RCI, what happened??

Unless there are major changes, I'll never exchange my DVC points with RCI or similar. Even if I was able to add DVC to my RCI account directly, I doubt I'd be exchanging with it without major changes in either my situation or the facts of the game.
Perhaps changes recognizing "last minute" exchanges? Where a least-expensive studio week could exchange for anything in RCI's inventory in the 45-day window?

Perhaps changes recognizing "last minute" exchanges? Where a least-expensive studio week could exchange for anything in RCI's inventory in the 45-day window?
There are many differences between DVC's arrangement and direct membership, most are negative but some are positive. The search first and reduced fees are positives but most of the rest are negatives. Certainly the risk/cost/benefit was better with II compared to RCI in this area. However, if we were allowed to directly it's likely we could go back and join II as well as usually those situations are grandfathered in.

We booked awhile ago for Longboat key fl and there were no hidden fees. Our trip is in the latter part of July.

DVC now has 2 average resorts in Aruba, as compared to 8 resorts, many being much nicer. I did call and complain and they said they were constantly meeting with RCI to try and add more. They know that the RCI offerings are much more limited than I.I. Call and voice your displeasure.

I was just online this afternoon looking at RCI exchanges for DVC and there were more than 2 listed in Aruba.

I was amazed at some of the extra costs, too, for some of the properties. One said there was a $10/day charge plus electricity!

I was just online this afternoon looking at RCI exchanges for DVC and there were more than 2 listed in Aruba.

I was amazed at some of the extra costs, too, for some of the properties. One said there was a $10/day charge plus electricity!
There are currently nine though I'd throw out the AI option. NONE of them match the qualify of the 2 Marriott's or possibly even the Renaissance though. Several are with II and RCI and many of the new deposits are going II from a couple of them from what I've heard. Many also charge utility fees as you note, this is not uncommon in the Caribbean. Some also have daily maid service of some type, likely most of them actually.

Here's the last fee list I had:

Timeshare taxes: US$6.00 for a studio, US$6.50 for a One bedroom and US$7.50 for a two-bedroom for each day of occupancy

RCI has many aruba resorts but DVC only has access to 2 of them. The 2 choices are costa linda and divi residences. When u click on Aruba on the map there are 2 ballons. these are the only two offered to DVC. Spoiled bry the Renaissance

RCI has many aruba resorts but DVC only has access to 2 of them. The 2 choices are costa linda and divi residences. When u click on Aruba on the map there are 2 ballons. these are the only two offered to DVC. Spoiled bry the Renaissance
I counted 9 using the DVC link and I count 11 resorts in the wish book, the direct RCI link is down right now. I think you are mistaken on the 2 resorts only in the RCI-DVC listing for Aruba, I'd suggest you try it again.

RCI lists more aruba resorts than DVC members can book. If you click on region or map of the Carribean you will see the two balloons to click on . DVC confirmed by phone that we can only choose choose those two resorts not the others ones RCI lists on thier site, I appreciate your help but I have researched this with DVC and I think you are mistaken.

RCI lists more aruba resorts than DVC members can book. If you click on region or map of the Carribean you will see the two balloons to click on . DVC confirmed by phone that we can only choose choose those two resorts not the others ones RCI lists on thier site, I appreciate your help but I have researched this with DVC and I think you are mistaken.
Now I see what you're doing wrong. When you get to the map with the balloons on it, click on the "list view" tab and you'll actually get 9 choices. Alternatively zoom in and you'll start to see more choices.

Thanks for your help,but the resorts that show on the list tabs are not available for DVC exchanges. Member services told me that those are RCI resorts but DVC can only exchange with the two resorts that are highlighted on the map with highlighted balloons

Thanks for your help,but the resorts that show on the list tabs are not available for DVC exchanges. Member services told me that those are RCI resorts but DVC can only exchange with the two resorts that are highlighted on the map with highlighted balloons
That's not true. If you go to the map page you're referring to and zoom in, you'll see all 9 resorts that way as well. It seems either you misunderstood some info, things have changed since you called them or they simply gave you incorrect information. Either way all resorts on the list are available for exchange from what I've seen. You may want to give them a call back.

i am a RCI and II member and i have been trying to book on disney property for 3 years now with no success - i look for the last week in sept and the whole month of october any size (my II trade is a studio and a 3 bedroom and my RCI is a 3 bedroom) - i have stayed several times at other time shares in orlando but really want to give my daughter the "disney" feeling so it looks like as of right now i am booking a disney hotel directly since i have again been waitlisted for a disney property trade.

i am a RCI and II member and i have been trying to book on disney property for 3 years now with no success - i look for the last week in sept and the whole month of october any size (my II trade is a studio and a 3 bedroom and my RCI is a 3 bedroom) - i have stayed several times at other time shares in orlando but really want to give my daughter the "disney" feeling so it looks like as of right now i am booking a disney hotel directly since i have again been waitlisted for a disney property trade.
Disney is no longer with II (though not yet removed from their system) so you know that's not happening. RCI is a little more strenuous on trade power requirements than is II. Within the last 2 weeks I've booked a 2 BR and a 1 BR at BCV through RCI and a 1 BR at BWV all for the same week (4 & 5 Sept). There have been mid Sept weeks in both RCI weeks and RCI points. If you haven't seen DVC for Sept lately, you likely do not have sufficient trade power to secure DVC.

There are lots of cheap resale timeshares that you could purchase and have good access to many more RCI trades than DVC gives you:confused3 I find DVC's move to RCI to benefit nobody but DVC itself. It certainly didn't benefit the members as far as I can see.

At this point, we're giving DVC one more year and then probably selling it if they don't start becoming more user-friendly again. The switch to RCI and the limitation to 2 active waitlists per member are the 2 big things working against us remaining DVC owners. We could just trade in cheaply with any number of timeshare traders if we really wanted to...there isn't really any point to owning DVC anymore at this rate.

Also, we discovered cheap Wyndham resale contracts and have been going to Bonnet Creek a lot this year as a result. We love it there and actually ended up there rather than at DVC for our annual Thanksgiving and XMas trips this year. We may just get more cheap Wyndham points and get rid of our DVC points.

Your trade power through RCI is probably not very high. My in laws have RCI and we were able to trade for a 2br in Jan for the week of our choice at several DVC resorts. We had also checked Sept and it showed a lot of availablity. RCI does weight trade power heavily. THe thought is that if they can't rent out the week you trade in, it does them no good. My in laws themselves are also staying DVC in April and had several choices. I believe they are going to be there the week after Easter and just booked a few weeks ago.

We have been trying to trade to use RCI for skiing in the Vt. area, tried over New Years, which I was sure we would not get, but now have changed to the 1st week in March still nothing open so put on a wait list to see if anything opens. What are my chances of getting something, I have never use our DVC outside of Disney yet.

We have been trying to trade to use RCI for skiing in the Vt. area, tried over New Years, which I was sure we would not get, but now have changed to the 1st week in March still nothing open so put on a wait list to see if anything opens. What are my chances of getting something, I have never use our DVC outside of Disney yet.
Not very good I'm afraid. As a rule, top options during top times aren't available and when they are, it's often 1-2 years out. With RCI, I'd start searching a full 2 years out when one has the chance and anything under a year I'd consider late though many of the points resorts won't become available until 10 months out. ALWAYS do a waitlist, you can cancel later if your plans change and get a refund of your exchange fee if no match has been found. Your next likely window is 45 days out or less. Being able to accept a smaller unit will improve your chances also, esp for a studio. The limited number of resort options for this area also works agaist you. Still, no harm in trying.

The one thing about how the change works is that certain resort options automatically come on board at MN 10 months out but MS isn't open then and DVC members don't have direct access to search online. I wonder if this makes the difficult options no available to DVC members or if RCI has someone looking for them?

Good luck, I hope it works out.

I was looking at some RCI exchanges (I know, I know, not the 'best' deal with dis points), but it seems that the availability of resorts is..dwindling. For example, there are only 2 pennsylvania resorts, but the regular RCI site lists over 20, and one that i was looking at in particular was removed for the Dis options through RCI. I know i didn't buy DVC to go someplace else, but seriously for the cost of the points and maintenance I could have bought something through, lets say Marriott, paid less in price and points and still would have been able to stay at DVC resorts if I wanted to.

I was looking at booking some nights in Europe (Paris & Barcelona) pre- & post- DCL cruise but there's NOTHING in either city available at thru thru RCI, let alone for short stays.:sad2: DVC has really zapped all the choices out of it for us.

I was looking at booking some nights in Europe (Paris & Barcelona) pre- & post- DCL cruise but there's NOTHING in either city available at thru thru RCI, let alone for short stays.:sad2: DVC has really zapped all the choices out of it for us.
II doesn't have much to speak of in those areas either and with VERY limited exceptions, only does full weeks anyway. I don't think the move from II to RCI made much difference in this type of situation, if anything. The losses, IMO, are the Marriott's in Spain and near Disneyland. RCI is likely better situated for Europe than is II overall with 6 resorts in Paris and 5 in Barcelona. Unfortunately, as is generally the case in Europe, all of the resorts are below par comparatively from what I can see.

My husband and I just used DVC for an RCI trip for the first time since owning in 2002. 4 nights in a 1 BR at the Suites at Attitash in Bartlett, NH. We had to use some banked points and since we were already booked for the BCV for Oct, we had to do something. We had enough to book two shorter trips through RCI in NH. Have another one booked for Eastern Slopes in North Conway in Feb. For us, it worked well. It is off season right now and didn't use that many points. The 1 BR was too big for us. But it was in a newer building and beautiful.

We visit this area once or twice a year and pay $500 for 2 nights at a nice hotel. We can drive there and don't have the cost of airfare. We were very interested in the RCI timeshare as far as buying there, but decided to hold off and see if it doesn't work out better continuing to go there though our DVC.

As for hidden fees - I didn't much care for the $95 "transaction" fee, but it wasn't hidden. Now I'm finding it is much higher than other timeshares, but that's a DVC thing, as far as I can figure out. They did say up front that there is a $36 "housekeeping" fee, but they did not say it was per day. It was for the trip because we didn't stay a full week.

I am used to having just the trash and towel deal at BCV. In NH, they explained the $36 fee. I didn't see a housekeeper the whole 4 days, made my own bed, etc. so what would a daily fee be for? They also asked that we strip the bed before we leave and take all trash to the dumpster. I didn't care for all that. I felt it should come under the "housekeeping" fee. They also, when we got there, asked for a credit card and said there would be a $40 charge only if something was damaged or missing. Ok on that.

All tolled, it was still pretty cheap for a 1 BR unit in a very nice resort for a 4 night stay and we would go there again but get a studio to save points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter