresser. Finally a handyman type guy came. The drawers wouldn’t pull out as they were permanently attached to metal rails inside the dresser and it took him all but several minutes to detach them with a scroogie. A used diaper had fallen at the back of drawer and down into the bottom of the enclosed dresser. I nearly threw up, though DW now avoids the drawers unless she’s helping the MIL to unpack.

We put our dirty clothes in the drawers and hang clean clothes/keep them in the suitcase. I don't put clean clothes in the drawers. When we get home, everything gets washed.

Oh my, I'm never using the drawers at a hotel ever again! I can't believe I was naive enough to think that people use them for clean clothes! I can't believe I haven't contracted some nasty illness from a hotel drawer.

I have learned (probably from another thread on here, actually) to pack Clorox wipes and clean each drawer, remote, and door handle. It makes me at least feel like they are clean enough for my clothes!

I usually bring Clorox wipes, was going to skip them this time due to micro-packing plan but my try to sqeeze in a pack now that I am nice and grossed out.

[="HopperFan, post: 56953778, member: 55347"]Yup, exactly why I won't put clean clothes in the drawers. Those drawers are never cleaned by housekeeping - anywhere.[/QUOTE]

On a cruise we found dirty clothes balled up in the drawer of our stateroom. Cured me of EVER needing to put clean stuff in there.

We do fold them neatly and don't put anything wet in there. If we're worrying about skeevy I guess it still is because those dirty clothes (from the gross drawer!) are still going back into my suitcase for the trip home. I can't wash the lining of my suitcase when we get home.

[="HopperFan, post: 56953778, member: 55347"]But seriously we are sleeping in beds that thousands of other people have slept in ... the skeevy of all skeevy. :crazy2:[/QUOTE]

I know...gag!!!

The point is making the *adults* happy. Yes it'll be more. 1. But if drawers and not being able to unpack everyone is going to bug you...why not go up a bit in the world of disney?

I don't want to rent a bike at Disney, either, but I'm not going to not stay at PO just b/c they have that possibility. Maybe he would like them, but without the thought of spending *more* money to get a bike?

2. What videos have they seen? Videos of the rooms or videos of the grounds? Because it's super-fun to walk around those bright shiny resorts, but if you're at the parks during the day and sleeping at night, at some point it becomes a matter of "why are we staying here?" The big figures are fun, the big pool is nice. It's exciting. But the room might not really suit your needs, and that's worth way more than the ability to walk around and see big figures. Because you can walk around and see big figures even without staying there. We toured around AOA without staying there, we've toured all around all sorts of resorts without staying there. Can't swim but oh well.

1. Because it's NOT that big of a deal. I like your idea of the velco attached drawers. I have one, so I'll be sure to pack it. Why not up a bit? DH doesn't want to, and I don't care enough to actually talk him into it.

2. There's a Youtube user with the name Ithemepark who's done videos of ALL the WDW resorts. They're very thorough. He shows the rooms, dining, pools, grounds, everything you would want to know about the hotel. There's another Youtube user JonesFamilyTravels (who's also a Diser) who's done a lot of Disney resort videos. Her's are entertaining and funny. She goes into great detail about the resorts, so viewers get a pretty good idea of what to expect.

I realize the rooms at All Star Sports are tiny, but we're going to be spending a lot of time at the parks and really only need a place to sleep.

What is wrong with just leaving things in the suitcase? I hate packing, unpacking and repacking. Not sure I see the reason
I never put my clothes in the drawers at hotels. Phobia thing I guess. I don't want clothes I am putting on to have been in drawers where who knows what was. I do pack hangers, will hang as much as I can filling closet, arrange suitcases to live out of and then we put our dirty clothes in the drawers. At the end any clean are combined and all the dirty put in suitcases together.
Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't use the drawers, though for a very different reason

I have learned (probably from another thread on here, actually) to pack Clorox wipes and clean each drawer, remote, and door handle. It makes me at least feel like they are clean enough for my clothes!

Yes to Clorox wipes, although I don't pack them for drawers as we tend to live out of our suitcases too. But tables, nightstands, etc, yes! And travel size Lysol spray. Besides the fact that I don't trust the cleanliness of housekeeping's rags (or whether they wipe every easy to clean hard surface well), it comes in handy if one of us ends up sick (I'm looking at you, kids). Then I can at least TRY to keep it off the rest of us, although I'm sure it doesn't do much other than make me feel better about it :)

What is wrong with just leaving things in the suitcase? I hate packing, unpacking and repacking. Not sure I see the reason

Sometimes the four of us are at a value resort for two weeks. It never feels cramped, but that's because we utilize our space. That means using the dresser drawers for their intended purposes.

I do this all the time! I wipe down all those things including drawers (even the toilet seat) before we get settled. I used to work in housekeeping back in my college days and I have seen some gross things left in those drawers!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek: My mind is blown. Never using the drawers again. We don't put our clothes in them. We use the drawers to put odds and ends like Mickey ears or things like that so table and other areas don't look so cluttered.

We bring a pop up laundry basket to put our dirty clothes. Never crossed my mind to put them in the drawers.

There are only two of us so it's never been a problem and my son tends to just live out of his suitcase anyway. I unpack, I hang up pants and shirts and yes, I use the drawers. I don't use clorax wipes and I sit on toilet seats. I like to live on the edge.

Sometimes the four of us are at a value resort for two weeks. It never feels cramped, but that's because we utilize our space. That means using the dresser drawers for their intended purposes.
Ah, ok. I never stay more than a few hours following a late night arrival at a Value resort. We are usually 2 or 3 in a Mod and we find we can leave the suitcases right under the hanging rack in the bathroom and not have to unpack.
There are only two of us so it's never been a problem and my son tends to just live out of his suitcase anyway. I unpack, I hang up pants and shirts and yes, I use the drawers. I don't use clorax wipes and I sit on toilet seats. I like to live on the edge.
LOVE IT! You and me both. Bring on the danger!

I pack my socks in one zip top bag, unders in another, bathing suit in yet another. I put the bags in the drawers

I like this to do before the OP leaves the house. Label each zip top bag with the name of the person and once at the resort, toss the bags into a drawer and you are done unpacking. I would recommend using the shelf in the closet for the bathing suits since you won't need those right away and to store shoes under the night stand. We also put our suitcases under the sink in the bathroom to get them out of the way. You can put one inside the other depending on sizes.

As for laundry, we take our own fold up laundry container or use an empty suitcase for the dirties. The container we use is from Wal Mart and was about $15 but once it's opened, it's a full size container we shove into the corner of the bathroom and toss our stinkies in there at the end of the day. It folds back up for the way home.

I'm not a germaphobe at all. We don't do Clorox wipes and I'll even sit on toilet seats. lol But someone's dirty underroo's in a drawer I might put my clean underwear in is gross. And I'm not easily grossed out

Wow, people are gross. You don't put dirty clothes in your drawers at home, so common sense would dictate you don't do it in a hotel room. But clearly, there is a major lack of common sense...

Exactly. My mother always taught me to treat other homes/places the same you would treat your own home.

Last edited:
I like this to do before the OP leaves the house. Label each zip top bag with the name of the person and once at the resort, toss the bags into a drawer and you are done unpacking. I would recommend using the shelf in the closet for the bathing suits since you won't need those right away and to store shoes under the night stand. We also put our suitcases under the sink in the bathroom to get them out of the way. You can put one inside the other depending on sizes.

As for laundry, we take our own fold up laundry container or use an empty suitcase for the dirties. The container we use is from Wal Mart and was about $15 but once it's opened, it's a full size container we shove into the corner of the bathroom and toss our stinkies in there at the end of the day. It folds back up for the way home.

All of our dirty clothes go right back in my suitcase in a bag. I never thought anyone would deliberately put dirty clothing in a drawer other people used. Clearly, I gave way too much benefit of doubt....YUCH!

My packing method was simply for ease and space, but now I am really glad I have my things in plastic.

Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't use the drawers, though for a very different reason

Absolutely nothing. I just figured since the drawers are there I'm going to use them. And I can organize better with them.

Absolutely nothing. I just figured since the drawers are there I'm going to use them. And I can organize better with them.

And just to add. When we go, my husband keeps all his stuff in his suitcase. I take everything out of mine and put into drawers. It's a personal preference and even in our little two person household of 35 years, we each do what we want and go on with life.

I just told DH about the moderate resorts, and how much more we'd get from staying there. He said again he's happy with just staying at the value. I told you all he was cheap. :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter