RCI help needed

lovinpoohbear

lovinpoohbear
Almost a DVC member :cool1: and have a question about DVC using RCI. I see on www.dvcfriends.com that there are a lot of resorts to choose from. I see Sandals Ocho Rios listed as a resort throught RCI with mandatory all inclusive. I cannot see how many points I would need to stay there? Is it a weekly fee or can you use points per night, therefore making a 3 night stay? I am confused, I know that you must pay a $95 fee to do the exchanging,
Thanks in advance!
I see a points chart like a one bedroom is 13 points Red week (not sure if that was the exact number) but using that as an example. Does that mean that ALL of the resorts including the Sandal Jamaica is 13 points per night???

Almost a DVC member :cool1: and have a question about DVC using RCI. I see on www.dvcfriends.com that there are a lot of resorts to choose from. I see Sandals Ocho Rios listed as a resort throught RCI with mandatory all inclusive. I cannot see how many points I would need to stay there? Is it a weekly fee or can you use points per night, therefore making a 3 night stay? I am confused, I know that you must pay a $95 fee to do the exchanging,
Thanks in advance!
I see a points chart like a one bedroom is 13 points Red week (not sure if that was the exact number) but using that as an example. Does that mean that ALL of the resorts including the Sandal Jamaica is 13 points per night???

Several posters here have reported that the additional fees needed for many of the "All-Inclusive" resorts, in addition to the points, are outrageous. Often the fees alone are the same or more than a full cash reservation.

:scared1:

My guide makes it seem like if I buy 100 points now, that instead of going to Disney one year, I can use the 100 points and stay at a 4* resort in the Caribbean.
He specifically mentioned Aruba.

My guide makes it seem like if I buy 100 points now, that instead of going to Disney one year, I can use the 100 points and stay at a 4* resort in the Caribbean.
He specifically mentioned Aruba.

You certainly have the opportunity to trade out. It's just that the RCI all-inclusive fees are often sky high. I'd be looking at other options besides all-inclusive.

and what they consider a 4* resort aren't necessarily the case. Please look at the reviews of the different resorts prior to booking so that you won't be disappointed.

As far as a points chart for RCI this is what we DVC members get:

2010 *Per Week
Low (RCI Blue) Season 1br-124 2br-207
Med (RCI White) Season 1br-144 2br-252
High (RCI Red) Season 1br-160 2br-270

Thanks in advance!
Don't buy DVC with the intent on exchanging and definitely don't do so expecting to get good places for only 3 nights at a time. As noted, Mandatory AI options tend to be very poor deals and very expensive options. Did you pick up that resort as an adult only resort?

While researching an RCI exchange I found out the mandatory "all inclusive" fees are upwards of $90 per person per night. :faint: No thanks! :rolleyes:

While researching an RCI exchange I found out the mandatory "all inclusive" fees are upwards of $90 per person per night. :faint: No thanks! :rolleyes:
They are variable as to cost, quality and what's included. You must look at each one separately to see how it fits your situation. As a rule, mandatory AI are a poor choice but there are exceptions for some people's situation. It ultimately depends on how your choices fit in with the AI. Those who drink a lot and eat a lot can often make out, esp if you can utilize the recreation options to advantage as well. In general those with optonal meal plans or AI options are a better deal because they have to compete for the dollars and/or you can taylor them to your needs or at least leave them be if they don't fit your situation well. The other issue is the quality, many (esp the better priced ones) are not that great on the food. In addition, one can often get the same thing for cash with air and a free room for the same or less than the AI cost by itself. BTW, I've seen costs exceed $3100 for 2 for a week. Also, many of them require you pay based on the room occupancy rather than those traveling.

They are variable as to cost, quality and what's included. You must look at each one separately to see how it fits your situation. As a rule, mandatory AI are a poor choice but there are exceptions for some people's situation. It ultimately depends on how your choices fit in with the AI. Those who drink a lot and eat a lot can often make out, esp if you can utilize the recreation options to advantage as well. In general those with optonal meal plans or AI options are a better deal because they have to compete for the dollars and/or you can taylor them to your needs or at least leave them be if they don't fit your situation well. The other issue is the quality, many (esp the better priced ones) are not that great on the food. In addition, one can often get the same thing for cash with air and a free room for the same or less than the AI cost by itself. BTW, I've seen costs exceed $3100 for 2 for a week. Also, many of them require you pay based on the room occupancy rather than those traveling.

I drink more than I eat while on vacation. ;) And especially when going to Mexico I would never choose an AI; the local fare is far better than anything even a good restaurant has to offer. :thumbsup2 Two .50 tacos from a stand and I am golden! :cloud9: Not even the best AI can beat the local bars' Dos por Uno. :woohoo:

I drink more than I eat while on vacation. ;) And especially when going to Mexico I would never choose an AI; the local fare is far better than anything even a good restaurant has to offer. :thumbsup2 Two .50 tacos from a stand and I am golden! :cloud9: Not even the best AI can beat the local bars' Dos por Uno. :woohoo:
And that's a point I've made several times in the past, what you're giving up. For places like Cancun, PV, HI, Aruba and similar you'd be giving up a lot of experience and great choices. For Cozumel, Jamaica, DR or more isolated locations, not so much.

Ok thanks for the info. I had seen Sandal Jamiaca listed. I didn't know there would be extra fees for the all inclusive.
No, I am not buying DVC to really "exchange" We primarily travel to WDW each year. I am starting with 100 points and most likely will add on in the future.
I just was so excited to see Sandals listed and was wondering how the exchange with it would work. Thank you:)

And that's a point I've made several times in the past, what you're giving up. For places like Cancun, PV, HI, Aruba and similar you'd be giving up a lot of experience and great choices. For Cozumel, Jamaica, DR or more isolated locations, not so much.

I guess giving up is in the eye of the beholder. :goodvibes For us, experiencing the local fare, people, and customs is more gratifying than visiting an Americanized version of Mexico. :thumbsup2 I have done an AI in Cancun and didn't find it worth it. At all.

OP, have fun no matter what you decide! :banana:

I guess giving up is in the eye of the beholder. :goodvibes For us, experiencing the local fare, people, and customs is more gratifying than visiting an Americanized version of Mexico. :thumbsup2 I have done an AI in Cancun and didn't find it worth it. At all.
We are in agreement, maybe I didn't word it well. Missing out on seeing the area and great local restaurants is something I wouldn't want to do for most places.

Ok thanks for the info. I had seen Sandal Jamiaca listed. I didn't know there would be extra fees for the all inclusive.
No, I am not buying DVC to really "exchange" We primarily travel to WDW each year. I am starting with 100 points and most likely will add on in the future.
I just was so excited to see Sandals listed and was wondering how the exchange with it would work. Thank you:)
No extra fees, now that would be something pretty special for some. Like free Premium dining plan only better for some resort. The Sandals resort is an interesting history. An existing timeshare when it was bought by Sandals.

We are in agreement, maybe I didn't word it well. Missing out on seeing the area and great local restaurants is something I wouldn't want to do for most places.

:thumbsup2 Gotcha. I misunderstood. :upsidedow I think I have RCI wait list on the brain. :scared:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter